Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying Primal While Abroad Without Snobbery page

toadlady is offline Junior Member

Staying Primal While Abroad Without Snobbery

Primal Fuel
    Hello!

I'm a new member here and have been living Primal for just over a month. I absolutely love it and want to adhere to the lifestyle indefinitely.

My husband and I will be spending 3 months working/volunteering in the remote Belizean jungle this fall, and I'm hoping to be able to stay Primal there. I know typical fare in Belize is heavy on rice and beans, which I definitely want to avoid, and I'm not too worried about that since I'm sure there will be fruits and veggies I can eat instead. However, I'm not sure how much meat will be available each day, as our host family will be providing all meals.

I think eggs will be readily available, so I'm looking for advice on whether eggs can/should be substituted for meats if I can't get access to them. I feel that this could be an easy solution that would allow me to get the protein/fat I need without coming across as ungrateful or demanding by requiring meat. Although it certainly wouldn't be ideal, is there any reason not to consume so many eggs? Alternatively, I could purchase extra meat in the nearest town, but money will be tight since we won't be getting paid (instead, we'll be compensated in room/board and meals). Also, in that scenario I'd feel rude not purchasing enough meat for everyone.

I don't want to compromise my lifestyle choices, but also don't want to be perceived as a snob, asking our hosts to go to great lengths and expense to accommodate my preferences. Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Joy

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Maybe tell them that those things can make you feel ill? No host wants to make their guests sick. Just a suggestion.

SuBee is offline Member
    Honestly, I'm not sure there's going to be any tactful way around this. If you are guests in someone's home, unless they are unusually wealthy residents of rural Belize, I think part of the experience is going to involve eating the food they provide.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    I'd say that, when traveling, it's best just to go with the flow; just try to avoid the most toxic foods (like wheat). It's only three months, in the long run, and you don't want to ruin the experience by being hung up on food the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by SuBee View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure there's going to be any tactful way around this. If you are guests in someone's home, unless they are unusually wealthy residents of rural Belize, I think part of the experience is going to involve eating the food they provide.
    Ditto to that! Also, doesn't it strike you as rather ironic that you are going to a part of the world that is far, far more "primal" or "back to nature" than the USA and yet you are critical of THEIR FOOD??? Why not just eat what they do and see how you feel on that type of diet. You can always eat a bit less of the beans and rice if you want, but it would be rude to refuse completely.

I can just imagine what your hosts would be thinking "stupid Americans and their finicky first world diet ideas, they are telling US how to eat???"

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Remember that the more you work with your muscles, the more simple carbs you burn off. So you may actually need the rice for fuel if you are doing physical work all day.

toadlady is offline Junior Member
    @ Sandra from NZ:

Quote: "doesn't it strike you as rather ironic that you are going to a part of the world that is far, far more "primal" or "back to nature" than the USA and yet you are critical of THEIR FOOD???"

I want to be clear that I'm not trying to be critical of their diet at all. I'm simply looking for suggestions on how to best stick with mine, and if that's not possible, or not tactful, I'll just have to roll with the punches (which is absolutely fine)! I like rice and beans as well as anything else, but I LOVE the way I feel eating Primal, and want to keep the momentum going if I can.

I am absolutely not wanting to come across as a "stupid American" which is why I asked for feedback on what would be considered acceptable in this situation. At the root of my original post was just a question of whether eggs work as a (perhaps long-term) stand-in for meat.

I should mention that the host family are American ex-pats, so it's not as though I'm going into this trying to insult the culture of a rural Belizean family. In fact, it's likely that there will be meat available- just posing this question so I can easily adapt to the situation in the event that things aren't what I expect.
    Last edited by toadlady; 06-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuBee View Post
    +1

Just ask for gluten free, and offer to pay for any ingredients they would buy specifically to accommodate you.

Licorice is offline Junior Member
    When eating differently to other people you'll get one of 3 reactions:
    1. They feel put down/insulted so in turn put you down for the way you're eating
    2. They feel sorry for you that you can't eat the foods they love or they perceive you wanting
    3. They respect you for sticking to it (quite rare
    You want to aim for reaction #2 which is why I suggest faking allergies Best excuse and it almost always works.
    I've done quite a bit of travelling and always find that half of me looks forward to being home again so I can eat normally (what I consider to be normal) and feel good.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by toadlady View Post
    Hello!

I'm a new member here and have been living Primal for just over a month. I absolutely love it and want to adhere to the lifestyle indefinitely.

My husband and I will be spending 3 months working/volunteering in the remote Belizean jungle this fall, and I'm hoping to be able to stay Primal there. I know typical fare in Belize is heavy on rice and beans, which I definitely want to avoid, and I'm not too worried about that since I'm sure there will be fruits and veggies I can eat instead. However, I'm not sure how much meat will be available each day, as our host family will be providing all meals.

I think eggs will be readily available, so I'm looking for advice on whether eggs can/should be substituted for meats if I can't get access to them. I feel that this could be an easy solution that would allow me to get the protein/fat I need without coming across as ungrateful or demanding by requiring meat. Although it certainly wouldn't be ideal, is there any reason not to consume so many eggs? Alternatively, I could purchase extra meat in the nearest town, but money will be tight since we won't be getting paid (instead, we'll be compensated in room/board and meals). Also, in that scenario I'd feel rude not purchasing enough meat for everyone.

I don't want to compromise my lifestyle choices, but also don't want to be perceived as a snob, asking our hosts to go to great lengths and expense to accommodate my preferences. Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Joy

That's so awesome that you are going to Belize! Wow. If it is rural, like someone else mentioned, I feel like the food would be a lot less processed, than SAD? have u research what kinds of cultural foods are staples? someone also said you have just have little of the rice and bean and stock up on any primal choices. Would definitely not advice snubbing their food, I was born in a culture where that could be perceived as disrespect...lol If all else fails like earthspirit said, you can always say you are allergic.... Good luck and have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast