Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 28

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    OT, but been reading on another thread, that too much protein throws you out of ketosis. Any insight? One doctor (I think a doctor) suggests to convert your Ideal Weight to Kilos, and then take that number plus/minus 10% and that is how many grams of protein you should have each day. It further suggests to figure your grams of carbs, take your kilo number times 2. To figure your fat, take that number times 2-3.
    Figuring carbs is your ideal weight in kilos divided by 2 not times 2. Otherwise you got it right. This is loosely base on the work of Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Figuring carbs is your ideal weight in kilos divided by 2 not times 2. Otherwise you got it right. This is loosely base on the work of Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet.

oops my bad. I shouldnt post so early in the mornings
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    I'm too much of a wimp for cold showers, but spend time in a cooling house in minimum clothing and footwear. It was only 5C here this am. I deliberately feel cool, as opposed to my former huddling with extra layers of clothes and the furnace on. . . . My weight hasn't budged, but ... health first.
    Health first indeed.

The cooling house sounds ideal from my perspective. If it stays above 0C, you don't run out of air, you time your exposure and no one can lock you in from the outside it should work well for you. Naked with a pair of fans would kick it up a notch and speed things along when you get to feeling 'advanced'.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamous View Post
    Health first indeed.

The cooling house sounds ideal from my perspective. If it stays above 0C, you don't run out of air, you time your exposure and no one can lock you in from the outside it should work well for you. Naked with a pair of fans would kick it up a notch and speed things along when you get to feeling 'advanced'.
    Unfortunately, others live in my house as well, and either going naked could result in their instant blindness, or sinking to 0C would guarantee a constant battle. It'll be frosty outside soon enough, and I'll see how far this wimpy person will go.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I have my ice pack on Yeah me! I remembered! And it gives me the head to toe shiver-shakes sometimes. I am going to take it to bed with me later also. It will be semi-melted by then probably. I normally get hot on & off all night, but last week I had a hard time going back to sleep. I don't know if it was due to that, or that my brain wouldnt shut off once I was awake.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Unfortunately, others live in my house as well, and either going naked could result in their instant blindness, or sinking to 0C would guarantee a constant battle. It'll be frosty outside soon enough, and I'll see how far this wimpy person will go.
    I thought that your use of 'cooling house' described a separate building or walk-in refrigerator. My mistake.

In my personal experimentation with air cooling when I chill in cold air with fans even a thin undershirt and briefs can spoil the chill.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamous View Post
    I thought that your use of 'cooling house' described a separate building or walk-in refrigerator. My mistake.

In my personal experimentation with air cooling when I chill in cold air with fans even a thin undershirt and briefs can spoil the chill.
    How are your experiments going, or is it too soon to have come to any conclusions? I know Dr Kruse felt that cold water is much more effective for cold thermogenesis than air, but we do what we can.

How are your experiments going, or is it too soon to have come to any conclusions? I know Dr Kruse felt that cold water is much more effective for cold thermogenesis than air, but we do what we can.
    Yes, cold water will suck heat out of you faster than cold still air of the same temperature but the cold air *will* suck heat out of you and a fan's 15 mph wind will suck it out quite fast while still slower than water. Unlike liquid fresh water, which is never below freezing, an air stream at freezing temperatures can freeze your flesh solid in "a New York minute". So don't do naked wind chill in freezing air. In extreme cold weather, liquid fresh water would be safer.

When the air temperature is at the target of 55 F or lower what I do with fans will bring my naked skin to that temperature and keep it there for as long as I can stay in the air stream. It takes longer to do it than with water however. I may be in the stream for 10 minutes before my skin gets to the target temperature. There is therefore no sudden cold shock but Just as with water the colder the temperature the deeper the chill and the more the blood in my arms and legs will be sequestered from the cold yielding a stronger after chill as it is returned.

At about 50 F and below I have experienced my hands start to go numb and I will hide them from the air stream in order to have enough coordination to put my clothes back on 45 minutes later. The coldest 47 F session I did last May had me fumbling like a drunk trying to put my under shorts and shirt back on in order to come out of my little wind tunnel.

A good air conditioner will produce air at about 40 F. Expose some of your naked skin to an air conditioner for a few minutes. Then think about a whole body air bath with a 15 mph air stream front and rear at that temperature. So yes, cold air wind chill will work for what I am after. I had dramatic positive sleep changes and reduced systemic inflammation mere days after I started cold wind sessions in May.

I like the freedom of movement that I have standing up in the air stream.
    I like being dry and ready to go as soon as I switch off the fans.
    I like not having to maintain a cold tub.

I don't know how cold my unheated pool will get this winter but I will watch the temps now that I care and maybe give swimming in it a go too.
    Last edited by Jamous; 08-27-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Haven't looked at this much,
    Is that formula to stay in ketosis?

So if someones ideal weight is 100kg, then this works out to, less than 50g carb to stay keto?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Haven't looked at this much,
    Is that formula to stay in ketosis?

So if someones ideal weight is 100kg, then this works out to, less than 50g carb to stay keto?
    Yep. It is what is referred to as nutritional ketosis, a deep sustained state.

The formula is Ideal Weight in kilos=grams of protein/day take this with a plus/minus 10% range as your target.
    For carbs, Ideal Weight divided by 2 is the upper end target to shoot for
    For fat, Ideal Weight times anywhere between 2 and 3.5 depending on weight loss goals (high end to gain, middle for maintenance, low end to lose)

It's pretty powerful stuff. I'm doing it in order to be able to reduce my dependence on anti-seizure meds. 25% reduction so far with no ill effects.

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast