Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 36

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    I have been doing the Tim Ferris's recomendation of cold shower 2x/day and ice baths once or twice a week. Does it work? No idea as I don't really have a control group so to speak.

I am wondering though, how spot treatment works ie ice bag on fat areas? What is the reasoning behind it?
    Spot icing came about when Zeltiq CoolSculpting - Company Info came out. The proper amount of cold applied directly to areas with excess fat can kill the fat cells. I think trying to do it at home with ice packs is not the same as many have found out.

There is another application of spot-icing, though, that does have merit. Applying cold directly to areas of brown fat (BAT) has the proven ability to activate the BAT which in-turn increases metabolism. If you've read this thread, you've seen lots on BAT. It's very interesting. As we get into Winter, it is time to start thinking about this.

I bought one of these https://www.coolfatburner.com//

This is a really well put together ice-pack harness made specifically for icing BAT areas. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Paysan is online now Senior Member
    Problem is, Otzi, that not everyone is able to use this harness as well as the pictured testimonials. Some used it for a couple hours per night. Um, the suggested limit is 30-40 minutes. No diabetics. Well there goes half the adult population! Nobody with asthma, nor skin reactions to cold. OK. Nobody with cardio or heart problems. There goes half the other half.
    Now a lot of these might just be CYR (Cover Your Rear) recommendations to avoid messy litigation and insurance problems. Probably are, AAMOF. Nevertheless, there are enough kernels of truth to provide flashing caution lights to wholesale adoption of cold thermogenesis.
    So how long have you been using it, and how could you possibly improve on your past examples of cold hardiness, or even be able to tell?

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I started taking cold showers and baths a few weeks ago after reading about the benefits of them in a few places, and I must say that I'm glad that I made the switch.
    I sit in a cold bath for 10-20 minutes 4 times a week, (after lifting and boxing training sessions), and I don't feel sore the next day like I would after a hot shower.
    In the morning, and after work on non-workout nights, I take cold showers, and I feel refreshed and relaxed after doing so. I sleep more soundly, and rarely wake up in the middle of the night for a bathroom trip anymore.
    It's uncomfortable at first, but your body gets used to it if you're consistent with it.
    I took hot showers a couple of times this week, just to see if I noticed a difference. Didn't sleep as well, and I felt soreness from my workouts the next day.
    I also feel calmer, and better able to handle stress since I started the cold showers/baths. I don't know why that is, but I'm glad about it nonetheless.
    Last edited by counterpuncher; 10-20-2012 at 04:09 PM.

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    Using the extremely cold and windy conditions of the storms here in the Midwest/East for some CT. Just purchased some new Neoprine foot covers and going to be nearly 40 degrees in there tonight.

I've stopped a bit as I'm really trying to put on muscle mass right now, but it's tough to not take advantage of the temps. I will be dieting down in a few months and plan to use CT to gain some serious and fast metabolic advantages. Anyone else been doing some experimenting?

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Googled it, but still not sure what "Neoprine foot covers" are, or what you'd use them for?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    Typo. It's Neoprene, should be able to find it searching that. Like a wet suit. I've had problems doing extremely cold soaks in my drum because it's a standing 125 gallon tank and I have to keep my feet submerged. I tend to lose feeling in the feet within 45 minutes and it cuts the sessions short. These, along with warm socks underneath will keep the heat preserved in the limbs to maximize time.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I understand now. Booties. I use them for scuba diving. I soak in our tub with 6 -2L frozen bottles of water. I keep my feet in but I"m only in for 20 to 25 minutes.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

wsofteners is offline Junior Member

water filter

I think that cold water doesn't help to loss weight its great to have a Luke warm water to loss water !water filter

are the best way to have a water

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsofteners View Post
    i think that cold water doesn't help to loss weight its great to have a luke warm water to loss water !water filter

are the best way to have a water
    lol
    There comes a time when you become so fat and sick that you're suddenly willing to listen.

Unsolicited Advice Is Welcome Here.

Spinner42 is offline Member
    Bumping this thread up (hope I'm not committing a forum faux pas by doing so). I always love the way it feels to wash my hair in cold water, and the last two days have bathed in cold water (as it comes from the tap). I feel great after! I wouldn't mind losing a little around the hips in doing so, but just the feeling of warmth and well-being once I'm out of the tub makes it worthwhile, and certainly it seems likely we've spent more of our history bathing in cold water than warm. Anyone else taking the plunge around here?

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast