Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you doing everything right and not losing? page

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member

Are you doing everything right and not losing?

Primal Fuel
    I just want to share some recent info I got from my doctor (less than a week ago).

Basically, I have been struggling for over a year. I was diagnosed with low thyroid March last year, and started basic thyroxine meds. My levels were all normal, so I believed the doc when he said I was fine.

However, over the last year and a bit I gained about 12kg. I would be stgnant for ages - where in spite of eat well, counting calories and running every day, I could not lose anything. No grams, no centimeters. Then I'd have a family function, holiday etc, and relax my diet slightly, and on would come a kilo. And I could never shift it. Over and over again. For some reason my body couldn't lose weight, and I was flat out maintaining.

I went primal start of this year, and slowly worked through everything I could think of to try and lose - eat more, eat less, eat protein for breaky, IF for breaky, no dairy, no caffeine, low carb, moderate carb, mopre weights, less weights, sprints every week. You name it, I tried it. I asked on the boards, got suggestions, tried them, no luck.

Meanwhile I was gaining, my mood and energy were dropping, and eventually I started going back to old ways and eating junk food etc, because I was so fed up, apathetic, sometimes depressed, felt like a failure at this etc.

Finally I thought - there HAS to be something wrong with me. You can't do everything right and not lose, unless something else is going on. And it's not natural to gain weight so quickly from little indiscretions. My GP wouldn't help, the endo he referred to me was condescending and dismissive. But eventually, after shelling out a lot of money for non-medicare blood tests etc, I got onto a GP in Sydney who would listen. Turns out my body isn't converting my thyroid meds (T4) into T3 properly - thus slowing my metabolism, making me tried, sad etc. She also said that the symptoms which I'd reported to my doc and had been dismissed were all hypothyroid symptoms - yellow hands and feet, cold hands and feet, as well as the weight and tiredness. I also had low hormones (testosterone, progesterone, estrogen), and low DHEA. She did a reflex test and my muscle reflxes were slower than normal, and she calculated my metabolism was about 900 calories lower than it 'should be' for someone my age. No wonder I couldn't lose and felt like sh*t!

I am about a week into some meds she has given me to help restore my metabolism, so hopefully within a few weeks I'll start seeing some losses. I'm already feeling better mentally.

The point is, eating primally and exercising primally doesn't ALWAYS work. It's a great start, but if you're being honest with yourself and REALLY trying everything and nothing works, don't be afraid to ask for more help and demad more of your GPs.

As an aside - my triglycerides were very low (so even healthier than healthy!), the hdl , ldl etc were in healthy range, I am very low risk for diabetes, my vitamin d, b, iodine and iron were all sufficient, and apart from the above hormonal issues I am healthy as a horse - which I think is a big endorsement of the primal way of eating!

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    That's why I have asked my GP to test my T3 every time he tests my TSH. You're right... when you have that much trouble losing weight and feeling good there is something wrong! I'm glad you found the solution!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You may check out this book, and look into doctors that know how to treat thyroid in a more comprehensive manner. New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS

Cheers Neckhammer, I had seen that stuff before, it was more a case of finding a doc willing to listen! Which luckily I did.

I just posted because for months I was just so frustrated and couldn't understand why nothing worked, and was on the verge of giving up completely. And I've heard thyroid conditions are actually very under-diagnosed, so there may be many people out there who can benefit from having it checked out that don't realise it.

Licorice is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    ...The point is, eating primally and exercising primally doesn't ALWAYS work. It's a great start, but if you're being honest with yourself and REALLY trying everything and nothing works, don't be afraid to ask for more help and demad more of your GPs...
    Love this! Your are so right! Thanks for sharing your story! I had a similar story (doing everything right/no weight-loss) and my blood test results showed that I have PCOS.
    If you have tried everything and nothing works...go see your Dr! and find one that is supportive

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Licorice;857321]Love this! Your are so right! Thanks for sharing your story! I had a similar story (doing everything right/no weight-loss) and my blood test results showed that I have PCOS.
    If you have tried everything and nothing works...go see your Dr! and find one that is supportive [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that's the hard part. Most doctors I have been to think I am just a hypochondriac. I had much better luck with Naturopaths. There are a small percentage of doctors now that also practice Natural Medicine but the waiting lists for them are HUGE and so are their consultation fees......

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I have Hashimoto's, and one of its characteristics is an eventual problem with converting T4 to T3, so about 5 years after my diagnosis, my T3 suddenly 'tanked'--and my symptoms were extreme fatigue--plus gaining 10 lbs in 2 weeks when I had been steadily losing a pound a week and didn't change anything in my diet or exercise routine.

Fortunately, I have a great endo and had been seeing him for 5 years, so he immediately checked my T3 (it was so low that it was below the lab range), and now I take T3 as well as T4. Although my fatigue vanished almost immediately, those darn 10 lbs had to be lost the same, slow way as all my other weight.

My point is that if I was an undiagnosed hypothyroid, and this happened, it would be difficult to get a doctor to 'believe' me, since they'd just see some woman making excuses for her weight gain. Many doctors test only T4 because they learned in med school that the body converts T4 to T3 (which it does normally), so they'll tell you that your thyroid is 'fine.'

Licorice is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    Unfortunately that's the hard part. Most doctors I have been to think I am just a hypochondriac. I had much better luck with Naturopaths. There are a small percentage of doctors now that also practice Natural Medicine but the waiting lists for them are HUGE and so are their consultation fees......
    My Dr is a conventional Dr. She does not practice Natural Medicine but she actually suggested I go Paleo (she did not know I had been playing around with it for a while). I find Naturopaths too wishy washy and also too anti-medicine.
    The main thing is really to have a relationship of trust with your Dr and for some reason it sounds like you have not been able to establish that trust with a conventional Dr. Interesting to think what the reason may be..

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    What we are kinda talking about is practitioners of Functional Medicine....from what I see you can find Chiropractors, Naturopaths, Acupuncturist, Osteopaths, and some Medicals that focus on this area. The fella who wrote the thyroid book above is a Chiropractor by training.

The problem with finding a "conventional" doctor (I assume you mean MD) is that they have to relearn how to process information. They basically have to be reprogrammed from how they were taught in school (and learn a slew of new things they were never taught) if they want to think and work holistically. Some do it and do it well. Most don't bother. It's tougher, insurance doesn't pay for the procedures as well, and you have to invest more time with each patient....all leading to a cash based practice with rather high fees.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Too right Neckhammer. Add to that fear of litagation - if they were to stray from the standard 'evidence based' path of practice, and something were to happen, surely they'd be open to litigation? Plus if they were to dig deep for information on every patient - then it wouldn't be just thyroid, but every condition, and whose doctor has time to do that? It's a struggle to get an appointment with my regular GP - and he just didn't have time to invetigate the ins and outs of thyroid treatment. Meanwhile the GP i got in to see who is a thyroid 'expert', self-taught, gave me a one hour consult.

I was seeing an accupuncturist and naturopath previously, but it didn't help me much. I stopped seeing my accupuncturist just before seeing this new GP, we sort of agreed that whilst my hormones were so far out of whack, it would be basically like trying to push sh*t uphill trying to treat me with accupuncture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast