Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 18

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Most of the time I can hang around in the cold quite a bit, as you say the distinction between "feeling the cold" & "feeling cold", there just seems to be this crossover point where I actually start to feel cold, but will try let myself go to the shiver point to see how quickly my body ramps up the fat burn mechanisms in the abscence of exercise, blankets or external heat.

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Another thing yesterday when I got out and went to pick up my things, just had a little moment of light headedness, first time I have noticed this, that's not a good sign I imagine?
    This is a common complaint with low carb diets where salt and minerals are excreted a little more readily than on diets with more carbs. Several low carb docs have written that they prescribe supplements to all of their patients. I have never suffered from that problem however. Perhaps because I love lots of salt and pepper on my food and have always taken magnesium and potassium supplements of some kind.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I just got out of my daily cold bath. Frankly, I don't know if it has helped me to lose fat or anything, but I do seem more "alive" after taking one and I sleep a bit better.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    In fact, I don’t know the real benefits of cold water when it comes to scientifically basis.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    In fact, I don’t know the real benefits of cold water when it comes to scientifically basis.
    Mark Sisson has outlined the scientific basis for cold water therapy pretty good here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cold-water-therapy/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-pri...dipose-tissue/

If you read through this thread you'll find many more links and discussion of the scientific basis...
    Last edited by otzi; 06-21-2012 at 08:21 AM.

primalhorsewoman is offline Junior Member
    I've been doing cold showers daily for over a month now. I have no idea if they have helped in the weight loss department (too many other variables), but I do agree with everyone who has pointed out that they certainly have a positive mental aspect, insofar as the decision to face the cold is about discipline and willpower. Actually, it's not so much willpower as not fearing the cold and embracing it instead.

One thing I find interesting is that while several people in all of these CWT threads point out that Grok would have bathed in cold water, NO ONE has pointed out the obvious - which is that Grok would have been rained on!

I personally have not had much difficulty "adapting" to the idea of cold showers because for several years I had an outdoor job as a carriage driver. There's nothing quite like "embracing the cold" when you have no choice but to keep driving your horse at a walk when you get caught without your raingear during a sudden torrential downpour.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primalhorsewoman View Post
    I've been doing cold showers daily for over a month now. I have no idea if they have helped in the weight loss department (too many other variables), but I do agree with everyone who has pointed out that they certainly have a positive mental aspect, insofar as the decision to face the cold is about discipline and willpower. Actually, it's not so much willpower as not fearing the cold and embracing it instead.

One thing I find interesting is that while several people in all of these CWT threads point out that Grok would have bathed in cold water, NO ONE has pointed out the obvious - which is that Grok would have been rained on!

I personally have not had much difficulty "adapting" to the idea of cold showers because for several years I had an outdoor job as a carriage driver. There's nothing quite like "embracing the cold" when you have no choice but to keep driving your horse at a walk when you get caught without your raingear during a sudden torrential downpour.
    Great first post! Welcome!

You are very correct, getting rained on definitely counts towards CWT, especially if accompanied by wind. Goosebump city! This weekend, I was cruising the river in my boat and got caught in a downpour. Normally, I'd have pulled over, put on a raincoat and waited it out under a bridge or tree. This time, I took off my shirt and sped into the rain. Got lots of funny looks from the canoers huddled under their poncho's! Talk about feeling alive. Then the sun came out and I got some free Vitamin D.

As Gene Kelley said:

I'm singing in the rain
    Just singing in the rain
    What a glorious feelin'
    I'm happy again
    I'm laughing at clouds
    So dark up above
    The sun's in my heart
    And I'm ready for love
    Let the stormy clouds chase
    Everyone from the place
    Come on with the rain
    I've a smile on my face
    I walk down the lane
    With a happy refrain
    Just singin',
    Singin' in the rain

Style is offline Member
    I go for long walks a few times every week. In the past, if it even looked like rain I would walk on the tread mill or drive to the gym and hit the weights. A couple weeks ago I wanted to go for a walk, saw it was raining, and started going toward the tread mill when it hit me: "What do I care if it's raining?" I had a nice chilly walk in the rain and loved it. Yet another benefit of embracing cold!

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.
    Sometimes, while in my personal wind tunnel when the predawn air is 60 degrees or a little more I wet my skin with water cooled overnight in the refrigerator. As you guys have noted, it kicks it up a notch and sometimes, as Emeril Lagasse says, to notches unknown!

This morning, however, it was 50 degrees so I didn't crave any further kicking. It will be 80 degrees this afternoon, however, and I want a true cool pool to enjoy this summer's afternoon heat. I found this web site with a simple formula for calculating the ice required to cool a pool:

Can Ice Cubes Cool Your Pool? - Slate Magazine
    "For those pool owners who would like to personalize this calculation, here's how:
    1) Take your pool's volume, in gallons.
    2) Divide by 1,000.
    3) Multiply by the number of degrees (Fahrenheit) you'd like to cool the water.
    4) Multiply that number by 43.75.
    5) Think again."

I put that formula into an Excel spreadsheet so that I could think about what size pool I could afford to build or buy and cool with ice:
    http://webs.lanset.com/jow/IM2CW.xls

There is also a duplicate file there on my web space with ".mp3" tacked on to the end of the file name for those that want the file but have trouble downloading it. Just download http://webs.lanset.com/jow/IM2CW.xls.mp3 and remove the ".mp3" from the end of the file name.

If you want to try out the accuracy of this calculation in your kitchen, IM2CW predicts a 23 degree drop in a half gallon of water with a half pound of ice. You could use a variety of starting temperatures from 212 to 55 degrees (55 because you can't cool water below 32 degrees with just ice). My daughter purchased an 8 foot diameter inflatable pool complete with a pump and filter for sixty dollars. It holds 639 gallons. I would get this pool for myself but IM2CW tells me that I need 279.5 lbs of ice to cool it down by only 10 degrees. That's 56 dollars at 20 cents per pound. Yes, I have thought again and am still thinking. I could afford to cool 50 gallons regularly but it seems such a cramped way to chill. Still thinking.

Pouring cold water in the wind tunnel costs just a few cents worth of electricity.

Singing in the rain is free!
    Last edited by Jamous; 06-22-2012 at 08:49 AM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I didnt CT all week, and I had a bad week all the way around. I think anyways. The scale says so but I think it might be lying, well at least stretching the truth, but still, I think I need to CT daily again this week. I think at the very least it helps my skin, my heels especially. And I didnt swim in the pond one single day either. I think we will change that starting today after lunch
    Last edited by gopintos; 06-24-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast