Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Myth and it's Lies? page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

Vegetarian Myth and it's Lies?

Primal Fuel
    Heya

I know old topic, I just found the book and went to look up the author, Lierre Keith. There is as much out there about how she is Lieing, crazy, idiotic etc.... as there is about her being courageous for speaking the truth.

My question is what is it she is lieing about? I am reading the book, she seems earnest and what she says seems right to me but I don't know enough. Is the book inaccurate on certain topics? She comes very close to certain cherished points of opinion of mine and I am looking for ways to critique what I am reading.

Please don't use this as an excuse to bash The vegheads, I would like better understand the issue not just get angry at them for being idiots.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    It's definitely worth reading. I don't think she was particularly lying about anything, the book just contains some fundamental errors like most published books do. I haven't read it for a while but I remember the nutrition and environmental sections had errors. You definitely don't doubt her passion. It shouldn't be held up as some kind of bible that debunks vegetarianism nor should it be thrown into the book burning mobile like most vegans think it should. I think the accusations of lying were regarding about being a fully fledged vegan. I remember in an interview she said something about how she binged on eggs and dairy a lot.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think vegetarianism or even veganism is idiotic in the scheme of things. If my choice was to:
    Be a vegetarian, eating beans, veggies, fruits, dairy, eggs, grains or
    Be a fake food CW person eating Chicken Lean Cuisines and fat free sugar free yogurt or
    SAD with all the crap donalds, pizza rolls and mountain dews I could shovel in

I'd call the vegetarian option healthier, and even the vegan option healthier. Most vegetarians and vegans who do it for health reasons eat good, whole foods and are close to primal- they just don't eat the meats.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Melissa at Hunt Gather Love had a fairly scathing review and she is on the paleo side of things. Her beef is mostly about the belief she shares with Derrick Jensen about the evils of civilization and with her political ideas at the end of her book. She tends to get pretty passionate and say things that may or may not be true. I personally didn't agree with Melissa's opinion, but here you go:
    Deep Green Insanity | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Wow just wow. Ok thanks Sbhikes.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Otter is offline Junior Member
    I'm not familiar with this book or what it's about but if you're interested in learning more about the effects food has on our bodies I encourage you to check out the movie "Forks Over Knives" and "Eating". They can both be found on Amazon. The facts and information contained in these films could save your life.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I watched Forks Over Knives some months ago (when I was still vegan). It's pretty much a synopsis of the China Study with a few other vegan crusaders in the film cheering it on.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I'm disappointed she's gone so far off the deep end. I liked a lot of the arguments in The Vegetarian Myth because I have a lot of friends who are ethical vegetarians/vegans, and I've found it helpful to be able to talk about some of those issues from that perspective (although she does get ridiculously doom and gloom at the end). However, it should be noted that Pollan also makes some of those arguments quite effectively in The Omnivore's Dilemma without condemning all of humanity to destruction, and in much more graceful prose too.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have found that almost nobody who writes passionately about a topic can keep from trailing off into some sort of offensive deep end at some point. I take from her book what I like and leave the rest.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    I'm not familiar with this book or what it's about but if you're interested in learning more about the effects food has on our bodies I encourage you to check out the movie "Forks Over Knives" and "Eating". They can both be found on Amazon. The facts and information contained in these films could save your life.
    I know I'm feeding an obvious troll, but the only thing Forks over Knives will save you is the deliciousness of and vitality caused by eating delicious fatty meat.

Not as familiar with eating, but if it's based on the China Study, like so many of the claims found in Forks over Knives, you will be able to see through the lies by reading this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast