Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 21

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    The problem is that I measured the temp last night and the coldest water was only 75F (I live in the tropics).
    Are you near the ocean? If so, swim there often. Especially early morning when it's coldest and walk around wet afterwards. If ocean swims aren't an option, I can't help much other than what you are doing. Maybe after your cold shower, stand in front of a fan to dry off. Evaporation is a cooling process. If you are getting at least goosebumps you are doing OK.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    So, somewhat random question but this seems to be the right thread. I currently do not have access to a tub and have thus been taking either a cold shower or a hot/cold contrast shower (2 min or so hot, then 2min or more cold) most nights for two weeks. I've found that I very quickly adapted, i.e. the cold water really can't get too cold for me anymore.

The problem is that I measured the temp last night and the coldest water was only 75F (I live in the tropics). I'm trying to also stimulate BAT as I'm at about 24-25% body fat and want to get down to about 15% pronto while putting on more lean mass, so hoping for some metabolic response from the BAT.

So, lacking a tub and ice (ice sounds like a huge PITA anyway), does anyone have any suggestions on how I can push towards greater cold adaptation? Welcome your thoughts.
    Do you have access to a freezer and some ice packs? If so, you could spot ice - put a freezer pack on the back of your neck to stimulate BAT, and another on any 'problem areas' like tummy love handles, etc... Just follow the advice on how to avoid frostbite (don't put the freezer packs directly on skin, make sure skin is pink/red, not white...)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    So far, I have only had pinkish/redish skin. Just really cold, not freezer burnt I can spot ice for hours, but I am doing it while watching tv and on the computer, so I move it around. I freeze an oblong foodsaver bag, and I keep that inside a pillow case.
    Yeah, I wasn't paying attention. I grabbed an ice pack and slapped it on. About a half hour later I thought I should check, and damn if the skin wasn't completely white, numb, and hard. I went under warm water immediately and it got red and "thawed" pretty quick. Still red today and feels like a sunburn. No blisters though, and I do have feeling so I think I may not have to amputate my fat.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Have been having only cold showers since April, walking 3km each morning and evening in short sleeves (Latitude S34) and generally wearing as little clothes as I can with minimal heating (ie only when another family member turns on a bar heater - no central heating at home).

Benefits so far have been massive improvement in frozen shoulder (bit of irony there) and have had to tighten the belt a notch over the last few days, despite weight being stable (no need to lose). Oh and great tolerance of cold. Am making others uncomfortable sitting outside at the pub of an evening in my short sleeves while they're all rugged up. Let's see if I can get a show of abs by the end of winter

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    put a freezer pack on the back of your neck to stimulate BAT
    I havent done that yet. Although I did read something about it, but then spaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't paying attention. I grabbed an ice pack and slapped it on. About a half hour later I thought I should check, and damn if the skin wasn't completely white, numb, and hard. I went under warm water immediately and it got red and "thawed" pretty quick. Still red today and feels like a sunburn. No blisters though, and I do have feeling so I think I may not have to amputate my fat.
    Zoinks! Glad it is doing better
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Beefy is offline Member
    Thx for the tips. Ocean not super convenient but I can swim on the weekends. Will spot ice the back of the neck during the week.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I must have an exceptionally tough hide - I routinely put multiple frozen-as-a-rock ice packs directly on my skin and have yet to have a problem - I gave that caveat knowing most people aren't quite so lucky. I wonder if I'm some kind of superwoman in disguise...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I must have an exceptionally tough hide - I routinely put multiple frozen-as-a-rock ice packs directly on my skin and have yet to have a problem - I gave that caveat knowing most people aren't quite so lucky. I wonder if I'm some kind of superwoman in disguise...
    Well mine was one of those gel packs that you are suppose to keep in the cloth sleeve....which I didn't (says right on the pack DO NOT put directly on skin). The other factor is I've never iced fat before. I've only used it on sprain strains....not on my most padded points. Dunno if that made a difference. It was really weird though to look down at my stomach and see a white lump of hard as a rock skin with indentations and wrinkles from the pack

I tried a bath again, and like last night, I just couldnt do it. I lasted maybe 5 minutes after I turned the cold on. But, I have my ice pack on now.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Check out this shirt for spot icing your BAT

Cold Water Plunges: Cold Water Therapy Without Cold Water jimlien

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast