Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 15

Bioletti is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    wait, dude - are you starting another cold water will save us all thread?
    It's called the "free market" Jakey, and I think it's still valid in the US of A last I checked?? A million plus people put out the SAME idea or "thread" and he who gets the most responses wins. That is, unless you have an elite moderating team that doesn't allow it and censors everything.
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

Jamous is offline Junior Member
    Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by yogashmoga View Post
    i think i jumped in to CT too quickly. i stepped back from baths to face baths...which continued to give me hormonal responses and the brainfreeze headaches. i'm trying to focus on balancing my omega ratios and stepped back, yet again, to a few minutes of cool showers at the end of my warm showers and ice packs. i'm tolerating this approach well and notice that i don't enjoy my usual (somewhat scalding) morning shower. the water gets cooler and cooler by preference. so that's cool. shot out of the canon way too quickly there in the beginning. a slower approach to cooler living feels great! i'd love to get to icy tub soaks eventually. listening to my body...riding the wave.

please continue to post your experiences. i've really gained a lot from these CT threads.
    You might consider adding a little wind chill to your cold water treatments.
    I once sat in the air stream inside the house at 66 degrees for an hour and 20 minutes before I had to stop with involuntary shivering. If you have a source of cool air in the morning it just might be the gentle way to break into thermogenisis that you are looking for.

kandc88 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogashmoga View Post
    i've tried cold baths for the last few nights after reading mark's posts and digging into a few kruse threads. so far...i've slept like total shit with hot and cold flashes, and i absolutely cannot keep warm during the days (summer in salt lake city.) my hands and feet are so cold they feel like they will fall off. <<--- feeling like a drama queen today. lack of sleep makes me cranky.

i'm typically cold and don't regulate body temp well, which is why i figured this would be a worthy experiment. perhaps it's the hormones. i'm so sick of that pink elephant in the room that consistently threatens primal progress. anyone else experience this?
    Just found this thread so forgive my slow response. I woke up hot a bit in the beginning. I started in with ice packs and have just kept with them at night before bedtime for approx 1 hour, have done so at least every other day for I'm not sure how long now, maybe 1.5 months?

I had a lot of temp issues with keeping warm during the day and haven't noticed it lately, but it's gotten warmer here also. I am also sticking with it for the expected benefit of normalizing the hormones. I'd give it about a month, I think that is how long the temp issues took to work themselves out.

My husband always says that I am warm now and moves away from me in bed cause he says I'm too hot.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't the time to dig through the monstrous thread, but how long are you supposed to be taking cold showers to see benefits?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm on the bandwagon Yesterday after my normal shower (which is usually very hot.... as in "my-skin-turns-red-hot" because I HATE the cold), I turned the water as cold as I could. I discovered that I could totally tolerate it so long as my upper half didn't get wet! In fact, it felt great, and after a couple of seconds I acclimatised and felt warm, even though the water was super cold! Amazing stuff...

A question:

I'm predominantly interested in this for combating cellulite. For a slim person with a reasonable amount of muscle tone, I have way more than I should. My shower last night got me thinking. There are lots of theories about what causes cellulite, but could it be possible that excessively hot showers are a factor?!

I'm going to take some pics. It will be interesting to see if there's a difference in a few weeks.

AussieNana is offline Member
    I'm just starting out on the CT stuff. I really dislike cold water - well being in it anyway, so this is a big deal for me. I have finally got to the stage where I can lie down in tap temperature water (about 63 degrees) about 4 inches deep. It has taken me weeks and it still doesn't cover my legs, let alone my spare tyre around my middle.

I've been on a plateau with my weight loss and am finding it difficult to drop below a certain level. However the last two nights have seen a small loss in the morning. Today I'm at my recent low. According to my measurements I'm not losing weight but despite this I notice that my jeans are really loose and even with a belt they feel like they are going to drop down. Weird as I'm used to having tight tight clothes as my weight increased.

I've also noticed that I need fewer covers than my husband does. He is under our warmest doona at night and I'm under our lightest summer one or I'm too hot.

I have very mixed feelings about these cold water baths. Part of me hates the idea of their being a good thing. Part of me loves the idea that something so cheap and easily available to most around the world can help my weight loss and improve my immunes system.

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieNana View Post
    Part of me hates the idea of their being a good thing.
    Why?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Several days to several weeks, depending on you. This does not include known immediate effects, such as using a cold bath after a very intense workout to help ward off DOMS or to soothe it.
    Sorry, i meant the duration of each shower/bath. Do I have to be in there for at least, say 10 minutes, for it to be effective?

yogashmoga is offline Junior Member
    jamous- thank you for the suggestion...i will definitely try cold air.

kandc88- i'm SO glad to hear that you have similar goals and have worked past those inital detox phases. they were pretty miserable...but i do believe the ice packs will help me move into this more comfortably. i would love to hear about the hormonal benefits you notice as you move forward!

sakura girl- according to kruse, we 'should' be working up to icebaths for 45 mins. his experience moved to that point within a month and a half (and i initially planned to do the same...didn't work out that way.) it appears some ppl on this thread are taking cool baths for 20-40 minutes. some brave ice-bathers. most are taking cool showers (or at least finishing their showers cool) and using icepacks for spot treatments.
    this wounded bear is gonna find ALL the answers...health, reveal thyself!!

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Lately, I do not seem to have time to lolly-gag in the shower. I do wash up warm and rinse cool and work my way down from there. Today I spent a half in the shower and turned the whole time until I tried using the hand held nozzle on my front while the main shower head spray my back between the shoulder blades. Win! I wish I had thought of the earlier.

LJ
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast