Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 22

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Beefy,

I think if you just start the shower out tepid, or as warm as you make it, then start turning it down but not back up, you should see benefits that way. I have trouble with my tub, so I stick to showers. My well is ground water, so it is shallow and has warmed up with my summer. By the time I feel like I have spent enough time or feel that I need to be moving on to getting dressed, I have not gotten my faucet turned down all the way. I am still losing weight withthe intermittent fasting otzi recommended to me in his first thread. I fast on Tuesday and Thursday. I also decided to eat a little more SAD, as a way to have an easy weight loss to recommend to my older sister. I feel if I tightened up my diet, the weight loss would speed up.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Do you have access to a freezer and some ice packs? If so, you could spot ice - put a freezer pack on the back of your neck to stimulate BAT, and another on any 'problem areas' like tummy love handles, etc... Just follow the advice on how to avoid frostbite (don't put the freezer packs directly on skin, make sure skin is pink/red, not white...)
    Okay sorry, but what is BAT?
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I timed my cold shower yesterday and it was like 1 min. What could you possibly do in a shower for 5-10 min? How do you distract yourself so it doesn't feel way too long?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I timed my cold shower yesterday and it was like 1 min. What could you possibly do in a shower for 5-10 min? How do you distract yourself so it doesn't feel way too long?
    I play music on portable speakers that I bring into the bathroom. I usually stay in the shower for about 3-4 songs (which is about 10-15 minutes). Sometimes I dance around a little...

Beefy is offline Member
    ljbprrfmof: I actually have my hot water turned off as soon as I start the cold portion of my shower. While it may not be the best in terms of health, I actually prefer the cold shock. Then I keep it down that low for no more than 10 min. Not sure what temp your water actually bottoms out at but you may want to try turning it down as low as you can go for a bit. You might be surprised how fast you acclimate.

I sometimes now find myself checking the faucet to make sure I actually have the hot water all the way off. It's like my body wants more cold...

Also broke through my 225lb plateau yesterday as well... whoosh, down to 222 which is a new 10 year low for me. So I'd like to think that cold adaptation has done something for me but obviously hard to prove. Will add in some IF as well now and see what happens.

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.
    This, in my opinion, is the most important question that a person must ask and answer for themselves during any kind of purposeful cold exposure. How the question is framed and studied 'internally' will determine the usefulness of the exercise. Besides any metabolic training benefit, cold exposure becomes a powerful meditation whether you think of it that way or not and whether you intend to do any 'meditation' or not. Meditation is any way of integrating into full consciousness the truth of all of the elements of any kind of mental misery. There is an irony to a cold shower in that there is absolutely no possible way to be injured by the coldest of cold water and yet upon contact your mind is instantly filled with a misery and a desperate desire to escape the cold water.

I suggest that you bring a focus upon deliberate slow deep breathing into the shower with you. Breath in slowly, hold it, breath out slowly and hold it. Repeat this a few times deepening your concentration upon it as much as possible. When you have less than a panic to leave the shower then focus upon posture. Stand as tall as possible taking all of the curves out of your back and neck and remaining straight and tall while concentrating on letting go of as much muscle tension as possible in your back and neck while maintaining the tall posture. Turn your head slowly to the right as far as it will go and hold it and then to the left while maintaining the tallest relaxed posture as possible. If you get a fit of desperation to quit do the breathing again.

When you gain a little calm courage focus upon who is the watcher of the misery and where is this watcher located. Be relentless and deepen your focus upon trying to see what this cold situation is all about with as much awareness of all of the elements as you can muster.

But always go back to the focus upon slow breathing when you are in a panic to quit.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    My sister in-law mentioned some new shower head she got......apparently it entertains her for at least 40 minutes.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Okay sorry, but what is BAT?
    BAT = Brown Fat Cells. Just google.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Thanks for the link. That article is a nice description of BAT with a drawing mapping the locations on the back and neck.

After I have been in the cold wind for long enough to make my hands and fingers ache with the cold I feel my back for warm spots and that is exactly where they all are. When the cold wind has equalized my cold hands with those warm spots on my back I know that I have reached the limit of what my BAT can do. It is usually about 30 minutes depending upon temperature. I am always looking to see warm spots at longer times in the cold. I don't know if that will happen.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamous View Post
    .. with a drawing mapping the locations on the back and neck....
    After I saw the areas, I went to bed with my ice pack. I wasnt worried about getting freezer burnt, maybe I should have, but it was already starting to thaw because I had had it on my stomach first while in the recliner. Anyways, I laid on it for about an hour. Needless to say I didnt sleep soundly during this time, but that could have been due to evening tea.

I did enjoy it though. My internal furnace always gets turned on and off all night long, so it was nice having that cool bag with me all night. I still got a little overheated but nothing like I usually do. I dont know if that is good or bad, to not sweat.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast