Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 5

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Now, when you warm back up is when you can get in trouble. You need to be mindful not to overeat later, same as people who exercise then eat a carton of ice cream.
    ah well maybe that explains it. I ended up with 1673 today, about 400 - 600 more than usual but it is probably okay because sometimes I think I was too low. But knowing and being mindful will def. help me tomorrow.

I went with straight cold tonight. I ate about 3 oz of steak first. I stayed about 35 minutes. As soon as I got out and dressed, (i did put on some socks this time) my internal furnace kicked on and I am hot in various places. I did that briefly while in the tub also.

I havent tried the spot ice yet.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Here's the deal on hunger, and no one can dispute this. When you are cold, you have no hunger. It doesn't matter how hungry you are--when you go into very cold air or water, your hunger disappears. Maybe if you obsess and overthink you can will your hunger back, but in the normal course, cold instantly kills hunger.

Now, when you warm back up is when you can get in trouble. You need to be mindful not to overeat later, same as people who exercise then eat a carton of ice cream.
    A few weeks ago I was hiking in the rain. I had eaten two US Wellness Pemmican bars and had hiked all day and done trail maintenance. My job was to toss large branches over the side of the trail. Pretty tiring work. After a while it started to rain. My poncho was shredded by the brush in about 5 minutes. I got very wet and very cold, being still March and about 4000 feet elevation. By the time I was setting up my shelter for the night, my hands were numb and I was shivering but not yet stupid. Despite having eaten about 800-1000 calories the entire day, I was not hungry at all. I forced myself to eat some chocolate but I couldn't bring myself to make dinner. I should have made something hot to eat but all I wanted to do was cuddle in my sleeping bag.

So yeah, you're right. If you are truly very cold, you lose your hunger for sure.

I ride a scooter most of the time. I hate being cold when I ride. But I could make a point to try and reduce the amount of jackets and stuff I wear and see if that does anything. Or I could just keep backpacking. I keep getting the same cold windy rainy weather every time and I am too dumb to get better gear.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

maile1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhagans View Post
    Jumping in here...As I write this I have two ice packs on my stomach. After 3 c-sections everything on my lower stomach area is a mess.

My question is this: When you spot ice, how long do you leave the ice on? I've been doing it for an hour each day for about 4 days but I'm not sure if that's long enough or maybe too long? I've not had any bruising or pain afterwards so I'm taking that as a good sign...BTW, I'm using plastic ice packs directly on my skin.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Very helpful!
    your skin should be cherry red but not white and the goal is to get skin temps down to 50-55F
    it`s a YMMV situation. If you use gel packs with alcohol in them those get colder than straight water so you have to be very careful with them.
    get a laser thermometer and monitor your skin temps if you like.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    have absolutely nothing to contribute as this is my first time hearing about this cold healing treatment, but wanted to say i am enjoying reading all the comments and experiences. Pretty interesting stuff.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maile1 View Post
    your skin should be cherry red but not white and the goal is to get skin temps down to 50-55F
    it`s a YMMV situation. If you use gel packs with alcohol in them those get colder than straight water so you have to be very careful with them.
    get a laser thermometer and monitor your skin temps if you like.
    You got it right. When I was using the ziplocks w/ice&water, I'd leave them in one area for 15-20 minutes then shift to a new area. I'd do it as long as I could, usually I'd get about an hour out of a baggie.

There is a real danger of giving yourself frostbite. Cherry red is good, white means frost bite zone.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I have some questions about eating and CT. As I was reading through the first CT thread, I saw it mentioned not to eat a huge fatty meal directly afterward, and I think someone said it should be done on an empty stomach, while someone else mentioned eating a big fatty meal shortly beforehand. I may be remembering this wrong, so for clarification:

1) Should you do CT on an empty stomach? (If so, is 2 hours sufficient to wait after eating a meal, or should it be longer?)

2) Is the timing of foods different if one is doing an ice bath vs. spot icing on the stomach or legs?

3) How long after CT should one wait before eating?

4) Theoretically, is the macro breakdown important in that meals that day? (For example, should I do ice baths on my high fat/low carbs days, or is it just as ok to do them on my higher carb/lower fat days?)

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro3 View Post

^^^ buffalo is prime country for cold! Lived there from 06-09 during my college days.
    That's what i keep hearing, but since I just moved here a few months ago, and this winter was the most mildest on record with practically no snow, so far the Buffalo winter has eluded me. I'm excited to be prepared for it next season, though!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Leida, if humans were walruses, and lived in polar water a great deal, then we would need all that extra blubber. Plus they have a high fish intake. Eskimos have round faces, but not round bodies, the ones who never went the white man's SAD route. Diet is very important, more so than cold, but I'm trying cold packs for love handles that are out of control.;-)
    Uhm, those are HUMANS, they are called 'morj' or 'whalrus' in translation in Russia, and they go and jump into frozen rivers and swim for a few moment every winter, generally every weekend. En masse. The practice of applying cold water is called "zakalka" and the verb is "zakal'yat'sya". Erm. Whatever.

@sbhikes: Yep, Russians also jump into snow or get under cold water after banya (a version of sauna) repeatedly, that's normal. It's done in the name of not getting sick in the winter. It does help with that. As for reducing the body fat, heh, we are not known as a nation of slender wisps, I am afraid. Even before wheat got modified, and we ate everything with full-fat raw sour-cream and plentiful vegetables, we were tall, broad, stocky and rather fat.

Here's the deal on hunger, and no one can dispute this. When you are cold, you have no hunger. It doesn't matter how hungry you are--when you go into very cold air or water, your hunger disappears. Maybe if you obsess and overthink you can will your hunger back, but in the normal course, cold instantly kills hunger.
    I dunno, cold weather always make me want a lot of hot food, and when I walk outdoors when it is cold, my appetite heightens. If I ever lose appetite at all it is when it is too hot, not too cold.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-06-2012 at 05:38 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Eric Garza is offline Member
    I started cold water therapy during winters here in Vermont a few years back. We had a mild enough winter this past year (2011-2012) that Lake Champlain didn't freeze, so I was able to go for a dip most weeks this past winter. Since I've been doing this a few years I'm acclimating well to the cold water, and can now wade into 32 F water without any shock response at all and swim around for a few minutes before the cold really starts to feel biting. I can usually stay in the water for another minute or so after it starts to feel biting before I start to shiver, at which point I figure it's time to get out.

I've definitely noticed a reduction in the frequency of sickness since starting this. I used to get a cold or flu perhaps 3-5 times per year, now that's down to just two incidences of cold or flu in the last 3 years and both of these incidences were of a much reduced duration (lasting 1-2 days instead of 3-7). I've always been a fairly lean, muscular person though, so haven't noticed any changes there.

Another benefit I've noticed is that my tolerance for cold water has translated into cold tolerance more generally. This is nice, as it allows me to turn the thermostat down and save money. I recently moved into a new place that only has a wood stove, so now it means less carrying wood this next winter.

Great thread!

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Now I have read that air-cooling does work, but it takes longer, a year and a half. I started with air cooling and then ramped up all my improvements when I went to cool tap water. For me, light CT increased my appetite greatly at first, but after a few weeks it lessened. When I switched to colder tap water, it really cut the hunger. I am looking forward to fall and winter, when the outdoor tub water will get quite cold in the mornings. My theory is that the more intense cold takes down any blood sugar issues immediately, and then insulin will also stay down, keeping hunger low. It would be interesting to see a study comparing what happens in light CT for people doing VLC vs. "safe" starches. I'll bet the safe starch people would have a harder time and would shiver more. Cause, really, if you have to warm yourself up and the sugar is plentiful and even excessive, why not use it before burning fat? Both methods work fine all on their own, but I'll bet the safe starch folks are a bit rusty on the fat-burning unless they have been doing IF or intense exercise regularly.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast