Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't sleep. page 2

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You should do whatever the hell I do. I hit REM sleep during a quick 5 minute nap. I think it has something to do with being immature since babies hit it easily too.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Man, I have done every single thing anybody here has listed so far, except for cold thermogenesis (I have Raynaud's and my hands/feet completely drain of blood if exposed to the cold - - highly unpleasant). Not one of them has done a damn thing. My bedtime rituals are ridiculously long and complicated at this point and I still don't get more than about 5 hours. It sucks, sucks, sucks. I am eating soooo clean right now, it is massively frustrating to feel like absolute crap all day, every day. Ugh. If anyone figures out how to get the body to stop pumping out cortisol in the middle of the night, PLEASE TELL ME.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Marijuana
    Personally I find that smoking before bedtime keeps me awake and makes it hard to settle and get comfortable. But different people react differently.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Nossar is offline Member
    5-htp around 4pm/5pm 50mg with food to prevent nausea was the only efficient cure for my onset insomnia, worked better than my sleeping pills (I'm on Ambien). I now fall asleep in 15 minutes. Worth trying if you haven't yet, timing is important either the 4/5pm moment of taking the pill (before bedtime is useless) and try to go to bed whenever you feel sleepy (work out your proper bedtime, mine was surprisingly early: 10pm to 11pm or else I stay awake until 3am which is my next sleeping time).

Quote Originally Posted by Nossar View Post
    5-htp around 4pm/5pm 50mg with food to prevent nausea was the only efficient cure for my onset insomnia, worked better than my sleeping pills (I'm on Ambien). I now fall asleep in 15 minutes. Worth trying if you haven't yet, timing is important either the 4/5pm moment of taking the pill (before bedtime is useless) and try to go to bed whenever you feel sleepy (work out your proper bedtime, mine was surprisingly early: 10pm to 11pm or else I stay awake until 3am which is my next sleeping time).
    Hmm I tried 5-HTP once and was awake the entire night after I took it. Afraid to try it a second time. Although I also had a similar experience with the much-vaunted iodine. I was literally buzzing all night, physically exhausted but feeling like someone had injected me with the caffeine in 8 espresso shots. I tried that about 4x, separated by a week or more in between, with the exact same results. No more iodine for me!!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    ... I have done every single thing anybody here has listed so far, except for cold thermogenesis (I have Raynaud's and my hands/feet completely drain of blood if exposed to the cold ...
    IOW, you've done suggestions 1 to 10 out of post #3's list of 11.

In addition you've tried:

• phenibut (post #4)

• a fan blowing on you (post #6)

• white noise and acupuncture (post #7)

• iodine and selenium (post #10)

and

• benadryl (post #11)

It's a bewildering array of suggestions.

It's a shame you can't take the cold. It seems there's been some success getting insomniacs to sleep by providing them with chilled pillows. Those seem to be on the market now.

I liked the long list in post number #3. I wondered about this one: "9. Learn meditative breathing". Could you re-visit that even if you've done something like it before? Not necessarily the breathing but some kind of meditative technique. You might experiment with these guided meditations that combine the "being still" aspect of traditional meditative techniques with binaural beats. They have apparently sent off a few people who have had trouble sleeping. Episode 1 might be worth a try, or episode 14, which is specifically aimed at sleep:

The Meditation Podcast - learn to meditate, guided meditations, binaural beats - free download or subscribe in itunes

Or a more traditional technique like mindfulness meditation might help.

Here's an off-the-wall suggestion. I don't know whether it's ever been used for insomnia, but how about neurofeedback? It seems to be capable of re-regulating many brain functions and an impressive array of general biological responses. It's even been used with success with some previously highly intransigent problems like alcoholism and combat stress. It's not cheap, but if it would work for the purpose -- which is what I don't know -- it might be worth the cost. Among Paleo people, I know Nora Gedgaudas uses it. She seems quite approachable: maybe you could drop her a line and ask if it's ever been used for insomnia:

Contact | Primal Body Primal Mind Diet and Nutrition
    Last edited by Lewis; 06-07-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Why do you think you need to sleep at night?

You may be nocturnal.

I don't naturally sleep until at least 4:00 AM. Then, left to my own wild devices, I will wake in the early afternoon. They say about 1 in 100 people are nocturnal. We are needed. Throughout history as guardsmen and night-fire keepers, we have stood watch over the day-walkers. Much like the section of ADHD people have been essential for hunting and busting spies from other tribes, the nocturns have been maintained as a slice of humanity to help the whole. It is only recently that our niche has been eliminated and we have been forced to try living an unnatural daywalker schedule. If you think you may be a nocturn, you must stand strong. Work a night shift and find out how much better life is when you sleep when you were born to sleep.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    IOW, you've done suggestions 1 to 10 out of post #3's list of 11.

In addition you've tried:

• phenibut (post #4)

• a fan blowing on you (post #6)

• white noise and acupuncture (post #7)

• iodine and selenium (post #10)

and

• benadryl (post #11)

It's a bewildering array of suggestions.
    I missed the bit about phenibut and acupuncture, but yes to all the others. 9 years of insomnia (since I was 21) will do that. And yes I would agree that meditative breathing is great for de-stressing, and it does let me sink down into this totally relaxed state where I feel like I'm floating. Doesn't do any good though, I still feel like someone jammed a needle full of caffeine into my vein. You can be totally relaxed, physically exhausted and yet still unable to sleep ... they call it "wired and tired".

Every night before bed, I (1) sit/walk outside around sunset, (2) drink no caffeine all day, (3) avoid looking at the TV or computer, and if I do for a short time the computer has F.lux on it, (4) eat virtually no sugar, even minimizing the amount of fruit I consume, (5) take melatonin, (6) take Serenagen, (7) take two different herbal remedies, (8) take Natural Calm, (9) take a bath in epsom salts with lavender oil, (10) sleep in a room with blackout curtains, (11) run an air cleaner for white noise, (12) put in earplugs if I can hear anything, (13) run the fan and (14) take unisom. That's just every night, and doesn't count the myriad of things I've tried and discarded after feeling that they didn't help (or made things worse, like iodine). It's totally nuts, right?

Nossar is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Hmm I tried 5-HTP once and was awake the entire night after I took it. Afraid to try it a second time. Although I also had a similar experience with the much-vaunted iodine. I was literally buzzing all night, physically exhausted but feeling like someone had injected me with the caffeine in 8 espresso shots. I tried that about 4x, separated by a week or more in between, with the exact same results. No more iodine for me!!
    well, good to know it doesn't work with everyone.
    I'm currently off it thanks to cognitive therapy, worth trying too

Quote Originally Posted by Nossar View Post
    well, good to know it doesn't work with everyone.
    I'm currently off it thanks to cognitive therapy, worth trying too
    Maybe I'll try that or the neurofeedback ... if the naturopath I just started seeing can't help. I've only seen her once so far so I'm gonna give her some more time. I like to give everything at least a month to possibly help, unless I have a REALLY strong reaction to it. Might also have to try to 5-HTP again but take it earlier like 5 pm. I would do just about anything at this point if I thought it would mean I could actually SLEEP ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast