Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 2

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, I have been taking completely cold showers for a few weeks now. Mostly what I've noticed is my tolerance for cold water has increased. I've also been swimming in the ocean early in the morning but the water is pretty warm. Maybe it's time to move on to ice baths. I want this to work...
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Well, I have been taking completely cold showers for a few weeks now. Mostly what I've noticed is my tolerance for cold water has increased. I've also been swimming in the ocean early in the morning but the water is pretty warm. Maybe it's time to move on to ice baths. I want this to work...
    It's working whether you know it or not! When you activate BAT, which can be done with cool--not cold--temps, you activate a metabolism booster that lies dormant in most people. Read this article from the Joslin Diabetes center, released yesterday:

Researchers at Joslin Diabetes Center have shown that while a type of "good" fat found in the body can be activated by cold temperatures, it is not able to be activated by the drug ephedrine.

The finding, published in today's issue of PNAS USA Early Edition, may lead to drugs or other methods aimed at activating the good fat, known as brown fat. When activated, brown fat burns calories and can help in the battle against obesity.

"We propose that agents that work similarly to cold in activating brown fat specifically can provide promising approaches to fighting obesity while minimizing other side effects," said Aaron Cypess, M.D., Ph.D., an assistant investigator and staff physician at Joslin and lead author of the paper.

"At the same time, we now know that ephedrine is not the way to do it," he added.

Brown fat is found in humans naturally and consumes calories to generate heat. Prior studies had shown that brown fat can be activated by cold exposure in a process called non-shivering thermogenesis.

Researchers have been working for years to find ways to activate brown fat.

Ephedrine, a decongestant and bronchodilator, has been used as a weight loss drug because it increases the number of calories burned. However, there are side effects.

In this study, the Joslin team tested 10 study subjects in three ways. They were each separately given injections of ephedrine, given injections of saline as a control, and made to wear "cooling vests" that had water cooled to 57 degrees pumped into them. After each intervention, the brown fat activity was measured using PET/CT scans.

The researchers found that brown fat activity was the same following both the ephedrine and saline injections. However, after the subjects wore the cooling vests for two hours, their brown fat activity was stimulated significantly.

Both interventions — ephedrine injections and the wearing of the cooling vests — did result in the same number of calories being burned, Dr. Cypess noted.

"But we found that ephedrine was not using brown fat to do it," he said. "This is the first time it has been found that ephedrine does not turn on brown fat."

Both interventions had other effects on the sympathetic nervous system -- which activates the fight or flight response -- such as increased blood pressure, but those associated with brown fat activation were fewer, the study showed.

"Mild cold exposure stimulates (brown fat) energy expenditure with fewer other systemic effects, suggesting that cold activates specific sympathetic pathways," the paper concludes. "Agents that mimic cold activation of (brown fat) could provide a promising approach to treating obesity while minimizing systemic effects."

As a result of the findings, drug companies may find it easier to come up with agents that stimulate brown fat to help people lose weight, Dr. Cypess said.

One method may be simply to design cooling vests that people can wear to help them lose weight. A future study will have subjects wear the vests for several weeks to see what happens, Dr. Cypess said.

"Will they get the same health benefits they would have seen with several weeks of exercise? That's the billion dollar question."

The findings should also be of interest to heart researchers interested in the mechanisms of activation of the sympathetic nervous system, he added.

Provided by Joslin Diabetes Center

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I read the other night, most of the BAT is between our shoulder blades, which I guess is why they are wearing vests, that and vest are easy to wear. My question is, does sitting in cold water (less than 80) w/o shoulder blades in, does it do the same thing? My pond is 78 in the shallows at the moment, but I just didnt feel like doing anything more than sitting in it while the kids played. Well I moved and stretched my legs, etc but I mean I didnt want to get anything else wet. I probably spent 45 minutes this afternoon, thinking I could skip my cold bath tonight in lieu of my pond time.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I have been rinsing with a cold shower after taking a hot shower this past year and it really revs up my energy. I figured if hot/cold compresses worked on inflammation (such as sprains) it would work on total body inflammation too. I am ready to graduate to swimming in the chilly waters of the Puget Sound now I guess to see what other benefits I can gain.

I know I have to wear ear plugs to immerse my head in cold water or I get very nauseous. Does anyone else have this problem?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    wait, dude - are you starting another cold water will save us all thread?
    He's starting another because dissenting viewpoints and discussions of both the pros and cons were not allowed. Either be a cheerleader or a disciple or get off the thread.

OK, I'm off.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    He's starting another because dissenting viewpoints and discussions of both the pros and cons were not allowed. Either be a cheerleader or a disciple or get off the thread.

OK, I'm off.
    Wag More, Bark Less
    bumper sticker wisdom, author unknown

:-)
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

SMITHR is offline Junior Member
    Excellent thread!
    I’ve been keeping very careful notes regarding water temperature, time, and weight on a daily basis.

Although at this point I don’t have much data to contribute, the results are already impressive: 24 days since I started taking cold water baths, 14.7 pounds lost.

oldgrapplr is offline Junior Member
    That is studly! I have not been consistent enough to use cold water therapy for fat loss, but I can definitely attest to the benefit in terms of recovery. I have a pond on our property and when it is frozen (late Nov-Feb) me and my training partners follow a tough workout with a cold water plunge. I have entered the water with a lot of pain and soreness and when I get out (run out screaming) I am a new man! I don't need any other research than that.

Anna K. is offline Junior Member
    My body composition has improved, PMS is reduced, migraines are reduced, mild cellulite is gone, sleep is better, my strength and muscle growth has never been as fast as now, Fasting has been so easy and natural, my cold tolerance outside has improved hugely, energy has increased. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I started 2 months ago with a few face dunks and then skipped the ice fase and moved to 70 degrees baths, now i'm at 30 min at 55. I used to do it initially every day, now every other day.

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I read the other night, most of the BAT is between our shoulder blades, which I guess is why they are wearing vests, that and vest are easy to wear. My question is, does sitting in cold water (less than 80) w/o shoulder blades in, does it do the same thing? My pond is 78 in the shallows at the moment, but I just didnt feel like doing anything more than sitting in it while the kids played. Well I moved and stretched my legs, etc but I mean I didnt want to get anything else wet. I probably spent 45 minutes this afternoon, thinking I could skip my cold bath tonight in lieu of my pond time.
    From what I've read, any temperature below body temperature activates BAT to some degree, but it has to be lower than 50 for max impact. Kind of like doing barbell curls with no weight, a little weight, and a lot of weight.

Want to make your head explode? Here is where the sensation of cold comes from: The transduction of temperature in cold receptors is mediated in part by the Transient Receptor Potential TRPM8 channel. This channel passes a mixed inward cationic (predominantly carried by Na+ ions although the channel is also permeable to Ca2+) current of a magnitude that is inversely proportional to temperature. The channel is sensitive over a temperature range spanning about 10-35C.

Got it? The body senses cold over a range of 50 to 95 degrees. Once the temperature bottoms out in the cold receptors, which is about 10 deg C, or 50 deg F, BAT is fully activated and new BAT is formed. Above this temperature, 50-96 deg F, other things go on to keep you warm, goose bumps, vessles tighten, muscles tighten, etc...

At temps between 50 and 90 (in water), you are still getting some benefits of being cold, ie. increased caloric burn, BAT activates, anti-inflammatory effects.
    Last edited by otzi; 06-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast