Thread: Digestive problems since birth. please help page

babo91 is offline Junior Member

Digestive problems since birth. please help

I'll start with the following points

1. I was 2 months premature and born through c section

2. I was not breast fed as a child

Because of this, i know that i may never have optimal digestion but i'm trying my best. From birth to the age of 18 (now 21) i suffered with inredible constipation and i actually went 6 weeks without a bowel movement. At the age of 18 i discovered the world of real food and paleo, i lost 20lbs, 90% of my acne went a away, i could think better, i lost 5 inches off my waist and my bowel movement frequency increased to 3-4 times a week.

A few months ago, i decided that i was gonna ditch grains and other junk food alltogether, even though i had been eating very little of it in the first place. I upped my intake of fruits, vegetables and tubers and removed the small amount of grains in my diet, so my fiber intake actually increased.

However, since about then my bowel movement frequency has been reduced to about once every three days and i have bouts of bloating and severe back and abdominal pain after eating, the bloating and pain has died down a little but im now incredibly constipated. I started taking digestive enzymes but i think they caused me to experience pain after eating, probiotics seemed to work with my bloating but not with my constipation.

What would you do in my situation

increase fiber intake ?
    decrease fiber intake ?
    reintroduce grains ?
    have numerous tests done ?

I don not like going to the doctors because all they do is offer a quick fix solution and they will just tell me to eat more fiber and whole grains.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. My health is brilliant except for my digestion so i would like to fix this.

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    I just wondered, do you eat much dairy and what vegetables do you eat on a regular basis?

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Decrease INDIGESTIBLE fibers such as skins of apples and tomatoes, white stuff on oranges etc...
    Take a probiotic.
    Take a Magnesium (-ate) Supplement.
    Read Fiber Menace and go to Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

Also, dairy (regardless in what form) ferments in the stomach because of hte stomach acid, it turns into curd and the bi-product is gas. This is normal...it has nothing to do with milk allergies, just drink/eat less if you're not lactose intolerant.

I did actually start consuming fermented dairy again a few months back but now i've decreased it and im still having problems.

My daily food intake looks a little like this

- 2 eggs cooked in olive oil or coconut oil
    - Bowl of berries (usually strawberries or rasberries)

- Slow cooked pork with a load of cabbage, spinach or broccolli

- Slow cooked chicken leg with a sweet potato, carrots and spinach

- For snacks i may have an apple or some nuts ( i don't handle most nuts well)

Thats what my average day is.

I don't think i'm lactose intolerant but is a probiotic without lactose preferable ?

greytgrokette! is offline Junior Member
    It looks good to me, but think the cabbage may be a problem. I know when I eat alot of it I get really gassy, so it's something to think about. Also cut back on the starchy veggies, such as potatos, and yams. Hope this helps out.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    Decrease INDIGESTIBLE fibers such as skins of apples and tomatoes, white stuff on oranges etc...
    Take a probiotic.
    Take a Magnesium (-ate) Supplement.
    Read Fiber Menace and go to Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

Also, dairy (regardless in what form) ferments in the stomach because of hte stomach acid, it turns into curd and the bi-product is gas. This is normal...it has nothing to do with milk allergies, just drink/eat less if you're not lactose intolerant.
    +1

My 11 year old daughter has the same issues as you (normal for her is every 2 to 3 weeks). I always thought that fiber was good until I found Gut sense and it blew my mind. It makes absolute sense too (no pun intended). My daughter always gets worse when she eats more fiber. Giving more liquids doesn't help either. We give her stomach enzymes and cherry juice right now and try to keep her from eating indigestible fiber. She goes about once per week with just these fixes. I believe that dairy doesn't help her but gluten is way worse. I have thought about the reason's for her problems alot and done some research. Some things that I believe may be involved with her problems

-My daughter is the only one out of my 5 kids who refused to breast feed (fed a bottle by grandma) at 4 months. She did get it until that point but the rest of my kids breast fed for 10-15 months. They have no problems with constipation or digestion.
    -I was also very sick during my pregnancy with her from gallbladder disease which I believe may be related. The doctors perscribed Prilosec for it which obviously did not help at all.
    -I was severely anemic with her. The doctors perscribed 3 x the amount of iron recomeded for a normal pregnant woman. That had to have had some effect on her.
    -She was fed soy formula from about 5 months on. I tried to pump my milk for a while but it just didn't work when I only had a hand pump. Sadley at that time I believed soy was healthier than dairy
    Anyhow, I hope you get your problems resolved. I worry so much that my daughter will always have this problem and it makes me sad.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I feel a lot of sympathy for what you're experiencing. I was a month early and have also had lifelong digestive issues. For a while in my early childhood, all I could comfortably eat was eggs and bananas. It wasn't until adult life and my celiac diagnosis that things started to turn around for me.

For me, being careful about what sort of fibre I eat is important. I used to eat a lot of flax after my celiac diagnosis because I was told that would help me since I wasn't eating grains, but for me, that was not a good idea.

Also, for some people, brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) can be problematic digestively.

I find having some tea or coffee daily helps keep things moving.

You might find it's helpful to keep a food and symptom diary for a bit to see if you're better or worse after eating certain foods--you might find a pattern. You might also track things like rest, activity, and that sort of thing since those factors can also affect your digestion.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Thanks for the advice guys. When i completely eliminated grains i thought that i had to really up my vegetable intake to make up for the loss of fiber. It now seems evident that fiber is the problem. Do you think peeled sweet potatos and white rice would be ok as they are low in fiber ?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I tolerate white rice well and eat it regularly. Peeled sweet potatoes are good too. I feel fine with soluble fibre--it's too much of the insoluble type that seems to bother me.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal