Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread

Hybrid View

otzi Guest

Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread

Howdy All! Mark has been writing a lot lately about using cold water for numerous primal benefits such as fat loss, exercise recovery, and increasing metabolism through brown adipose tissue (BAT).

Here are some links to Mark's previous blogs on the topics:

Cold Water Therapy | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Conduct a Personal Experiment: Cold Water Plunges | Mark's Daily Apple

Dear Mark: Leptin Resets, Cold Thermogenesis, and Safe Starches? | Mark's Daily Apple

Is Brown Fat Good For You? | Mark's Daily Apple

There are other 'guru's' touting the benefits of cold water, let's leave them out of this and focus on tearing into what Mark Sisson is finding. His latest challenge on self-experimentation is a great place to start this thread, maybe his next book will use our data!

There's already this thread. I thought you had posted in it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread50560.html
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

otzi Guest
    Anyhow, I have been a fan of the cold for years. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, one of the coldest cities in the world. I have incorporated cold into my workouts and life. I retired from the Air Force in 2004 a little on the heavy side, but over the next few years I ballooned out of control. I was a 42 year old guy, 5'11, 250lbs, on all kinds of medicine for full-blown metabolic syndrome type stuff (high bp, high chol, gout, hypothyroid, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease, etc...) Fast forward to 2010, I discovered Mark's daily Apple and started eating and exercising according to the blueprint and have lost nearly 100lbs and weigh 165.

Last Winter, I was at that dreaded 'last 10 lbs' phase. Carb cycling, IF'ing, sprinting, LHT, all that couldn't bust it. I turned down the heat in my garage where I exercise to 40 degrees, abandoned my winter clothing for any outdoor activities just short of frostbite and hypothermia, began taking cold plunges in water from 32 - 80 degrees. I studied all I could on the physiology of cold adaptation. I went from 177 in January to 165 now. I lost almost all traces of belly fat and increased gains on lifting.

I'd love to share what I learned with you guys. As Mark says--there is merit to cold water therapy.
    Last edited by otzi; 06-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.

That is studly! I have not been consistent enough to use cold water therapy for fat loss, but I can definitely attest to the benefit in terms of recovery. I have a pond on our property and when it is frozen (late Nov-Feb) me and my training partners follow a tough workout with a cold water plunge. I have entered the water with a lot of pain and soreness and when I get out (run out screaming) I am a new man! I don't need any other research than that.

I am glad to see Mark's views all in one place with a link. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Howdy All! Mark has been writing a lot lately about using cold water for numerous primal benefits such as fat loss, exercise recovery, and increasing metabolism through brown adipose tissue (BAT).

Here are some links to Mark's previous blogs on the topics:

Cold Water Therapy | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Conduct a Personal Experiment: Cold Water Plunges | Mark's Daily Apple

Dear Mark: Leptin Resets, Cold Thermogenesis, and Safe Starches? | Mark's Daily Apple

Is Brown Fat Good For You? | Mark's Daily Apple

There are other 'guru's' touting the benefits of cold water, let's leave them out of this and focus on tearing into what Mark Sisson is finding. His latest challenge on self-experimentation is a great place to start this thread, maybe his next book will use our data!
    wait, dude - are you starting another cold water will save us all thread?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    I wanted to let that other thread die. You guys ruined it by dissing the cold so bad. There are people genuinely interested in using cold for health benefits, like, oh, Mark Sisson. Mark did another 'cold will save us all' blog just today.

People have been asking a lot lately about how to get started with cold baths. One of the first steps is getting used to the cold water. This can be done by activating your built-in 'mammalian dive reflex'. When you put your face in water colder than 55 degrees, your brain thinks you fell in the water and does some miraculous things. It slows your heart rate, constricts peripheral blood vessels, and changes the way your lungs exchange oxygen.

Doing this a few times will acclimate your body to the changes that happen when you get cold. You should try doing this a few times before your first cold water experience. Just fill a sink with cold water and ice cubes, put your face in and hold your breath. When you can't hold any longer--you are done (30-60 seconds). Do it a few times the day before your first cold water bath and you will be good to go.

If you don't believe me, check Google or Mammalian diving reflex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you have done it, tell us about it!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    He's starting another because dissenting viewpoints and discussions of both the pros and cons were not allowed. Either be a cheerleader or a disciple or get off the thread.

OK, I'm off.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    He's starting another because dissenting viewpoints and discussions of both the pros and cons were not allowed. Either be a cheerleader or a disciple or get off the thread.

OK, I'm off.
    Wag More, Bark Less
    bumper sticker wisdom, author unknown

:-)
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Wag More, Bark Less
    bumper sticker wisdom, author unknown

:-)
    Is there anything quite as good as hypocrisy exposed?