Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 20

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    my ability to stand higher temperatures has certainly changed.
    I think I have been noticing that as well. Tomorrow's temp will be a good test.... ugh.

I just couldnt do my bath tonight. I did it last night for 45 minutes but I just couldnt do more than a few minutes tonight. I dont know what the deal was. All I could think about was how I would really love (wanted/missed) a hot bath, and I sure hope there is something to the CT that I have done.

Now, give me an ice pack and I can keep it on for hours. I didnt refreeze it after the last time though, so I need to get it in the freezer for tomorrow night. I just don't mind the ice packs at all.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    My comfort band seems to be about 50-90.
    Heat has never been an issue for me, and now I can do 60 indefinately, but when the pool water is in the 50's, I can do a good half hour without issues, but there is a definate difference when I get out and if I don't do a little bit of activity to warm up the core the cold feeling sets in for a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamous View Post
    I often wake up now with a warm glow on my back just before 4 am feeling good and ready for my cold predawn bath.
    I'm jealous of both statements, that's where I would like to be and gradually working toward that goal, my aim is to get to the point where I can stand around at the 50F mark virtually naked and not feel any significant discomfort. Not sure at this stage if it is just a low metabolic rate in general or if I still need to build up my BAT reserves, I can stand around at the 50F mark for 30 -60 min but at some point the shivers start to take hold and when that happens I know it will take a while to get the core comfortable again, and until that happens hands & feet are deprived of blood flow, so not pleasant to say the least.
    I try to spend most of my waking hours underclothed to encourage adaptation, but have the occassional slack day when I put socks on & cover up a bit.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    So whats the protocol when you spot ice too long and you do end up with some white hard skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    So whats the protocol when you spot ice too long and you do end up with some white hard skin?
    Stop icing and moisturise with coconut oil comes to mind.
    I don't do ice, just cold, I think there is a danger in using ice, as in frost bite, because at some point you don't feel anything and that's when you start to do damage.

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Heat has never been an issue for me, and now I can do 60 indefinately, but when the pool water is in the 50's, I can do a good half hour without issues, but there is a definate difference when I get out and if I don't do a little bit of activity to warm up the core the cold feeling sets in for a couple of hours.

I'm jealous of both statements, that's where I would like to be and gradually working toward that goal, my aim is to get to the point where I can stand around at the 50F mark virtually naked and not feel any significant discomfort. Not sure at this stage if it is just a low metabolic rate in general or if I still need to build up my BAT reserves, I can stand around at the 50F mark for 30 -60 min but at some point the shivers start to take hold and when that happens I know it will take a while to get the core comfortable again, and until that happens hands & feet are deprived of blood flow, so not pleasant to say the least.
    I try to spend most of my waking hours underclothed to encourage adaptation, but have the occassional slack day when I put socks on & cover up a bit.
    I have only noted the positive *trend* that keeps me going to see where it will all lead. There are plenty of mornings when getting up before the sun and/or getting into a cold air stream is the *last* thing that I want to do and I just sleep in. Also, any 45 minute period spent in 50 degree wind has all of my epidermis and my arms an legs so deeply chilled that it is at least an hour and a quarter before my blood stops being chilled by all of that cold meat during the "after drop." I try to avoid any deliberate warm up exercise and just involve myself in my "normal" business letting my systems find their natural path to warm up and hoping for additional adaptation such as I have already seen.

I sometimes do additional long term indoor sessions in warmer wind while reading or working but when I am not doing an actual deliberate cold exposure session I don't try to stay cold. I treat cold exposure very much like exercise sessions with complete 'rest' between sessions.

Good to hear that I'm not alone in actually getting cold.
    I don't try to stay cold. I treat cold exposure very much like exercise sessions with complete 'rest' between sessions.
    I'll take that comment on board, do a cold workout, then allow the body recovery and repair time.
    But I still want to get the heat feeling in the body at 4am calling me to a cold dip, I have got over the fear of a cold dip, but still a long way from having the desire.

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Good to hear that I'm not alone in actually getting cold.

I'll take that comment on board, do a cold workout, then allow the body recovery and repair time.
    But I still want to get the heat feeling in the body at 4am calling me to a cold dip, I have got over the fear of a cold dip, but still a long way from having the desire.
    Well I am also using the blue blocker lenses in the early evening an hour or so before sunset. They do help to get an early start on my 9 pm bed time. The blue blockers help with the deep sleep and early wake up. My early to bed and predawn wakeup routine is not completely natural but mandatory for me if I am to harvest the cool air which doesn't exist here at later times in the day.

I started to feel the heat across my shoulders and neck about two weeks after I started cold exposure. It is only recently, however, that it is coincident with waking up anticipating my cold 'swim'. Some mornings though I don't respond to the opportunity and just sleep in. I look forward to that becoming less and less frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamous View Post
    Well I am also using the blue blocker lenses in the early evening an hour or so before sunset. They do help to get an early start on my 9 pm bed time. The blue blockers help with the deep sleep and early wake up. My early to bed and predawn wakeup routine is not completely natural but mandatory for me if I am to harvest the cool air which doesn't exist here at later times in the day.

I started to feel the heat across my shoulders and neck about two weeks after I started cold exposure. It is only recently, however, that it is coincident with waking up anticipating my cold 'swim'. Some mornings though I don't respond to the opportunity and just sleep in. I look forward to that becoming less and less frequent.
    We are into winter here, so cold air is no problem, though the latitude & location where I am is quite mild compared to where I was before, semi alpine, even so people think I am a bit strange walking around in shorts and short sleeves.
    I am working towards getting into a dawn routine where I do a good 2km ride, then my standard obsticle course on the rocks around the headland, then a steep hill with some flat for a good sprint, then the downhill to test braking power, about 2km on foot all up and finish this with a swim in the ocean pool for 30 min or so, the pool is currently in the low 50's, unless the high tide comes in which warms it up a bit as the ocean is around the 60 mark, then ride home, this all takes about 60min.
    Currently as I am free it tends to be a lunchtime process, but I want to push it to the morning start as I do need to go out and get a job again and pay my way in the world.
    I do think I am on the cusp of feeling the desire, but cold is a real "shitter", so hard to fight instinct, not much different to the sugar driver though I suppose or any other instinct or addiction, when you recognise it is there, then you can deal with it.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    So far, I have only had pinkish/redish skin. Just really cold, not freezer burnt I can spot ice for hours, but I am doing it while watching tv and on the computer, so I move it around. I freeze an oblong foodsaver bag, and I keep that inside a pillow case.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Beefy is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    So, somewhat random question but this seems to be the right thread. I currently do not have access to a tub and have thus been taking either a cold shower or a hot/cold contrast shower (2 min or so hot, then 2min or more cold) most nights for two weeks. I've found that I very quickly adapted, i.e. the cold water really can't get too cold for me anymore.

The problem is that I measured the temp last night and the coldest water was only 75F (I live in the tropics). I'm trying to also stimulate BAT as I'm at about 24-25% body fat and want to get down to about 15% pronto while putting on more lean mass, so hoping for some metabolic response from the BAT.

So, lacking a tub and ice (ice sounds like a huge PITA anyway), does anyone have any suggestions on how I can push towards greater cold adaptation? Welcome your thoughts.

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast