Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Water for Fat Loss, Muscle Recovery, and Increased Metabolism Thread page 10

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    did some ankle stretches in the bath this morning. actually as much of a warrior pose as i could get in the water before an upward dog and then total submersion.
    Hey, Q-dog; what is your take on hunger and cold? I'm impressed how well you are keeping up on the CT! Did you get your ice machine working?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    CT made me feel like i need to eat less, which is why i have not chimed in on the subject.

I think however that CT makes O3/O6 imbalanced people seek a balance. as the O6 is pulled into the cells that lowers available energy producers ( free fatty acids ) and so someone who has poor cell integrity and has not worked on that prior will crave food. those who lack body intuition to see that it is a specific thing will eat everything and some will gain weight..

i was ketogenic for 6 months prior to my first CT. I drank salmon oil for 3 months to get my o3 wher eit belonged and i ate 50K of vitamin D to get that to the "normal" levels.

Honey badger is a different animal. and most of what i do i methodical so i miss out on some of the adventures many post here.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

otzi Guest
    CT made me feel like i need to eat less, which is why i have not chimed in on the subject.
    This is a very difficult concept to discuss. Everyone's perception of cold and hunger is different. Kind of like asking, "What does it feel like when you get shocked". I learned a lot about hunger in my journey from 250lbs to 164lbs. So much of hunger is just conditioning. Same for cold. A few months back, I put my office down to 64 degrees. At first I was cold all day, but now it feels great. When people come in, they freak out that it's so cold. It cuts down on interruptions, for sure!

All the studies show chronic cold exposure lower leptin, which should make you hungry. But other studies imply that cold receptors act on leptin receptors negating the effect of the low leptin levels. Just no studies out there to prove definitively what's going on.

I can't wait until someone makes a pill that activates all the cold pathways--then we'll get some studies done! I'll still be in ice water while they all worry about going blind.

Good luck, dude!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I know with the kids, I have to drag them out to eat almost. They never want to get out because they are hungry. Now once they are out and are dry, they might be starving. And dead tired. Well at least later. They sleep like umm babies
    Last edited by gopintos; 06-07-2012 at 12:39 PM.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

I think however that CT makes O3/O6 imbalanced people seek a balance. as the O6 is pulled into the cells that lowers available energy producers ( free fatty acids ) and so someone who has poor cell integrity and has not worked on that prior will crave food. those who lack body intuition to see that it is a specific thing will eat everything and some will gain weight..

i was ketogenic for 6 months prior to my first CT. I drank salmon oil for 3 months to get my o3 wher eit belonged and i ate 50K of vitamin D to get that to the "normal" levels.
    Could you explain the omega 3/6 situation with regards to CT? It was mentioned in passing on the previous thread, but I didn't understand the connection.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    omega 6 fatty acids are recruited to make the cell membrane more pliant in colder tempuratures. this has to come from somewhere... so it comes from your LDL first then your adipose tissues it happens quickly so you feel the lack as hunger. but only if you didnt have a good balance to begin with.

all sorts of intersting things happen during cold adaptation. and most of us are malnourished even with primal
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Anna K. is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Here's a really good article on the subject...foodconsumer.org - Muscle Soreness -- Is Cold Water Immersion An Effective Treatment?

"After analyzing 17 trials involving over 360 people who either rested or immersed themselves in cold water after resistance training, cycling or running, researchers found the cold-water baths were much more effective in relieving sore muscles one to four days after exercise.

They concluded:

"There was some evidence that cold-water immersion reduces muscle soreness at 24, 48, 72 and even at 96 hours after exercise compared with 'passive' treatment."

Just how cold does the water need to be? In this case, most of the studies involved a water temperature of 10-15 degrees C (50-59 degrees F), which participants stayed in for about 24 minutes. Some of the trials involved colder temperatures or "contrast immersion," which means alternating between cold and warm water (this did not show a significant benefit compared to rest).
    "
    Otzi, thanks for the info. I will try it again next time and see if it works better.

Anna K. is offline Junior Member
    omega 6 fatty acids are recruited to make the cell membrane more pliant in colder tempuratures. this has to come from somewhere... so it comes from your LDL first then your adipose tissues it happens quickly so you feel the lack as hunger. but only if you didnt have a good balance to begin with.

all sorts of intersting things happen during cold adaptation. and most of us are malnourished even with primal
    after a few weeks of baths, I started craving more fatty foods and fatty seafood especially as well as nuts and eating less lean beef.

It also made fasting easy.

yes, many interesting things happen.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I have eaten way more eggs this week than I can remember. Also I started the week with about 10 dozen that need to be used up, and I was trying to keep carbs lower and do without my yogurt, so I have been turning to more eggs. I have been hungrier this week, but I think really though, my calories are more where they should be now. I think I was a bit too low most of the time. Will see here afterwhile, but I seem to lose weight more steadily when I keep my calories around 1500 - 1600. I am normally full on 1200 but I think I am seeing a pattern and do better with a little more.
    Last edited by gopintos; 06-08-2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: ate/eaten whatever

McChunky is offline Member
    How long should one try this?

I'm on my first week and was planning to do the spot-icing for two weeks, wait two weeks and then evaluate at the end of June.

I'm basing this experiment off of the Coolsculpting technique which says results come after some time has elapsed to give the body time to eliminate the fat cells.

Anyone have a more credible reason for the length of time to try or is it just ice until you start seeing results?

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast