Thread: Not Losing page

MisturrBlake is offline Junior Member

Not Losing

So I'm pretty short for an average teen male. I'm 5'2 and I weigh approx. 120 lbs. Before I starting paleo, i weighed 113 lbs.

I've been doing paleo and exercise about 3 months ago. Some HIIT, and weight training. Recently, I've incorporated long, slow walks. (A few days ago) I feel great, love the food, etc. However, my main concern is losing weight. Specifically, losing body fat. I'm a bit chubby at around ~14% bf. I know some muscle gains have contributed to my weight gain.

I really don't know. I've reduced my carbs/sugar to around 20g or below and my dietary fats make the bulk of my calories. I believe I consume about 1200 cal. per day.

I've been thinking about upping or lowering my calorie intake. Help?

P.S. I need to lose weight to make my wrestling class in the winter.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    You really need to bulk up instead, if you're "chubby" at 120 lbs. Sounds to me like you need to go up a weight class in wrestling and focus on getting fit and healthy instead. I've got a buddy who's 5'3", very slight build (Asian guy), and ripped to shreds at 135, so I'm sure you could put on a ton more weight and be way more fit.

Licorice is offline Junior Member
    I agree with EyeOfRound. Judging from what you wrote, your focus should not be on the numbers on the scale. You do not weigh alot and even if you lost weight you could be losing muscle more than fat.
    Two suggestions to get rid of the 'chub' would be:
    1. Try lowering your fat intake and upping your protein. Sounds like your body is using the fat you eat as fuel without digging into the fat stores on your body.
    2. Increase the intensity of your exercise regime

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    You really need to bulk up instead, if you're "chubby" at 120 lbs. Sounds to me like you need to go up a weight class in wrestling and focus on getting fit and healthy instead. I've got a buddy who's 5'3", very slight build (Asian guy), and ripped to shreds at 135, so I'm sure you could put on a ton more weight and be way more fit.
    +1.

vtphoenix is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd also say to not worry too much about your fat percentage, especially as a teen male. Depending on your age, race, genes, some of that may be required for growth when you hit a growth spurt. As a male, you can still be growing until about 20-21 years of age. I was 5'5" 145 my junior year of high school and by senior year I was 6'0 and 150. I grew another two and a half inches in college. So, while I was chubby in my junior year, all that was converted as I grew taller.

So, like the other posters said, focus more on getting fit. Unless, of course, your entire family is short and you don't expect you'll grow anymore.