Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 16

AussieNana is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    Why?
    Because I so hate being in cold water I don't like to think it works.

AussieNana is offline Member
    Despite my dislike of cold water I did it again last night after karate. I'm usually stiff and sore and need some paracetamol in order to reduce the pain enough to sleep but last night even though my cold bath was brief and still too shallow to cover my legs I didn't need the paracetamol and managed to sleep well without pain. There is no way yet that I can stay in the bath on a cold winter's night for longer than a few minutes, but I am working on the theory that some cold is better than none.

I put on 100g since yesterday.

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by yogashmoga View Post
    jamous- thank you for the suggestion...i will definitely try cold air.
    I use two 20 inch fans about a foot away from my feet pointed up at me in front and back which delivers the 15 mph air stream to every square inch of epidermis except for the top of my head. The coldest morning so far was 47 degrees F which made my hands go numb so I hid them from the air stream on my head. At temperatures in the low 50's my body mounts a very strong vascular defense in my arms and legs so that there is a long and strong after drop beginning a few minutes after I get out of the air stream. Sixty degrees and above does not produce much of an after drop but lots of heat is removed from the body which limits how long I can stay in the stream. I use earplugs, orange goggles and chapstick as I bathe in the air stream naked to the wind while the dawn breaks. If I didn't have a little private wind tunnel made out of insulation siding I might cause the neighbor dogs to go blind.

Good luck with your chilling experiments. I found an air stream to be fully usable from the start. The air can be quite cold but there is no sudden chill to overcome like there is with water. It is relentless, however, and never gets any warmer whether you move or not.

Eric5105 is offline Member
    I have been experimenting with some cold showers lately after I read the book, The Flinch. While I don't feel fully used to taking a cold shower, I have noticed that my skin and hair feel better. My abdomen also looks very tensed and lean while showering if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5105 View Post
    I have been experimenting with some cold showers lately after I read the book, The Flinch.
    That's interesting. The book's concept sounds worthy but I came to view cold exposure as the finest personal discipline that I have ever undertaken only *after* having tried it for "fearful and conservative" health reasons. Wim Hof also said something similar about not finding any meditation practice satisfying until he found the cold. That statment struck a deep chord with me. I do Wim's and the Senobi breathing exercises while in the cold stream. I also practice postures and contemplate the source of every impulse or desire. I am usually surprised when the time is up. Standing tall and "embracing the flinch" has brought me some interesting emotional insights.
    Last edited by Jamous; 06-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.

A focus upon focus
    without it's hocus pocus
    the river of shiver
    that knows no giver
    watches calmly the rivers run.
    Look out! Here's another one!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamous View Post
    A focus upon focus
    without it's hocus pocus
    I really feel that we are giving 'cold' a name it won't live up to. When I see people asking, "How long and in what temp to lose X amount of fat?" I think that the focus is gone. I incorporated cold into my life they way some may use yoga, multivitamins, or paleo eating. Cold is something you need to embrace, not fear, and not expect miracles.

When you have fully accepted the cold, BAT, fat loss, and health will follow.

The science is there--cold receptors in the skin, uncoupling proteins, vasoconstriction, etc...--but in the end you just need to do it. Experience cold on a regular basis, seasonally if possible, and reap the benefits without expecting too much too fast.

How cold? Cold enough to make goosebumps or shivers. How long? As long as you can take it. When will I see benefits? Whenever your body is ready to show you!

I'm really stoked to see so many people talking rationally about cold thermogenesis. Can't wait for Winter!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I really feel that we are giving 'cold' a name it won't live up to. When I see people asking, "How long and in what temp to lose X amount of fat?" I think that the focus is gone. I incorporated cold into my life they way some may use yoga, multivitamins, or paleo eating. Cold is something you need to embrace, not fear, and not expect miracles.

When you have fully accepted the cold, BAT, fat loss, and health will follow.

The science is there--cold receptors in the skin, uncoupling proteins, vasoconstriction, etc...--but in the end you just need to do it. Experience cold on a regular basis, seasonally if possible, and reap the benefits without expecting too much too fast.

How cold? Cold enough to make goosebumps or shivers. How long? As long as you can take it. When will I see benefits? Whenever your body is ready to show you!

I'm really stoked to see so many people talking rationally about cold thermogenesis. Can't wait for Winter!
    Winter IS coming
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Winter IS coming
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been taking a daily dip in the ocean pool, about 16C for around 30min, just a little light swimming and generally just floating around, it's very fresh when i get in, then I acclimatise quickly and it's fine. When I get out, I have a cold shower to wash of salt and within about 5 min is when I start to really get cold and do the semi-shiver, it subsides gradually, but is usually a good hour before I feel completely comfortable again. I imagine this is because the skin cappilaries open up again when out of the water and leach heat from body core, is this similar for others?
    Yesterday when I dried off, I just did some light exercise, push ups, squats, limbering exercises and this helped quite a bit, took the edge off the shiver bit.
    Another thing yesterday when I got out and went to pick up my things, just had a little moment of light headedness, first time I have noticed this, that's not a good sign I imagine?

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast