Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 9

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, you all were right about cold baths being easier than showers. I took an bath with the coldest water out of the tap and all the ice out of my ice maker, and it was surprisingly easy. Next time I'll get a couple bags of ice from the store and see if I can make it colder. I still haven't had an after drop, maybe bc I went slow, have always handled cold well and am a fairly big guy. We'll see if 20 lbs of ice is enough, or if I'll have to wait for winter.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apex predator View Post
    well, you all were right about cold baths being easier than showers. I took an bath with the coldest water out of the tap and all the ice out of my ice maker, and it was surprisingly easy. Next time i'll get a couple bags of ice from the store and see if i can make it colder. I still haven't had an after drop, maybe bc i went slow, have always handled cold well and am a fairly big guy. We'll see if 20 lbs of ice is enough, or if i'll have to wait for winter.
    win!!!!!
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I had an idea last night, not sure if it was the 3 a.m. not so good idea, but seems like a good one I dont have alot of ice here so I cant really add ice to my bath. I did try some ice packs for my spot icing, that I put back in the freezer. I got to thinking in bed last night, that I could do the same with ice for my bath, like a milk jug of frozen water. Something I could re-use. Except I dont have alot of room in my freezer but I could find some kind of container to fit. Good idea, right?

And I think for my spot icing, it got a little drippy last night. Not sure if condensation or if the ice freezing back up made some sharp edges that poked my bag a little? And I was too lazy to go to the other freezer to check for those lunch box ice pack thingies. But after my milk jug epithany, I thought I could maybe freeze some ice in a foodsaver bag. Those are a little sturdier than the baggie I was using.

Good ideas, right? I think they might have been more like 10pm thoughts
    I do this - I fill up empty yogurt containers with water, freeze them overnight and dump them into my bath. Today I supplemented my standard 7-8 containers (the big ones) with a 20lb bag of ice. I'm actually sitting in this ice bath right now. I find it helps to give my mind something else to focus on, so when I'm taking a cold shower or an ice bath, I always blast loud music and today i put my android tablet in a gallon-sized ziploc baggie so I can read and type without getting it wet.

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    I too did my first cold bath (I have taken at least a dozen cold showers already); it was significantly easier than a cold shower, but more of a pain in the butt waiting for the tub to fill up. I think I'm going to stick with the cold showers, but hop in a cold bath when I have extra time.
    I so look forward to a cold shower now. Anyone else experiencing that? I'm kind of excited to wake up every am; I usually take another one before bed. Got home late last night and didn't want to wake the family by showering. I felt like I deprived myself of something.
    "Your actions speak to me so loud, I can not hear a single word you are saying."

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Nah what's the point of doing CT in the summer.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Nah what's the point of doing CT in the summer.
    Like Mark said in his recent blog about cold plunges--it's easier to try CWT (cold water therapy) in the summer when it could be perceived as refreshing than in the winter. i'm really happy to see all you guys trying this out and talking about it. I have gotten so many benefits from this it's crazy.

I thought I would stop in the summer and pick up again next winter, but I found when I quit, my muscles were sorer and I really just enjoy the cold dips.

That said, I also think there is merit to the idea of just doing it in the winter, sort of a seasonal wake-up-call if you will.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    At what temperature are ice baths beneficial for muscles recovery?

I did 30 min in 48 degrees yesterday and didn't notice any reduction in soreness. If anything, my muscles are even more sore today. How low water temp I have to go for that???

thanks.
    I would think 30 minutes at 48 degrees would be about right for muscle soreness. I know the gyms that have CWT pools use 40 degree water, but that's hard to get at home.

Can I ask a question? Do you ever take Tylenol or antiinflammatories for muscle soreness? I used to. I would take 4-8 per day when I was eating the 'healthy' SAD and running. Since I quit running and went paleo, the muscle soreness I get now comes mostly after heavy squats or sprints. If I do 20-30 minutes in 50 degrees or less, it feels about the same as if I took 3-4 tylenol. The soreness may not be 100% gone, but it definitely feels better.

Anna K. is offline Junior Member
    I don't take anything for muscle soreness, I just wait for it to go away by itself. It was the muscle soreness after sprints and it didn't go away at all. My theory is that may be I stay in the cold water too long? when I get out my muscles involuntarily shiver for may be 20 min. Could it be that shivering after the CWT counteracts it's anti-soreness effect? Shivering is like a workout for the muscles and so CWT becomes a workout on top of my already sore muscles? just guessing here.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    I don't take anything for muscle soreness, I just wait for it to go away by itself. It was the muscle soreness after sprints and it didn't go away at all. My theory is that may be I stay in the cold water too long? when I get out my muscles involuntarily shiver for may be 20 min. Could it be that shivering after the CWT counteracts it's anti-soreness effect? Shivering is like a workout for the muscles and so CWT becomes a workout on top of my already sore muscles? just guessing here.
    Here's a really good article on the subject...foodconsumer.org - Muscle Soreness -- Is Cold Water Immersion An Effective Treatment?

"After analyzing 17 trials involving over 360 people who either rested or immersed themselves in cold water after resistance training, cycling or running, researchers found the cold-water baths were much more effective in relieving sore muscles one to four days after exercise.

They concluded:

"There was some evidence that cold-water immersion reduces muscle soreness at 24, 48, 72 and even at 96 hours after exercise compared with 'passive' treatment."

Just how cold does the water need to be? In this case, most of the studies involved a water temperature of 10-15 degrees C (50-59 degrees F), which participants stayed in for about 24 minutes. Some of the trials involved colder temperatures or "contrast immersion," which means alternating between cold and warm water (this did not show a significant benefit compared to rest).
    "

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    did some ankle stretches in the bath this morning. actually as much of a warrior pose as i could get in the water before an upward dog and then total submersion.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast