Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in need of curry recipe page

PandaRose is offline Member

in need of curry recipe

I want to make my first curry ever!! I have some curry paste, coconut cream and milk (I know both probably aren't necessary), an assortment of spices and vegetables, and some cubed meat. Will somebody please share a recipe with me?? Thank you in advance.

By the way, I don't have a food processor. Is one necessary?
    Last edited by PandaRose; 06-05-2012 at 12:19 PM.

DeilaMiah is offline Senior Member
    PR.

Basic Curry Recipe

Ingredients

2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2-4 tablespoons curry paste (to taste)
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 can full fat coconut milk
    1 bag frozen chopped spinach (optional, but it is just OH SO GOOD in curry)
    1-2 cups water (depending on how thick you want the sauce)

Melt the coconut oil over med-low heat. Add in the chopped onion and saute until just clear, about 5 minutes. Add in everything else and turn to low. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add in pre-cooked meat and simmer to heated through.

This should do 1-2 pounds of sliced chicken, shrimp or sliced steak. Cook the meat (protein) separately then add into simmering sauce. You can thicken the sauce with 1-2t of guar or xanthan gum before adding in the protein.

This is awesome spooned over riced, cooked cauliflower.

OH and..... you can replace the coconut milk with a small can of diced tomatoes. That gives you a totally new curry flavor.
    Last edited by DeilaMiah; 06-05-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Last thoughts
    If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeilaMiah View Post
    PR.

Basic Curry Recipe

Ingredients

2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2-4 tablespoons curry paste (to taste)
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 can full fat coconut milk
    1 bag frozen chopped spinach (optional, but it is just OH SO GOOD in curry)
    1-2 cups water (depending on how thick you want the sauce)

Melt the coconut oil over med-low heat. Add in the chopped onion and saute until just clear, about 5 minutes. Add in everything else and turn to low. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add in pre-cooked meat and simmer to heated through.

This should do 1-2 pounds of sliced chicken, shrimp or sliced steak. Cook the meat (protein) separately then add into simmering sauce. You can thicken the sauce with 1-2t of guar or xanthan gum before adding in the protein.

This is awesome spooned over riced, cooked cauliflower.

OH and..... you can replace the coconut milk with a small can of diced tomatoes. That gives you a totally new curry flavor.
    Okay - this makes me wish I had either coconut milk or frozen spinach in my pantry/freezer right now - and yeah, curried spinach is so yummy... I'm going into my pantry to figure out similar flavor experience for the frozen veggies I do have and a couple of eggs...
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

PandaRose is offline Member
    thanks guys!!!

patski is offline Senior Member
    I did a lamb curry and posted about it on my blog: primalpat.com

It was honestly FOODGASMIC!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    used to make with chickpeas all the time, now make it with chicken or lamb -
    curry paste is 1 part ground coriander, 2 parts ground cumin, 1 part ground cayenne, 1 part ground turmeric, 1 part fresh ginger. plus one diced onion and one diced garlic bulb. fry the onion in butter (duh!), add as much curry paste as you fancy and stir it around a bit, then add your cubed meat of choice and fry a little while longer. add some quartered mushrooms (about the same amount by volume as the meat), one tin of chopped tomatoes, and a little stock to bring the liquid level to just surrounding the mushrooms and meat (not all the way to covering it). put the lid on and let it stew for about 20 minutes, then take the lid off and let it simmer and thicken for another 10-15 minutes. add a handful of fresh chopped cilantro (fresh coriander to brits/aussies) and adjust curry seasonings, salt & pepper to taste. if it's a bit thin, thicken with some ground almonds. devour.

^adjustable as per spices (hotter = more chilli powder or fresh chillies or whatever lifts your luggage) and if you want it to be fattier - and let's face it, we're primal so why not, you could add some double cream or coconut cream at the end. also, sometimes i pre-fry the mushrooms till they shrink and release their liquid and discard it - just cos it tends to turn the curry a bit gray. but sometimes i'm too lazy and i don't bother.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I dump a can of coconut milk into a pot and scoop out a few spoonfuls of Thai Kitchen green curry (or empty a packet of some other curry paste) into it. That's it for the sauce.

Add chopped of veggies of whatever kind is in the fridge.

Add either frozen seafood (shrimp, scallops, squid) or perhaps leftover roast beef or chunks of chicken or heck, even a can of tuna will do.

Top with cilantro.

Serve it over either rice or chunks of sweet potato or chunks of cooked real African yams.

Red curry works, too, but I like the green better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Clarisze is offline Junior Member
    Some days ago I've tried the Basic curry recipe (ive never cooked it before) and I loved it! and it turned out to be not so hard as i expected. I'm also going to try to make chicken curry with coconut milk the recipe of which is described at this page.
    Last edited by Clarisze; 09-20-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    INGREDIENTS:

1 Tbsp cooking fat of your choice. I like ghee
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tsp fresh minced ginger
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 Tbsp red Thai curry paste
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 can light coconut milk
    1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4"cubes
    1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
    1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced
    Juice of one lime
    1 Tbsp fish sauce (optional)
    Fresh cilantro or basil, for garnish

In a large saucepan, heat the oil on medium. Add the garlic, ginger, and onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken stock and coconut milk.

Simmer the curry

Bring the mixture to a simmer, add the sweet potato, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the green beans and chicken. Cook the mixture until the vegetables are just tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes more.

Add the lime juice and fish sauce (if you're using it). Serve the curry over steamed brown rice and garnish with cilantro or basil if you like. Makes 4 servings

PER SERVING: 440 calories, 31 grams (g) protein, 45 g carbohydrates (5 g fiber), 15 g fat, 660 milligrams sodium

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use

Everyday Chicken Curry | Mark's Daily Apple

The tomatoes kind of dissolve into a paste, very easy and curry tasting. I use oysters instead of chicken. Also you can add coco milk to cut the spiciness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast