Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 19

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've been taking my ice baths every other day...and on the days when I don't, I really miss them. It feels like I missed out on something important. I'm interested in seeing if this is because it's new for me, and hence exciting, or if this is the start of a beautiful friendship between me and the cold.

Yesterday I was outside in a park in the early afternoon. It was chillier than the recent hot-as-hell days, very pleasant. When I was about to go, I caught a glimpse of my arms and saw goosebumps - what a shocker, I had no idea they were there! I wasn't feeling cold at all. Normally, I'd be freaking about the cold before goosebumps even had a chance to show their little heads. Very weird.

PrimalPam is offline Member
    I've just completed my 2nd week of 5x/week CT baths (35-40 mins @ 50-55F). The only hard part is the first "lay-back", i.e., the first time each bath that I lay my body back for submersion. After that, very peaceful. My Ipod playlists help a ton. I created 5 playlists, one for each day, each around 40 mins. I just close my eyes and wait for the playlist to be done.

I'm down 6 lbs. in 2 weeks, and my sleep is awesome. And I find my hunger is obliterated. I can truly make it on 2 awesome Paleo meals daily, one including seafood.
    Truly Paleo since 1/1/2012 (Doing Leptin reset)
    Turned 50 on 3/8/2012 !!!
    5'2" Female
    11/27/2011: 162.8 lbs.
    7/15/12 : 148.6 lbs.
    Clean Paleo diet: Lots of CO, Meat, Seafood, and doing CT 5x/week, 40 mins @ 50-52 degrees F

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPam View Post
    I've just completed my 2nd week of 5x/week CT baths (35-40 mins @ 50-55F). The only hard part is the first "lay-back", i.e., the first time each bath that I lay my body back for submersion. After that, very peaceful. My Ipod playlists help a ton. I created 5 playlists, one for each day, each around 40 mins. I just close my eyes and wait for the playlist to be done.

I'm down 6 lbs. in 2 weeks, and my sleep is awesome. And I find my hunger is obliterated. I can truly make it on 2 awesome Paleo meals daily, one including seafood.
    What are you using to hold the water?

PrimalPam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamous View Post
    What are you using to hold the water?
    A bathtub?

If you mean to keep the water at 50-55F, I make large ice "blocks" in my freezer using plastic containers, which I haul to my tub. When I first get in, the water is around 57F. But within a few minutes, as the ice melts, the temp goes down, and by the time I'm out, it's 50-52F.
    Truly Paleo since 1/1/2012 (Doing Leptin reset)
    Turned 50 on 3/8/2012 !!!
    5'2" Female
    11/27/2011: 162.8 lbs.
    7/15/12 : 148.6 lbs.
    Clean Paleo diet: Lots of CO, Meat, Seafood, and doing CT 5x/week, 40 mins @ 50-52 degrees F

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPam View Post
    A bathtub?

If you mean to keep the water at 50-55F, I make large ice "blocks" in my freezer using plastic containers, which I haul to my tub. When I first get in, the water is around 57F. But within a few minutes, as the ice melts, the temp goes down, and by the time I'm out, it's 50-52F.
    Thanks. That's great. You must have a good sized tub. Neither of us can fit into our one little bath tub so that we can lie down and we have never used it in the 15 years that we have lived in our little house. Most of my legs would be out and I couldn't get water over my chest. I'll have to remodel or build some kind of stock tank rig outside to get into cold water.

I thought of recommending the ice and bath tub method to a relative this weekend at a family gathering but remembering our tiny tub and considering his crippled condition I recommended this cryotherapy facility near to him instead.
    Cryotherapy Treatment - U.S. Cryotherapy

He can afford it, he might do it and maybe, if it helps him with his crippling back pain, he can be converted to a more wholesome lifestyle.

The poor guy is half my age. He shouldn't be suffering like he does. Sometimes I feel guilty to be in the good condition that I am at my advanced age lifting weights and making a fool of myself playing with my grandchild and little nephews. Yet people often think that my diet and way of life are the foolish exccentricities of an old man If I speak about it to them.

I, however, am sure that it is more than genetics or luck. I often wake up now with a warm glow on my back just before 4 am feeling good and ready for my cold predawn bath. I wish that I could share that in a more convincing way with people that I care about and who seem to need it more than I do.
    Last edited by Jamous; 06-25-2012 at 08:54 PM.

solly12 is offline Junior Member
    I read all your post shared online. It was very informative as well as interesting to read. I also gained some knowledge regarding the same topic. Thank you so much for sharing this information online.

Quote Originally Posted by solly12 View Post
    I read all your post shared online. It was very informative as well as interesting to read. I also gained some knowledge regarding the same topic. Thank you so much for sharing this information online.
    You appear to be a new member on Mark's forum here. I'm curious about how you found this thread that I can't find without my bookmark.

I'm not complaining about it though, this web site appears to be a brilliant success at marketing. I would be jealous if I had something to sell myself but so many topics are introduced by Mark that I can see no way to follow any of them for any length without a bookmark.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Went out with my husband on Sunday to a place that was air conditioned to the max. He was wearing jeans and a long sleeved shirt and started complaining about how uncomfortably cold it was (should mention he's borderline hyperthyroid and always "running hot"). I, wearing a sleeveless sundress with no stockings, replied, "I didn't realize it was air conditioned, it's not that cold." Look down to see some goosebumps on my arms...TWILIGHT ZONE!!!

Been hanging out in my ice bath for over an hour now...still plenty of ice left, too. Guess it's time to get out, though I could stay in here all day!
    Last edited by BestBetter; 06-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.

otzi Guest
    I was visiting Denali National Park this weekend, on Saturday it was in the 80's everyone was complaining how hot it was. On Sunday in was in the 50's and everyone was bundling up in winter gear. I was fine the whole time. I think most people have a very narrow comfort band of like 68-75 degrees, outside of this they are uncomfortable. My comfort band seems to be about 50-90.

Motorhead is offline Member
    I have been doing cold showers (55 degrees) every day for the past few months, and while I can't see a huge difference in fat loss, my ability to stand higher temperatures has certainly changed. I took a bicycle ride the other day in about 95 degree heat, and did not really break a sweat until I stopped riding. I was going at a good pace 12mph and rode for 5 miles. Also notice when others around me are hot, I am fine and I used to be the one who was also hot and sweating like a pig. It's amazing the difference. The interesting thing is that once I went primal, I naturally started lowering the temp of my showers to luke warm to almost cold, before I heard of Jack Kruse or CT.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast