Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I had liver the other night. It wasn't as offal as I imagined. page 2

JVib is offline Senior Member
    I never had liver growing up, because my father hated it. I didn't try it until about a year ago. It is now one of my favorite meals. I typically eat one 4-6 oz peice of local, orgainic, grass fed beef liver once a week. I fry up some onions, garlic, & chives in lard (in my cast iron pan), then I add the liver. I cook it nice and rare. I remove this and then cook 4 duck eggs in the left over grease.....friggen awesome!
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    My grandma cooked it in bacon fat.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I hate the flavor and the texture. The best way I've found is to cut calf liver in to small cubes and dredge them in a coconut flour/curry powder. I then quickly "deep fry" in ghee and serve the little cubes with a lemon/cilantro vinaigrette. The texture it better to me when they get this crispy outer bit and then don't get to overcooked.

Anyway - it worked for me. Now I just have to find a decent source of calf liver.....
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    I'm eating liver a couple of times a week to overcome an iron defiency so this post giving me a boost! I had it for lunch today coated in coconut flour and fried in coconut oil. I browned some onions and shredded and wilted some swiss chard, mixed it all up and put two fried eggs and some freshly milled black pepper. Man - it was good!

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    My mother used to try to feed me liver, bacon and onions with pease pudding. Utterly. Vile. But, she also made chicken liver pasta, which was chicken liver slivers sauteed in a tomato and onion sauce with lots of parsley which is delicious (sans pasta). I also like any kind of pate or terrine. The only other form of liver I find edible is lambs liver, soaked in lemon juice, then rinsed, dried, dredged in beaten egg then dipped in coconut flour and lightly fried. It's OK.

johnmjoy is offline Member
    Here’s what I do:
    1. Thinly slice calves’ liver and place in a bowl with crushed garlic and red wine to cover. Let soak an hour or so.
    2. Trim, peel, and half an onion (or a couple if they’re small) and thinly slice.
    3. Sauté the onion in Kerrygold (or another safe fat) until decently caramelized. Remove to a warm plate.
    4. In batches (if needed, as not to overcrowd the pan) sauté the liver, adding more Kerrygold/fat as needed. This needs to be HOT and QUICK, DO NOT overcook the liver! Add to plate with onions.
    5. Deglaze the pan with a bit of demiglace. Add back the stuff in the plate to warm through.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I bought a ton of calves liver yesterday.

I seasoned it.

Then threw it all on the BBQ.

AWESOME!!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I got some liverwurst from US Wellness meats. It's beef liverwurst (most liverwurst is pig liver.) It's very mild in flavor and fairly firm. It's pretty good. I think I could mix it in with eggs either scrambled or in an omelet. But today I just placed cold circles on lettuce leaves and topped with sour cream and avocado for a plain and simple breakfast.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I have always liked liver decently well - my favorite growing up was German liverwurst. (Mom IS a resident-alien German...) Didn't like slices of liver as my dear Mutti seems kind of afraid of meat and always cooks/cooked all flesh to a hearty well-done - her liver hit a sizzling hot pan naked and instantly curled up and died. It wasn't until I reached adulthood and started collecting cookbooks that I discovered the tastiness of liver more gently cooked in butter and taken off the heat before all the pink disappears...

Here might be your next adventure...kidneys. I actually found some fresh ones not too long ago. I instantly did a cookbook and internet recipe search for the proper method. The internet had wonderful suggestions like "no matter what you do, kidneys always smell like piss", and the like. I finally found a friendly web page and tried it. Know what - it is decent! I can see where the English would make steak-and-kidney pie a national dish... Now to find whatever is known by the euphemism of "sweetbreads"...

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sweetbreads are the thyroid gland. They are expensive in England, but you can get them from any decent butcher, or online.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast