Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A challenge - primal after-game 'snacks' for baseball team (10-11 yr olds) page

TamiO is offline Member

A challenge - primal after-game 'snacks' for baseball team (10-11 yr olds)

My son has been playing baseball since he was 4, and the normal routine for the season is that each parent takes turns bringing a snack and drink for the team, and this is handed out to kids after the game is over. This happens at least twice a week for a month and a half in the summer.

I would say the majority of the snacks over the years have been pretty bad - cookies, chips, those little plastic barrels filled with some sort of colored who-knows-what beverage. Pre-primal the best we could come up with when it was our turn was 100% juice and something like Cheez-Its (less sugar than cookies or 'fruit snacks' which are related to fruit about as much as I am related to Marilyn Monroe).

Luckily for me my kiddo has been known to have issues with food coloring so he knows that some of these snacks he can't have (cheetos, doritos, evil fruit-juice impersonating beverages) and he is ok with that. He knows if he eats them he will get a migraine! But, I think there has to be a way to do better.

I'm looking for suggestions, but the normal lunchbox fillers we send with the primal kids lunches are probably not quite right here. It needs to be held in the hand and quick/easy to eat, not be something so out of the ordinary that the kids won't eat it, and palatable for a typical 10-11 year old boy. It also needs to be prepared ahead of time and eaten cold or room temp. (See why oreos are so popular??). I hate for my kiddo to have all that sugar so close to bedtime, and twice a week. And just giving him something primal while the other kiddos get 'fun' food seems sort of unfair. I want him to WANT to eat the primal foods, but by forcing it on him it will only make him negative about eating this way.

I digress.... any awesome ideas about a yummy snack? Cheese and salami?

It's also possible I am trying to correct a nearly impossible situation, and I need to let it go.... so don't be shy about telling me to get a life and let the snacks be the '20' part of the 80/20.

Fire away....

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I can get the giant boxes of cheese strings at costco, so i would hand those out, and dried fruit baggies, something fun like dried coconut (I can get the big chunks at my hfs), dried cherries and dried mango.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

icz
    icz is offline Member
    I was suprised when my son's teammates turned their noses up at Kashi granola bars! They even had chocolate chips in them! Have you googled a recipe for homemade Lara bars? Or maybe baggies of trailmix? (you could put a rogue m & m in there, too. )

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Trail mix (coconut, dried fruit, cacao nibs) and coconut water. Beef jerky, homemade cheese crackers, energy balls. String cheese or homemade bars are also good ideas.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

TamiO is offline Member
    String cheese is a great idea! I haven't been eating much of it lately, so it didn't immediately spring to mind. I have to figure out first which brands are worth getting... I am a little picky about string cheese, having grown up with the real Wisconsin version. The last batch I bought at Wal-Mart last time (Sargento maybe?) tasted like plastic and got tossed out.

I thought about coconut water, but it's too expensive for the whole crew, plus I really wasn't sure the kids would drink it - I know I have a hard time with the flavor. DS drinks the V-8 Fusion with no sugar added (we spent 20 minutes checking all the versions and actually found one with no sugar or fake sugar) and this might be an acceptable alternative to sugar-laden frankenjuice in those little barrels.

Any good recipes for the homemade cheese crackers?

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    Party food springs to mind for me.

Cocktail sticks with cheese and pineapple on, cocktail sausages that sort of thing.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Orange slices are a kids soccer favorite.

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    We coach/ team mom our son's teams and I send out an email at the beginning of the season requesting healthy snacks and a list of ideas. I always have a few parents who cop and attitude about it and tell them it is just a request, but most are pretty compliant. On our days I did bottled water, string cheese, and those freeze dried packs of fruit they sell at Costco. Some of the kids refused them until I told them it was astronaut food. At any rate when I was a kid we got orange slices or an apple after games, why all the crap nowadays after exercising no less? My list of ideas (not all primal since this is for the whole team)
    granola bars, fruit leathers, fresh fruit, carrot sticks with or without dip, crackers and cheese, string cheese, dried fruit, trail mix, 100% juice or water

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    one parent made skewers of kiwi and string cheese cut into bite size pieces. They were a huge hit and really tasty!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    100-calorie-packs of almonds.
    "Breakfast on the go" packets of granola.
    Small cans of pre-made Tuna salad.
    Or if you really want to go for the gusto: pre-wrapped squares of Ghiardelli 72% chocolate (although, that works with girls better than boyz).
    Beverage: Bottles of no-calories flavored seltzer water. In a pinch, Gatorade with less sugar.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast