Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There went my heading... exploding. Could you repeat all that?

SMITHR is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    From what I've read, any temperature below body temperature activates BAT to some degree, but it has to be lower than 50 for max impact.

Got it? The body senses cold over a range of 50 to 95 degrees. Once the temperature bottoms out in the cold receptors, which is about 10 deg C, or 50 deg F, BAT is fully activated and new BAT is formed.
    What happens below 50 deg F? Are we still activating BAT, or are we just killing the white fat? or both?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    There went my heading... exploding. Could you repeat all that?
    OK. You played in the pond for an hour today. That is great! Play is great! You got a little chilly, that's great!

If your goal is to get your BAT active, you still want to take a soak in cold water today. If your goal is soothing sore muscles...you need another cold bath. If your goal is to destroy fat cells, you need some time with the ice pack.

If your goal is to just be healthy and primal--don't worry about it! You did good today! Everyone should have a pond to play in. Consider yourself lucky.

I see an icemaker in my future. I wonder how DH would feel about getting an icemaker for Father's day

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SMITHR View Post
    What happens below 50 deg F? Are we still activating BAT, or are we just killing the white fat? or both?
    At 50 degrees, you've done all you can do as far as the cold receptors are concerned. BAT will be burning at full speed, all of the non-shivering warm-up tools your body has will be firing.

Lower than that, the body needs to use it's other resources, namely vaso-constriction, shivering, and changing cell-membrane permeability. That last one is why Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio is important.

At colder temperatures is where the anti-inflammatory effects are seen, pain relieving effects, fat cell death, and a slew of other metabolic processes such as destruction of the inflammatory cytokine array and long lasting effects on human growth hormone, thyroid hormones, IL-6 and leptin.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    OK PSA.

for the record.

NO ONE NEEDS TO TAKE A COLD BATH.

I am not your hero or better than you for having reached the ability to sit for hours in 32F water

if you are not fat it can help you increase muscle

if you are fat it can help you remove said fat and much much more

CT is not Primal, Primal is a brand owned by Mark Sission.
    CT is helpful but dont go being stupid doing it.

you may now return to your regularly scheduled CT broadcast
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I see an icemaker in my future. I wonder how DH would feel about getting an icemaker for Father's day
    Better yet, get a Vasper System! Then invite me over to use it!
    Vasper Systems, LLC. - Home

JVib is offline Senior Member
    I'm ready to try this, but I can see where there is going to be a love/hate relationships. I checked onling and the average temp of cold tap water is around 54 degrees Farenheit. I'm only going to have time to do this during my morning shower, which typically lasts no more than 15 minutes (shaving included). Something tells me they will be quicker than that at 54 degrees.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For me the whole cold thermogenesis is a blast from the past, from the cheerful Soviet 1930ies when it was widely popular. In Russia it was always popular for men for centuries (but not recommended for women for the fear of womanly afflictions to the whole child-bearing systems).

Anyway, taking cold showers and adding a cold shower a couple of times when doing a steam room did an absolute zilch for me, as well as life-long of freezing to half death during long winters and year-round morning walks first in unbenevolent climate of Russia, then in the unbenevolent climate of Canada. This, and the observation of very fat 'walruses' or 'morj' who jump into the holes in the ice every winter in Russia makes me a skeptic in the whole cold immersion reduces fat thing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Better yet, get a Vasper System! Then invite me over to use it!
    Vasper Systems, LLC. - Home
    Now that's interesting.

Did I read that some feel it curbs appetite? I dont know why but the past 2 days, I could eat a bear. I have still kept my calories under 1600, so far. Today might go a little more but I am normally in the 1000 - 1200 range.

The baths and doing my tabata on the elliptical yesterday morning are the only things I have done different. I had meant to cut out greek yogurt and bananas and almonds, but today, I had some anyways, well minus the almonds. I also came off an intense past couple of weeks, lots of physical activity around my home & out of town family - a house full.

So I don't know what's up with that.

oops. 1658 yesterday
    Last edited by gopintos; 06-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast