Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 35

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Actually, it just occured to me that you could make a lukewarm bath, get in and get used to it, then run cold water
    This is sort of how I do it. I start with warm water while reclining, after a couple of inches I switch to cold. I havent taken a bath though for a month or two (well not a cold one) I prefer hot baths and just can't get my head back around a cold one again, but when I do take a shower, I will finish it off with a brief cold shower.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    For most of my years living in Minnesota, I did not own a "coat"... I had a hooded sweatshirt that I wore all winter.

I lived mostly in the rural part of western minnesota, where we often had temps of -40F, plus windchill, and snow drifts of 6 to 8 ft high. I did not go out and roll in it, but I did cross country ski (as long as it was at least 10F out, I'd go), and had animals, so I was outside generally at least twice a day. I was very well cold-adapted then.

I've gotten soft here in Washington state. *sigh*

I don't know for sure that it was the cold bath I soaked in last night, or the ice packs I did for an hour while watching Netflix (wearing blue blocking glasses).. but I slept fabulously last night! Oh, and I'm still losing weight.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Then maybe we should do just the opposite--not wear a hat, gloves, or warm socks. I have been CT'ing in cold air for some years, but always wore hat, gloves, boots--maybe it would be better to wear clothes, but keep the hands, feet, head cold as possible...in regards to BAT anyway.
    I'm not sure if there was an allusion to a disadvantage to cold limbs adding stress to a damaged heart in Jack Kruse's blog where he discussed an operation involving icing the heart to cool the brain. The operation was a success, but the patient died. It took them 2 weeks to find out why she died. I shall have to revisit that article and see if my impressions were correct.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    i was listening to a meditation podcast last night before bedtime, and part of it was about visualizing being in warm water...I started feeling kind of hot, and then I thought, 'Damn, why couldn't they have me visualizing a cold bath - that would be more enjoyable!' It's strange how relaxing cold temps can be now.

I cant tell that anything is doing anything. I will say though, my SIL hasnt seen me since we went to Sturgis in early August and she asked me the other day if I had lost any more weight cuz she said it looked like I had. And after the ups and downs all this month, no I haven't. I have actually lost some ground and I am right back to where I was for vacation in August. ugggh.

I havent been doing the cold baths, but I sleep on my cold pack every night, all night long. I think it helps me with those little power surges I have during the night. I have been sleeping better since I have not been waking up hot.

hmmm maybe I need those power surges, I always thought it was part of my weight loss process like it is the fat burner turning on, which hasnt been happening as bad with the cold pack but also I have NOT gained any ground this month. I have my ups and downs so weight loss so far is nil. Actually one pound heavier than the month began.

geesh one more thing to think about in the wth is up with me equation.

I went link hopping yesterday from the leptin question thread, and landed on this one this morning. Interesting the impact on BAT. Maybe it is old news, but I hadn't heard it before.

Green Tea Can Help Your Body Discard Unwanted Fat | Weight Loss News

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I went link hopping yesterday from the leptin question thread, and landed on this one this morning. Interesting the impact on BAT. Maybe it is old news, but I hadn't heard it before.

Green Tea Can Help Your Body Discard Unwanted Fat | Weight Loss News
    I have problems with tea - any tea. It keeps me awake at night if taken after noon hour; and leads to overactive bladder at any time. Not that I don't love it and keep trying, but green tea is my least favourite. I 'm trying again with the ice packs on belly stuff. One somewhat lasting benefit of doing it during the hot months was that I don't seem to need as much heat on near frost, and I am aware that my skin may be cool, but I don't need to put on a sweater. Mind over matter? Don't know, but I like it.

And I'm hoping Otzi can tear himself away from his Tater thread and get back to ice water. (Maybe he won't be able to stand the coid now that his weight has reduced further!;-))

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    And I'm hoping Otzi can tear himself away from his Tater thread and get back to ice water. (Maybe he won't be able to stand the cold now that his weight has reduced further!;-))
    Never! I love the cold. It's already getting into single digits here in Alaska at night and we have 6" of snow already! I've been taking lots of cold walks and planning on some good cold workouts as soon as the river is frozen enough to snowshoe on. I'm not planning any cold icewater baths this winter, just want to use what nature provides. Last winter I got kind of carried away seeing how long I could handle water in the 30's and got up to an hour! This year it's going to be about seasonal living, getting cold and eating lots of fish and fat like my Eskimo neighbors used to do before we enlightened them with McDonald's and Bud Light.

The potato stuff was a perfect transition from Summer fruits to Winter meat.

It's perfectly acceptable to push the envelope when trying to ascertain your personal tolerance to anything, but, after having established that, it's even nicer not to have to! Heheheh. I saw the desperation in a lot of those efforts, and knew it wasn't for me. But I had a lot of enjoyment reading the various n=1 experiments. My own n=1 just keeps me using ice packs whenever I remember. Living doesn't have to be that painful! ;-)

BTW, the Inuit knew enough about the cold that they devised super-insulated down undergarments and water-proof outer garments and kamiuks. They didn't want to be cold, and bathing in icy water was the last thing on their minds. I guess we've forgotten how they adapted to cold.
    Last edited by Paysan; 10-18-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: more info

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    I have been doing the Tim Ferris's recomendation of cold shower 2x/day and ice baths once or twice a week. Does it work? No idea as I don't really have a control group so to speak.

I am wondering though, how spot treatment works ie ice bag on fat areas? What is the reasoning behind it?

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast