Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't sleep. page

Alphess is offline Junior Member

I don't sleep.

I have what I think is delayed sleep insomnia. It takes me hours on hours to fall asleep, and I don't hit deep REM. This comes and goes in cycles, which is what I find odd- it'll come for one to two weeks then I'll spend the next one or two weeks adjusting back and then it comes again. I've tried every suggestion and homeremedy in the book, it just.. doesn't work. I don't know.. But I honestly need more than two to four hours a night with my training volume. And I don't want to go to medications.. I've been taking melatonin on and off, but that doesn't to too terribly much.

Any suggestions?
    "...there was about him a suggestion of lurking ferocity, as though the Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept." - Jack London, "White Fang"

billp is offline Senior Member
    Have you seen the "Iodine Anyone?" thread? Apparently iodine will cure that, along with everything else. I'm not normally that keen on quackery, but I am going to try iodine when I get round to buying some.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Agree with Sihana's suggestions 100%. Also, i would add cold thermogenesis to the game plan.

My husband and I also have severely messed up sleep - he has trouble falling asleep, we both have trouble getting deep sleep throughout the night, and we generally wake up feeling more tired than before we went to sleep. We've started a new 'lights out' policy - we turn off any electronic light at around 10pm, then hang out in the dark for about an hour. The darkness has actually started triggering him to get sleepy much earlier. We have blackout curtains in the bedroom (neither of us can sleep if there's even the littlest bit of twilight). We also take magnesium citrate before bed. The maganesium doesn't seem to help us sleep, but my muscles get tight if I don't take it.

Also, taking a cold bath or shower right before bed seems to help a lot of people with getting deeper sleep. I think it's been helping me, but its hard to tell if its also due to the lights out policy or CT or both.

I also have significantly worse sleep if I'm fasting - so I don't do any 36-40 hour fasts much anymore, I usually try to have a big hearty dinner, but not too close to bedtime, or my heavy stomach will keep me up.

Also, don't know how you feel about taking OTC medications (I generally try to take them as infrequently as possible) but if i feel worried I'm about to have a crap night of sleep, once or twice a week, I'll take 2 benedryl. They're very safe in terms of not having bad side effects, the worst is that they might make you a little groggy in the morning, but i find they help me to get deeper sleep when used sparingly.

Also, another OTC thing you might want to look into is Phenibut. It has a long half-life (so major grogginess next day), and it takes a long time to kick in (I take it at 4-5pm if I'm planning to go to sleep around 11-12pm), but it's another thing that helps me get some good quality sleep.

For me, natural herbal stuff like Valerian doesn't do anything.

Sleep deprivation is awful - you're not alone.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 06-05-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Are you depressed? Overstressed? I'm asking because the things that affect my sleeping patterns negatively the most are all mental.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    I don't get much sleep due to night sweats from menopause. I have learned to set the house temp to 71 and have a fan blow on me. Plus get plenty of exercise. It seems to help.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    This is a small detail, but white noise can also help. I keep an oscillating fan on next to me and it definitely helps me sleep. I second blackout curtains. Natural Calm definitely works; in fact, nothing has been helped me sleep as much as magnesium, and I have tried EVERYTHING. For me, 2 tsp. is great, but it builds up and gives me diarrhea (apparently this happens when your magnesium is replete); when that happens I stop taking it for a few days and then restart. Acupuncture has helped me a lot with sleep, and so have the mysterious chinese herbs that my acupuncturist gives me. I would give you the name, but it's in chinese so I can't. Try burning some lavender incense in your room before bed, too.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    P.S. Getting vitamin d is really important. Try to get in some sun midday and if you're not, then supplement. Drops are best; take your supplements midday with a meal that has some fat in it.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Have you seen the "Iodine Anyone?" thread? Apparently iodine will cure that, along with everything else. I'm not normally that keen on quackery, but I am going to try iodine when I get round to buying some.
    I started that thread.

And to say "Apparently iodine cures everything" is the wrong way of looking at things. Because it's having a healthy thyroid that fixes many issues, not iodine directly. And if one is supplementing with Iodine, they also need selenium

It's not quackery, you're just looking at it wrong. When one cuts out processed foods and thus also cuts out refined salt, they are loosing probably their ONLY source of iodine. Which is why switching to a healthy diet means you need to find a new source of iodine. When someone is eating an otherwise healthy diet and is experiencing problems, it's thus logical to ask the questions "How's your thyroid?", "Are you getting any iodine?".

If you're not getting enough (or any) iodine or selenium, your thyroid is not going to be optimal. And an unhealthy thyroid is a surefire way to make yourself feel like crap, and experience a myriad of negative symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triiodothyronine (T3 hormone)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroxine (T4 hormone)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothyroidism
    Last edited by Bosnic; 06-05-2012 at 08:05 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Lots of good suggestions here. Mine 2 cents

1. Eliminate 100% of caffeine from your diet. All of it - even decaf coffee and tea for 1-2 months to see what happens.
    2. F.lux
    3. Topical Magnesium brine on your skin one hour before bed or natural calm magnesium before bed.
    4. Does benadryl make you sleepy? It can be helpful to have some on hand - not for every night, but just knowing there is a way to get to sleep if you really need it can take some of the pressure off. It will lose efficacy if you take it too often.
    5. Some people find a tsp. of honey before bed can help.

Insomnia is brutal and really sucks. Caffeine elimination combined with magnesium pretty much took care of my really bad insomnia. Every now and then it happens again, but i take a benadryl on those rare occasions.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphess View Post
    I've tried every suggestion and homeremedy in the book
    Can you say what those are?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast