Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 12

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have started taking daily swims in the ocean pool, water about 60F & cold enough for me at this stage, initial chill lasts about 20-30 seconds as body adjusts, but then I spend a good 20-30 min doing slow laps, treading water & a bit of aquarobics, nothing too vigorous. I could probably stay there for much longer, don't feel uncomfortable at all, I'm not trying to move fat or anything like that, just train my body to deal better with cold and build up more BAT. When I get out my abdomen has a nice pink tinge, then have a cold shower to wash off salt. I usually walk down to pool & back, about 1km each way, just in my shorts, no problem if there is sun, but if overcast & there is wind, I get a borderline shiver on the way home, sometimes toes get a bit cold, but the worst thing is sensitive nipples, not like they hurt, but if you touch them or brush clothes on them I definately notice, this may last up to an hour, seems I only start feeling a bit cold once I start warming up.
    Just curious, anyone else get the nipple thing?

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Wag More, Bark Less
    bumper sticker wisdom, author unknown

:-)
    Is there anything quite as good as hypocrisy exposed?

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulWarrior View Post
    I so look forward to a cold shower now. Anyone else experiencing that? I'm kind of excited to wake up every am; I usually take another one before bed. Got home late last night and didn't want to wake the family by showering. I felt like I deprived myself of something.
    I feel this way too. I really look forward to my cold bathes, and am bummed on days when I can't fit one in.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    SuppVersity had a recent post about CT:
    SuppVersity - Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone: Cold Thermogenesis - A Safe Ephedra Alternative? 70kcal Increase in 24h Energy Expenditure is Negligible, 50% Lower Than Ephedrine, Not Likely to Occur Obese or Older People
    "I know this is not going to be a popular conclusion, but believe me, the additional +70kcal/day you could expend in the cold, if you are one of the lucky non-obese "responders" (see red box above), won't make you lose a single pound."

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I'm going to try CT after training today to see if it'll help with DOMS. I'm planning on fasting again after training, and will need all the help I can get trying to eliminate the soreness that will go on for days if I normally fast after training.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    SuppVersity - Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone: Cold Thermogenesis - A Safe Ephedra Alternative? 70kcal Increase in 24h Energy Expenditure is Negligible, 50% Lower Than Ephedrine, Not Likely to Occur Obese or Older People
    "I know this is not going to be a popular conclusion, but believe me, the additional +70kcal/day you could expend in the cold, if you are one of the lucky non-obese "responders" (see red box above), won't make you lose a single pound."
    anyone who assumes that the cold bath is for purposes of raising metabolism has missed the point entirely, that is a specific localized response to the stimulus and more than offset ( in the average user ) by the amount of calories one would intake ( assuming CICO) in response to the hunger signals also stimulated.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Very interesting article. They say diet and exercise are better for weight loss than Ephedrine or cold. Their evidence used shows BAT activation in one 120 minute session with a cooling vest at about 60 deg. Then they really downplay BAT's role, saying the calories burn is negligible. Everyone else is saying BAT is where it's at, definite correlations between BAT and obesity.

This would be a good thing for Myth Buster's to take on.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    What the hell has this thread done to me.

Before, I would shower once every 3 days. Since starting cold showers (at 70 degress first, then 60-65), I have been craving a shower every day. I look forward to it, and can't wait for it. :S
    the perfect air conditioner LOL
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Style is offline Member
    The Journey
    * In 1997, at 6’ tall 215 lbs on a medium framed 20-something man, eating the SAD, I began to work out: 3 or 4 days a week of weight training, with some stationary bike thrown in. Within a year, I was in the 185 - 190 lbs range, where I stayed for several years.
    * In 2002, I began eating healthy according to conventional wisdom: more fruits and vegetables (the good), but also low fat and whole grains (the bad). This got me to 180.
    * In 2006, I switched from 3 or 4 days of weight training a week, to 1 day of weights plus 3 or 4 days of walking (typically a one hour walk). This was for life style reasons, but had little impact on my weight and body composition.
    * In October 2011 still at 180 lbs, I went primal. Diet was 80/20 to 90/10, and relatively high carb at 200 grams/day. Calorie break down was 40% from fat, 30% from carbs, 30% from protein. Weight began to fall off me.
    *** I also went more primal in my exercise routine at this point. I was getting exercise 6 or 7 days a week. I would do weights 1 day/week, sprints 1 day/week, walks 2 to 4 days/week, yoga 1 day/week, with yard work and play regularly in the mix.
    * In February 2012, at 155 lbs, 5 pounds UNDER my target weight, with no decline in the speed of weight loss and my wife complaining that I was too skinny, I decided to up my carbs. I added some additional safe starches, bringing up my daily average between 230 and 250 grams. My weight immediately stabilized at 155 lbs where I am still at today.
    * Near the end of April 2012, I decided to change things up in order to reach two separate goals: 1) add some muscle. 2) lose the last little bit of belly fat around my middle. There were a series of changes that I implemented, all at the same time (for better or worse):
    *** Increased my calorie and BCAA intake via a daily meal replacement shake. What was in the shake varied from day to day, but a typical shake would have a banana, a table spoon of coconut oil, and 25 grams of protein from BCAA rich chocolate whey protein mix.
    *** I began working in more resistance training. I would do a 30 to 60 minute workout one day a week and a 10 to 30 minute workout 2 days per week. My exercise was otherwise unchanged. I would do things like after completing an hour of yard work, do 10 minutes of resistance training, cycling through 2 sets each of pushups, pull ups, and pistol squats.
    *** Began a CT trial. It started off with daily cold showers, and once I worked up to 15 minute showers I graduated to baths. I’m now at 30 minute baths. This is with 70 degree tap water.
    *** Finally, and this was not on purpose, but my diet went to shit right around this time. Instead of my normal 80/20 to 90/10, I’ve probably been closer to 70/30. It is not the result of being hungrier due to CT. I’ve noticed no change in appetite. Rather, it is the result of my wife, who is not primal, going on a serious cooking and baking bender. The house has been loaded with delicious non-primal homemade foods. For example, I’ve probably only gone 3 or 4 days without having a non-primal dessert in the last 6 weeks!
    * Two weeks ago I started icing my belly fat while taking my half hour cold baths. I don’t think I’ve been doing this right. I think I’m moving the ice around too much (more or less constant, as opposed to leaving it in one spot for a few minutes). When I get out of the tub, my stomach is colder to the touch than the rest of me, but it’s not pink. There is no visible difference in skin color. I plan to start not moving it around so much and see how that works.
    * A few days ago I started doing face dunks.

The Good
    * Tolerance of cold. This is BY FAR the biggest change. I was a total pussy when it came to cold. It’s pretty neat to now be the tough guy in the house when the temperature drops. Whether it’s going outside without a jacket on a chilly morning, or going with my daughter into the ocean or a cold lake while my wife refuses to go anywhere near it, I’m now the most tolerant person around. It’s been fun outlasting my daughter in cold water, where she will (eventually) get cold and want to go home and I’m still totally comfortable. That would have never happened in the past! Just today we were at Lake Michigan. My wife stuck a toe in and said “No way.” My daughter came in with me for about 5 minutes and then went to play on the beach. I stayed in for 30 or 40 minutes, swimming and just relaxing.
    * Tolerance of heat. I’ve also noticed I’m way more comfortable in the heat than I used to be. My range of comfortable temperatures is now very wide. I was just the other day sitting at my daughter’s soccer game in 90 degree weather. My wife was sweating buckets and complaining about being miserable. I was dry and completely comfortable.
    * Serenity. I absolutely love my cold bathes and look forward to them every day. It’s disappointing to me on the days when I don’t have time for a 30 minute bath. (On those days I typically take a 5 to 10 minute cold shower.) I especially look forward to them if I’ve been having a stressful or otherwise bad day. I come out feeling completely serene. I feel like overall my mental wellbeing has improved noticeably the last 6 weeks, and I don’t just mean for the calm period after a cold bath. Just overall all the time it’s improved.
    *** It’s worth noting that this could just be the result of giving myself 30 minutes a day to relax and do nothing. I might get the same results if I meditated for 30 minutes in a warm room every day, not sure.
    * Body composition. My weight has stayed at 155 the whole time, yet I’ve definitely lost some belly fat. I can now see the upper half of my six pack. I was a chubby kid growing up, and I’d never been able to see my ab muscles…till now! My upper body and leg muscles also look a bit bigger and more defined. Considering that A) my weight is unchanged, B) I can now see my abs when before I could not, and C) my muscles look bigger and more defined, I think it’s safe to say I’ve lost some fat and added some muscle. I think this is even more impressive, as it has occurred during a span where my diet has been relatively poor, and my carbs and total calorie intake is certainly higher.
    *** It is worth noting that I changed my exercise routine at the same time as I started CT. I’m not doing a tremendous amount more of exercise, if any, but the type of workouts I’m doing is different (i.e. more resistance training).
    * Deeper Sleep. I’ve been getting up each morning shortly after the sun rises, but before my alarm went off. This NEVER happened before. I was always that guy who hit snooze 3 or 4 times before getting up. Also, I used to remember 0 to 2 dreams per night. Now I remember 2 to 4 dreams a night! I couldn’t tell you the last time I woke up not remembering at least 2 different dreams. Think about that! To me, all these additional dreams is a pretty big deal.
    * Tighter pores. I began the face dunks mainly b/c I wanted the benefits some mentioned of looking younger. I’ve got large pores on my face, especially on my nose, that I’m not fond of. I’ve done face dunk sessions just 3 times so far, and already the pores on my nose are noticeably smaller! Talk about fast results!
    * Invigoration. I find the face dunks and cold showers really invigorating. The cold bathes are less invigorating, but I think this is because I spend an extended period in there (30 minutes) and I come out calm as a cucumber. While the serenity of the cold bath is awesome, the invigorating effect of the cold shower and face dunks is not bad either. I’m seriously considering a cold shower or face dunks first thing in the morning to wake me up. I’m a total caffeine addict, but between the deeper sleep I’m now getting and a CT jolt upon wake up, I wonder if I couldn’t kick the habit?
    * Relieving tired muscles. I’m not so sure that I’m getting much anti-inflammatory effects in just 70 degree water, but I have noticed that when I take a cold bath with tired muscles they feel much better. It’s not like they’re good as new and I’m ready to go run hills or anything, but that uncomfortable feeling of tired muscles is gone. There is definitely a significant difference, especially when I have tired legs.

The Bad
    * Since starting CT (and the other changes I made in April 2012), I’ve had some lightheadedness. The first 2 or 3 weeks it was relatively bad, happening every time I would stand up! Now I get lightheaded just a few times a week. They are also no longer very strong. Although I never hit the deck like quelson, I use to have to grab on to something and wait 30 to 60 seconds for the stars to clear from my vision. Now it’s just a mild feeling that passes in a few seconds and doesn’t cause me to break stride.
    Last edited by Style; 06-11-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Style is offline Member
    Disappointments
    * While overall I’m pleased with CT, there are a few things that some people are experiencing that I’m not:

*** “Superhuman” feats of athleticism
    *** More energy
    *** Muscles being completely rejuvenated, i.e. good as new, when CT’ing post workout.
    *** I’m ALREADY at another plateau. From February until the end of April, I was at a plateau. Then I started CT, and within 3 weeks I saw the body composition changes detailed above. Another 3 weeks has since passed, and there has been no change.
    ***** It’s worth noting that diet is probably sabotaging me here. There is only so much I can do while eating like shit. If my wife is going to continue to cook like this then I’m going to have to develop more will power or be content that I’m not gaining fat eating all this dessert!
    * It’s also worth noting that I’m only 6 or 7 weeks into my CT experiment AND I’m primarily using 70 degree tap water. With that in mind, I think the results I’m seeing so far are great! It’s not surprising that I’m not yet seeing all the results that people like quelson, mamagrok, and otzi otzbourne are seeing, when they have been doing it a lot longer and are using much colder water. It will be interesting to see what happens come fall when the temperature of my tap water drops.

Conclusion
    While it is not conclusive how many of the changes detailed above were due strictly to CT, as a few variables were changing at once, the CT experiment has been a success, as far as I’m concerned. The dramatic increase in my tolerance for temperatures, both hotter and colder, has been worth it just by itself! The increase in serenity has also been huge positive change in my life, but I’m going to put it as a secondary benefit as I cannot be sure that it is 100% due to CT. If I took 30 minutes out of my busy day to meditate, I might get similar results. It seems clear that the smaller pores/tighter facial skin thing is definitely due to face dunks, and it was so easy to get results, so that is pretty cool. Relieving my tired legs is also quite nice. If I can perfect the spot icing technique, and couple that with getting my diet closer to 90/10 instead of 70/30, I remain hopeful that I can get rid of that last inch I can pinch on my love handles and reveal the lower half of my six pack. If I can do that, even if I never see any of the benefits listed under the “disappointments” section, I will label my CT experience a huge win!
    Last edited by Style; 06-11-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast