Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Can't Handle Extra Fat page

bexy is offline Junior Member

Body Can't Handle Extra Fat

Primal Fuel
    I've started reading the Primal Blueprint yesterday. I also tried following the diet yesterday, but today I had some digestion problems. It seems my body didn't like the extra fat I consumed yesterday. Is this something my body will get used to, or should I cut down on the fat?

I also have another question. Are meats such as salami or sausage okay to eat if they don't have preservatives or nitrates in them?

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bexy View Post
    I've started reading the Primal Blueprint yesterday. I also tried following the diet yesterday, but today I had some digestion problems. It seems my body didn't like the extra fat I consumed yesterday. Is this something my body will get used to, or should I cut down on the fat?

I also have another question. Are meats such as salami or sausage okay to eat if they don't have preservatives or nitrates in them?
    What did you consume yesterday? It may help shed some light on the issues. Some people aren't able to tolerate too much fat. Myself, on the other hand, thrive on a high fat diet, but it also depends on the type of fats that I am consuming. I don't feel well consuming a lot of oil, but fat from fatty meats and butter, I feel great. As far as salami or sausage, I personally don't eat either of them (didn't before either), but that's not saying you can't. If you make them yourself or if you know what's in them and you are okay with the ingredients, then I would say that they could be a part of your diet.
    Last edited by Metric; 06-05-2012 at 07:26 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My wife can't handle excess fat either, but somehow manages to choke down coffee with cream instead of milk. So that's a good way of sneaking 'invisible' fat into your diet.

And a big yes to real sausages that are without preservatives/nitrates. The kids love them.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Ditto on posting what you actually ate. No way to tell what the offending factor may be without that.

Well, I am still learning but I'm starting by avoiding grains and sugar. I didn't plan for dinner, so I ended up eating fried chicken. Yeah I know, not the best choice. Other than that I had eggs cooked in coconut oil, natural bacon, coffee with half & half and Splenda, raspberries with Mexican crema, natural salami, cream cheese. I think some sunflower seeds too. I can't remember if there was anything else. I know Splenda is no good, but is there anything I can use for sweetener?

Again, I'm a total noob so I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

Fried chicken is delicious. Just make sure you cook it in saturated fat like butter/ghee/lard instead of vegetable oils.

Lots of people on here use sweeteners like stevia. I don't - if I want something to be sweet, sugar is fine, just in very small quantities. Maybe switch to the 'good' coffee and drink it without sugar at all?

You're definitely on the right track. I start with banning Wheat, PUFAs and processed food. From there, minimise nonfat dairy, legumes, sugar, other cereals, but don't feel you need to be a nazi about it or beat yourself up over social occasions or things like that.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-05-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bexy View Post
    Well, I am still learning but I'm starting by avoiding grains and sugar. I didn't plan for dinner, so I ended up eating fried chicken. Yeah I know, not the best choice. Other than that I had eggs cooked in coconut oil, natural bacon, coffee with half & half and Splenda, raspberries with Mexican crema, natural salami, cream cheese. I think some sunflower seeds too. I can't remember if there was anything else. I know Splenda is no good, but is there anything I can use for sweetener?

Again, I'm a total noob so I don't really know what I'm doing yet.
    You could ease into primal gradually, making one small change at a time. The easiest thing I did was clear out the seed oils and use coconut oil, bacon fat, butter and olive oil for everything. Then I cut out wheat and legumes, followed by other grains (I have since added back in occasonal rice and oats). I avoid soy completely and have minimal corn. No HFCS. I've increased the fat content and quality of dairy that I buy. We already ate grassfed beef and wild game. I eat more salads and cooked veggies and less fruit.

By removing wheat, soy, corn and seed oils that cuts out probably 90% of packaged and processed foods. I never set out to eliminate sugar. I just happened as a byproduct of cutting out processed crap. Beyond that, the degree of primal that I eat from day to day varies widely.

Just eat real food, as close to its natural state as possible.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Fried chicken is delicious. Just make sure you cook it in saturated fat like butter/ghee/lard instead of vegetable oils.

Lots of people on here use sweeteners like stevia. I don't - if I want something to be sweet, sugar is fine, just in very small quantities. Maybe switch to the 'good' coffee and drink it without sugar at all?

You're definitely on the right track. I start with banning Wheat, PUFAs and processed food. From there, minimise nonfat dairy, legumes, sugar, other cereals, but don't feel you need to be a nazi about it or beat yourself up over social occasions or things like that.
    Well the chicken was takeout, so I don't know what it was cooked in/with. I've tried Stevia and it's good for recipes, but I didn't really like it in coffee. With sugar I feel like I have to add way too much in order to get the sweetness I want. Maybe I will give Stevia another try.

Heh. Maybe you need to wean yourself back down to just one teaspoon of sugar per cup? You may find that your tastes change as you recede further from wheat and PUFAs as normal diet elements...

Like Sandra, I never tried to completely eliminate sugar. It's just that cutting out processed food dramatically reduced my sugar intake. And have you met my good friend dark chocolate?

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Take-out fried chicken is something you definitely want to avoid. Almost certainly fried in some kind of nasty vegetable oil, after being coated with flour (gluten) and a variety of nasty sugars and chemical enhancements. A recent thread exposed the chemical stew that the "healthier" alternative-- grilled chicken-- was soaked in before grilling. Also, you don't seem to have ANY vegetables in you menu-- that should be a major part of your daily intake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast