Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Myth and it's Lies? page 3

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    while I agree with that assessment she does make some good points. I just finished it and the men are evil thing is old. she suggests disassembling civilization but that wont work and even if we did take north america apart into a bunch of regional small communities where does she imagine the socially fair, egalitarian culture would come from?

I also suspect china would land troops in L.A. and claim North America for themselves.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Bioletti is offline Member
    [QUOTE=earthspirit;855716]... the "we are doomed and we have completely destroyed everything because of men" vibe...

Yeah, that reeks of militant feminism to me.
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    Oh I dont quite disagree with her on that but it solves nothing to be so angry and divisive.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    She sounded a bit too fanatical in her book which grated with me so I never finished it.

A book that is similar is Beyond Broccoli. The only things I didn't really care for in this book was her stuff on spirituality and her raw foodism.

If you just want the environmental impact then Meat: A Benign Extravagance is the book I recommend. Really delves into the inputs/outputs of farming and the nutrients you can get out of it. The author promotes a default livestock method (have enough animals to run the farm, and eat those animals when they die), as opposed to no-animal farms or farms whose express purpose is to raise livestock for food.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I prefer Derrek Jensen to Lierre Keith, but I see both of them as an extreme position that helps balance the "We can do whatever the hell we want because it's natural" position. Do they have the final answer? No. But they are helping to open people's eyes to the fact that we ARE a problem.

I really liked the link to the writer/anthroplogist. I hadn't thought about what we would eat during the fall, but he's got a very good point. We will eat anything we can get our hands on.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

NobleSavage is offline Member
    I think we have a tendency to doubt 'doomsday' prophecies like Jensens because we dont really believe it'll happen. We think we believe it but we dont take the neccesary measures as a consequence. Are any of us selling our cars, dropping electronics and walking to work? no. Are we stocking up on canned foods and taking to the russian or canadian wilderness? no. Why? Because we dont REALLY believe this'll affect us.
    This has probably been the issue with every major catastrophe. I like to think of the Roman Empire as an example of this. The Western Empire fell, roughly, in a matter of 50 years. When Rome itself was sacked in 410 it had not been sacked for 800 years. 800 years!! We like to think that the UN or Western Dominance is unbreakable and it hasn't lasted anywhere near that long. Imagine the disbelief the average Roman must've felt as goths poured into the city to pillage and rape. In other words they suffered from the same problem we do today. They didnt really believe it'd happen. But it did.
    Sure often it doesn't happen but eventually it does. Always. And next time it it could very well end in our decimation as a species.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    I think we have a tendency to doubt 'doomsday' prophecies like Jensens because we dont really believe it'll happen. We think we believe it but we dont take the neccesary measures as a consequence. Are any of us selling our cars, dropping electronics and walking to work? no. Are we stocking up on canned foods and taking to the russian or canadian wilderness? no. Why? Because we dont REALLY believe this'll affect us.
    This has probably been the issue with every major catastrophe. I like to think of the Roman Empire as an example of this. The Western Empire fell, roughly, in a matter of 50 years. When Rome itself was sacked in 410 it had not been sacked for 800 years. 800 years!! We like to think that the UN or Western Dominance is unbreakable and it hasn't lasted anywhere near that long. Imagine the disbelief the average Roman must've felt as goths poured into the city to pillage and rape. In other words they suffered from the same problem we do today. They didnt really believe it'd happen. But it did.
    Sure often it doesn't happen but eventually it does. Always. And next time it it could very well end in our decimation as a species.
    This is a great point. However, the fact still remains that it is THIS civilization that is the problem, not ALL civilization. I haven't read books from either author, but advocating the violent destruction of civilization is as anti-human as you can get. We've had violent revolutions in the past, and look where they've led us. How about trying something different for once?

Also, the idea that males have caused the problem is ludicrous. Our culture has degraded human sexuality to a point where neither gender lives up to its true potential. It is not men, nor is it women. It's both.

Lastly, almost all world events are dictated by a very small handful of people. People in this culture are not raised with the knowledge of how to live self-sustainably in accordance with nature, but rather as cogs in a machine that creates massive profits for this "elite" few. Again, it is not civilization that is the problem -- it is our current approach.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    First I'd like to question why in this modern age that anything "lesbian" is supposed to be bad? Come on man, in this day and age that's just ignorant. I think there are some less, ahem, less homophobic amongst who sincerely think it doesn't really speak to them to which I would remind that a book like this isn't really written for you. There are lots of folks out there who have gone vegan out of sincere beliefs that they are doing some good in the world that are suffering some horrible health consequences for it. If reading this book helps folks come to a more healthy way of eating, but in a way that makes them feel like they are being true to their beliefs, then I don't see what the problem is. I can't say that I agree with everything Keith does but it was certainly a compelling life story and journey, had some good insights and was good to hear another viewpoint. It's a shame we live in such a polarised world that we don't think someone has anything to offer or teach us unless they are lock step in agreement with everything we believe.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    while I agree with that assessment she does make some good points. I just finished it and the men are evil thing is old. she suggests disassembling civilization but that wont work and even if we did take north america apart into a bunch of regional small communities where does she imagine the socially fair, egalitarian culture would come from?

I also suspect china would land troops in L.A. and claim North America for themselves.
    Why would you suspect that? What incentive would they have to do that if a decentralized North America would be willing to trade with a state like China? And, what makes you think a decentralized North America would not be able to protect itself from a state like China? And, why does it have to be China that's the aggressors?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Why would you suspect that? What incentive would they have to do that if a decentralized North America would be willing to trade with a state like China? And, what makes you think a decentralized North America would not be able to protect itself from a state like China? And, why does it have to be China that's the aggressors?
    Please take your libertarian utopia to the nerdrage thread.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast