Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 27

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    The pool should be frozen in January.
    Keep us posted on your progress. I plan to hit the cold hard in another couple months. I'm ditching the indoor treadmill in favor of snowshoeing/cross-country skiing while wearing just enough to prevent frostbite. My diet will change from lots of fruit and veggies to ketogenic seafood with lots of bone broth and offal.

I'm working on the assumption that the natural state of things is to gain weight in the summer and lean out in the winter while eating foods that are naturally occuring in a climate that has marked seasonal changes.

Paysan is online now Senior Member
    Huh! I always thought that people leaned out in summers and packed on about 10 lbs of fat for winter months. But if we don't hibernate, and ditch the carbs as Kruse maintains, then exposure to prolonged cold short of injury can do marvellous things for our health and shape. Maybe we HAVE had it all backwards for generations! The main thing preventing me from adopting wholesale cold exposure is Kruse's warnings that people suffering cardiac problems can't do this. And I'm a cardiac cripple, among other health concerns.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Maybe we HAVE had it all backwards for generations!
    That's what I think. All animals in the north country eat good all summer, get fat, and then don't eat so well and get lean in the winter. Amazingly, they keep their muscles intact and are very fit come spring--minus the fat they accumulated last summer. So fit, that at their leanest, the females give birth and start to nurse young before summer food appears on the scene.

I was raised in Ohio in '65 and moved to Alaska in '83. My whole life I thought it was normal to lean out in the summer and get fat and lazy in the winter. This ill-thought has shaped my life for the worse.

Last winter, I started experimenting with a ketogenic diet and cold workouts. Around mid-April I transistioned to eating seasonal greens, then fruits (along with a Primal diet). I'm presently eating several servings of sugary fruit and garden veggies every day, next month I will start eating white potatoes and nuts until mid-Nov then go fully ketogenic until spring.

I worked hard upping my Vit D levels all summer and have maintained at 170lbs since June. Not bad considering I worked my way up to 250lbs a few years back eating SAD and watching TV all winter with a bag of Oreos on my lap.

I will be most interested in next spring's report, if both of us survive the coming winter.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Been taking cold showers after my morning walk/sprint. Now I'm thinking of rolling around in the snow mostly unclothed come winter to see if it helps LOL.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Paysan

Why don't you adopt the cool shower protocol of Ray Cronise. He feels that benefits can be had from an 80 showers. That is what I do. I had a stroke in Fall 2010 and cannot bend my left leg real well. So, although I had a tub big enough to get mostly submerged, I could not get out. I went from 230 # to 215 # in about 6 weeks, my blood pressure dropped, so O was able to give up a med. We moved the middle of last month, and stress eating (always my downfall), I put some weight back on. At today's doctor visit, I was pleased to see it was only 7 pounds and they weighed me dressed.

Try a few weeks of it and I think you will be surprised. I start warmish (the starting temp is getting cooler) and when I am done soaping, I turn it down just a smidgen. A few minutes later, when Iacclimatedated to it, I turn it down some more. I also suggest getting some spray on your face and turning as temperatureture changes. It helps the total body acclimation.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    In the past few weeks, I've been taking 2+ hour walks during the hottest part of the afternoon in 90+ degree weather with no problem. I'm also equally comfortable in or out of A/C, and while my poor husband is having major trouble sleepling at night due to the heat (here in Italy, it's been 100 degree days all week), I don't even notice the heat.

I've never been able to handle hot weather like this, and right about now I'm really glad I took all those ice baths months ago!

My plans for this fall and winter are to continue my long walks, but dressed in light summer clothing (maybe earmuffs, because my ears are super sensitive to cold wind).

Also, I'm now starting to see the effects of spot-icing my belly - definitely a reduction in fat! I think I'm going to go back to doing that more regularly now that I can see it pays off.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    My diet will change from lots of fruit and veggies to ketogenic seafood with lots of bone broth and offal.
    OT, but been reading on another thread, that too much protein throws you out of ketosis. Any insight? One doctor (I think a doctor) suggests to convert your Ideal Weight to Kilos, and then take that number plus/minus 10% and that is how many grams of protein you should have each day. It further suggests to figure your grams of carbs, take your kilo number times 2. To figure your fat, take that number times 2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    That's what I think. All animals in the north country eat good all summer, get fat, and then don't eat so well and get lean in the winter. Amazingly, they keep their muscles intact and are very fit come spring--minus the fat they accumulated last summer. So fit, that at their leanest, the females give birth and start to nurse young before summer food appears on the scene.
    This is how my horses do it. They are always fat and sassy, and I think I am a good owner because I keep them that way. I provide free range hay all winter, which they arent really that crazy about. They would rather eat the dead grass if it isnt snow covered. And then I always feel bad when they come off the winter on the skinny side (skinny compared to being so fat previously). However my vet told me that they look great, you dont want their ribs all covered and fat, and it is better for them to come off the winter on the thinner side so they don't founder on all the spring grass.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Also, I'm now starting to see the effects of spot-icing my belly - definitely a reduction in fat! I think I'm going to go back to doing that more regularly now that I can see it pays off.
    I have got to remember to do this. I just saw my oblong ice pack when I rearranged my freezer yesterday and was glad to make room for it. Maybe tonight
    Last edited by gopintos; 08-25-2012 at 04:10 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

peril is offline Senior Member
    At the end of winter. Have been walking each morning and evening in short sleeves and taking fully cold showers each day. Feeling good and now very tolerant of cold (well as cold as it gets here). Only issue has been occasional chilblains on both fingers and toes, mostly fingers. Have avoided wearing gloves because of how silly it would look but may have to succumb next winter.

Have recovered 99% from my frozen shoulder, with full range of movement but a little residual pain
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    Paysan

Why don't you adopt the cool shower protocol of Ray Cronise. He feels that benefits can be had from an 80 showers. That is what I do. I had a stroke in Fall 2010 and cannot bend my left leg real well. So, although I had a tub big enough to get mostly submerged, I could not get out. I went from 230 # to 215 # in about 6 weeks, my blood pressure dropped, so O was able to give up a med. We moved the middle of last month, and stress eating (always my downfall), I put some weight back on. At today's doctor visit, I was pleased to see it was only 7 pounds and they weighed me dressed.

Try a few weeks of it and I think you will be surprised. I start warmish (the starting temp is getting cooler) and when I am done soaping, I turn it down just a smidgen. A few minutes later, when Iacclimatedated to it, I turn it down some more. I also suggest getting some spray on your face and turning as temperatureture changes. It helps the total body acclimation.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I have been spot icing several times weekly for at least 30 minutes, and working up towards 60 minutes, with ice packs on my middle. They are safe if wrapped and not lying next to bare skin. However, I do get an unusual reaction - several times I've been cramped as if I've done vigorous exercise in those areas, and feel a bit tender, almost bruised. However, I skip a session, and things get back to normal. I'm too much of a wimp for cold showers, but spend time in a cooling house in minimum clothing and footwear. It was only 5C here this am. I deliberately feel cool, as opposed to my former huddling with extra layers of clothes and the furnace on. BTW, since starting both icing and the leptin reset w/ my limitations, my blood sugar has moved down from the frankly diabetic range in the mid -to high 7's, to 5.8 and lower in am. I also believe my b/p is dropping as well. My weight hasn't budged, but ... health first.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast