Thread: ketogenic eating and maintaining alkaline pH is it possible? page

osteo33 is offline Junior Member

ketogenic eating and maintaining alkaline pH is it possible?

Shop Now
    Hi,
    I have a question as to whether one can eat a ketogenic diet (using paleo principles) and maintain an alkaline pH? I have been paleo for several months and although feel good I have been really struggling with my health after sinus surgery 3 months ago. I had complications requiring antibiotic cover (5 courses so far needed) and just recovering from post and middle lobe pneumonia. I eat no grains, legumes, dairy sugar etc but have not been in ketosis (I check) due to eating pumpkin, sweet potatos odd banana, some fruits etc. I have heard it is important to maintain a more alkaline pH for health and decreasing systemic inflammation. Can one really be alkaline with a ketogenic diet? I wish to try ketogenic as I am getting fat (no exercise post surgery) but think I might have the protein: fat ratio wrong ie eating higher fat but also higher protein (still if in excess converts to sugar)...
    thank you in advance

Petra is offline Junior Member
    Hi Osteo,

Like you I feel that a combination of Primal and anti inflammatory diet is a way to get rid of some issues.
    I aim to eat more fish, salmon, sardines. Mostly in my lunch salad.
    And I've found that ginger tea is a great way to get inflammation reduced.
    Oh and do not forget your mind...think about fun nice thinks, it reduces cortisol!

take care,
    Petra

peril is offline Senior Member
    Do you have any evidence that pH is significant?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

patski is offline Senior Member
    Chris Kresser says what you eat has no significance on blood pH and urine doesn't quantify overall pH. t wish I could find the link to it...
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    PH is crucial to life but it shouldn't be too high or to low (too much alkali is as bad as too much acid).
    So crucial it is, our acid base homeostasis, that our bodies have different buffering systems which fight to maintain it keeping us between a healthy compatible with human life 7.35 - 7.45 range -how narrow it is?
    To rise our blood PH when it gets too low our body will first try some bicarbonates, some intracellular compensation, it will accelerate respiration (respiratory compensation) and our lovely kidneys will start excreting ammonium producing more bicarbonates as a by product of the acid clearing work they're making. Kidney compensations works slower but is damn efficient.
    To low our PH our lungs retain CO2 at their best through hypoventilation but our kidneys need to go extrawork excreting bicarbonate, a job they are not that good in doing.

As you see we are good at getting more alkaline on our own but not that great into compensating alkalosis, this because alkalosis is not something that happens a lot in nature. You could have some rare conditions which imply loss of hidrogen ions but that's not exactly the rule, or you could vomit your entrails out and that could do the trick, or maybe by taking some diuretics things could get messed up. Or you could hyperventilate for your own reasons and go respiratory alkalosis, have a bad walk in high altitude and get the worst surprise of your life, all of this nasty things.

Chances are -if you are not diabetic- you'll get some lactic acid around sometimes and your body will make up for it producing bicarbonates and going all through its well designed buffering system cascade, it's what should happen when you push it to the limit. Or maybe that bad gastrointestinal diarrhea thing will cause some excess loss of bicarbonates after a while and your doctor will see to keep you hydrated with the right electrolyte solution, other cases are not that frequent and if you're lactic you'll never know how an acid base imbalance feels anyway -it feels awful, I always go out of my way avoiding it.

Ketosis might become ketoacidosis if taken to an extreme level, but that's not a risk you could face if you are a healthy person following a balanced primal diet full of veggies and good unprocessed nutrient dense food full of minerals and good things our body needs for proper functioning.

If your PH drops too much be sure it won't be on dietary bases alone, acid bace homeostasis is something your body will totally outreach for and if its not getting to it then there's something awfully wrong besides diet -diabetes, bad lung condition, terrible renal disease, bad intoxication case, or you've been sniffing glue (don't laugh, it could happen) or well, you got the winning ticket in a statin rhabdomyolysis lottery -yeah that's not fun, I know).

Hopefully this will help you feel more comfortable with your ketosis achievements, get some alkaline drops for the water if you really think you must do it (a potassium loaded salad would work, magnesium rich greens too), and ask your doctor for information as long as he should have a better background than I have.

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.