Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 11

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by McChunky View Post
    How long should one try this?

I'm on my first week and was planning to do the spot-icing for two weeks, wait two weeks and then evaluate at the end of June.

I'm basing this experiment off of the Coolsculpting technique which says results come after some time has elapsed to give the body time to eliminate the fat cells.

Anyone have a more credible reason for the length of time to try or is it just ice until you start seeing results?
    You are on a solo journey, here. i'd recommend doing like what Mark said in his recent post on self-experimentation. I think what you are doing sounds reasonable, so take pictures, measurements, weight, etc... and keep it as controlled as possible. I'd love to hear your results in 6 weeks.

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    The last 2 times I've done CT and then post-CT strength training, I haven't had the same effects of increased strength. Obviously this is anecdotal, but I've also reduced my pre-CT MCT/coconut oil. I used to do at least 500 calories of MCT's (MCT Oil, coconut oil and butter), sometimes in coffee (which is obviously going to also give a boost with caffeine), CT'ed and then lifted (all within an hour). I think it's very possible that the effects were due to the fatty acid fueling and not the CT.

Plan on doing some fasted CT next.

I did find it funny that someone asked me to do a river swim and I was contemplating it. I asked about the temperature of the water and they said it was "fairly warm." I declined. A waste of my time

otzi Guest
    I know the temperature...it's the same as a baggie full of ice water. That'll be $1500 please.

Procedure to freeze fat cells helps woman avoid more surgery

From the article above: "The instrument clamps to the body and gets cold. It doesn't freeze but gets cold enough that it fatally damages fat cells just beneath the skin.

"It doesn't have to be very cold; the skin doesn't freeze or frostbite," Ridenour said. "Except for the tugging on the skin, it's painless."

He couldn't say what the effective temperature was. The manufacturer, Zeltiq Aesthetics Inc., won't reveal that information. "

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I know the temperature...it's the same as a baggie full of ice water. That'll be $1500 please.
    ha. I didnt CT bath but I iced. I made some packets with my foodsaver. One longish in the narrow width, for my belly. The way I had to put it in the freezer, it had a natural curve to it so it worked great! I brought it out tonight and DH said, that is a bit overkill, isn't it? He just rolls his eyes at me. lol

And then I made two smaller packs I thought maybe for my thighs or something but I only used the belly one. For about an hour in one spot, about 15 or so minutes on another spot then I went to bed.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    So, I think I possibly had a herxheimer reaction two nights ago - In the morning, i iced my belly and thighs, then I took that crazy cold ice bath with the 20lb bag of ice, plus my homemade ice. Later that night, some more ice packs. Only after the evening ice packs, it was like I couldn't warm up again - I started shivering really intensely (throughout the past 2 weeks I've rarely shivered, and when I did, it was brief). I felt like I was cold to the bone, but my husband said I felt hot to the touch. Terrible muscle pain in my back - it was so bad I had to take a muscle relaxer. It really felt like getting hit with the flu (I haven't been sick in so many years, I can't even remember how long it's been). Next morning, totally fine. Ice baths and spot icing with no problem. I wonder if that's all I'll get in terms of a detox crap phase.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    I took a short break from CTing because I got pretty sick. Sicker than I've been in YEARS. Sore throat, laryngitis, upper respiratory hacking cough, etc. Seems to be going around. But then I thought, what if CT can HELP? So I started up again this week, and have been managing to get my 80 tap water down into the 40s, which I'm thrilled about. (It's a very involved process, and probably takes 20-30 minutes before I can even get into the tub!) The first thing that I noticed was that while I was in the tub, I started to get some very productive coughs, not the annoying dry coughs that I had been experiencing. I also noticed that my voice started to improve (I could hardly get any words out for days prior). I still sound like crap, but it's actually quite an improvement from the beginning of the week!

Since taking baths in the 40s this week, I've noticed some good things - prior to getting in the tub, my temperature goes up by about 1 degree, and when I get out, every body part that was submerged is a bright cherry red. I only get some very slight shivering towards the end of the soaks (I can stay in for about 20-30 minutes), then start shivering violently for awhile, about 10 minutes after I get out. Thankfully I seem to recover faster now than I was at the beginning. I have a feeling it's because I've been keeping my feet out of the water though.
    I've been debating whether to keep them in or out. I seem to have banged up one of my toes recently and it feels like it might be sprained. I figure the cold water will help, but it's so damned hard to warm up afterwards once I've soaked my feet! And I can stay in longer if I keep them out of the water.
    Any thoughts on feet in or out? (It sounds like I'm doing the hokey pokey!)

Another improvement that I've noticed from my more frequent CT sessions:
    About 10 weeks ago I had minor knee surgery. I've had my full range of motion back for awhile now, but had a band of swelling just above my kneecap that would NOT budge. I noticed this morning that the swelling is hardly noticeable now.

I've yet to really notice an improved tolerance to cold or heat. Granted, I've been rather erratic with my CT sessions. For the last week, I've done every other day, but am really going to shoot for daily for at least 2 weeks. With how long it takes to get the tub ready, on top of the time I spend soaking, it's quite a commitment.

I've got a small area of cellulite on the outside of one thigh that I've been spot icing daily for at least 30 minutes.

I'm eating a keto diet with lots more fish and shrimp that I had been eating. I'm actually following an anti-candida diet, as I expect that I am suffering from candida overgrowth. I wonder if CT can help with candida? Well, I imagine it can't hurt!

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    That's what i keep hearing, but since I just moved here a few months ago, and this winter was the most mildest on record with practically no snow, so far the Buffalo winter has eluded me. I'm excited to be prepared for it next season, though!
    I live in Erie, Pa on the lake and last winter was a vacation. We get the snow bad here, but you get it worse. My uncle and his family lived in Orchard Park and would drive to my parents house on Christmas Day. It was always a debate whether they would make it to Pennsylvania. You will have plenty of chances to CT in your 24"/day snow storms.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    ha. I didnt CT bath but I iced. I made some packets with my foodsaver. One longish in the narrow width, for my belly. The way I had to put it in the freezer, it had a natural curve to it so it worked great! I brought it out tonight and DH said, that is a bit overkill, isn't it? He just rolls his eyes at me. lol

And then I made two smaller packs I thought maybe for my thighs or something but I only used the belly one. For about an hour in one spot, about 15 or so minutes on another spot then I went to bed.
    Solid ice packs will be liklier to cause frost bite than crushed ice with water. Solid ice can be way colder than 32. Be careful. You may want to not put it directly on your skin.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, good to know. I did read somewhere to wrap it or make sure not put it directly on the skin, or something. So I used a pillowcase with the extra case on the top side.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been putting the freezer packs directly on my skin...maybe I've got an exceptionally tough exterior, because I've not had any problems - always pink/red. I wonder if this means I can continue doing this since my skin probably has some tolerance at this point, or if I'm still capable of injuring myself with this method.

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast