Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Myth and it's Lies? page 2

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    I watched Forks Over Knives some months ago (when I was still vegan). It's pretty much a synopsis of the China Study with a few other vegan crusaders in the film cheering it on.
    Denise Minger would agree with you.

Personally haven't watched "Forks Over Knives". Someday I'll stream it on Netflix. When I'm bored. And can get drunk again.

icz
    icz is offline Member
    I am vegetarian-sympathetic, and I could not finish Forks over Knives. I found it to be such a propaganda piece that it made me uncomfortable to watch. (And this is from someone who was probably eating meat only 1-2xs a week prior to getting hooked on MDA.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I know I'm feeding an obvious troll, but the only thing Forks over Knives will save you is the deliciousness of and vitality caused by eating delicious fatty meat.

Lol, yes you are. I'm telling ya I see one or two every day here lately. Junior members, signed on that day to post.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

NobleSavage is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Melissa at Hunt Gather Love had a fairly scathing review and she is on the paleo side of things. Her beef is mostly about the belief she shares with Derrick Jensen about the evils of civilization and with her political ideas at the end of her book. She tends to get pretty passionate and say things that may or may not be true. I personally didn't agree with Melissa's opinion, but here you go:
    Deep Green Insanity | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture
    I just read her post. I haven't (unfortunatly) gotten around to reading Derrick Jensens books but i know the general debat and have a philosophical and archaeological interest in it. Where do you stand in this?
    I found Melissas 'argumentation' against their views annoying and completely lacking. Not once does she provide good quantitative proof of what she says. She simply shrugs off everything they say as if its pure lunacy or stems from an abusive childhood.
    Imo the case against civilization seems to be pretty well founded in archaeological data.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    You know what I find interesting, is that in practice, eating paleo (or at least the way I'm doing it) isn't all that far from how I ate when I was vegan.. especially raw vegan. It feels almost like a natural progression, and based on the amount of other ex-vegetarians I've seen in this forum, I am guessing I'm not the only one who feels that way. The two lifestyles make a big deal of how different they are, but really both focus on eating veggies. It just happens that some of us respond a whole lot better getting protein animal sources (for a variety of reasons). Yep, there will always be the extremists who will disagree with me, and that means that the two sides are unlikely to ever get along. (and as a side note, trust me, if you think vegans are weirdos, you should meet some of the folks in the raw vegan community.. they're downright kooky!)

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    That would be my sister in law. sweet but whoo. thankfully she is really hesitant to preach at me for my food choices.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    I just read her post. I haven't (unfortunatly) gotten around to reading Derrick Jensens books but i know the general debat and have a philosophical and archaeological interest in it. Where do you stand in this?
    I found Melissas 'argumentation' against their views annoying and completely lacking. Not once does she provide good quantitative proof of what she says. She simply shrugs off everything they say as if its pure lunacy or stems from an abusive childhood.
    Imo the case against civilization seems to be pretty well founded in archaeological data.
    I read her post too. She dismisses Jensen's and Kieth's critiques of civilization w/o really examining them. While I don't agree with everything they say I think their critique of civilization is valid. I found it annoying that Melissa used the term anarchy (as in; descend into anarchy) when chaos or disorder would have been more accurate.

From what I understand Lierre Keith isn't doing public appearances because she got a pie filled with pepper oil thrown in her face by angry vegans, not because she's on a terrorist watch list.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    While I did enjoy most aspects of the book, the "we are doomed and we have completely destroyed everything because of men" vibe that it has in it did put me off somewhat. I do know that we are destroying our environment but I don't really needs all the doomsday political agenda extreme feminist side of the story along with what could have potentially been a very informative book. This is my take on it anyways. I'm sure other people took the information differently.

NobleSavage is offline Member
    If anybody is interested in a more intelligent critique of Jensens books i suggest reading this: Commentary — Endgame Vol. 1 and 2 by Derrick Jensen | Steven Erikson It is by Steven Erikson, a fantasy author - he writes some truly dense and intelligent tomes - he holds degrees in anthropology and archaeology, so he actually has relevant credentials.
    Also his books are great!

Heinous is offline Junior Member
    I couldn't finish the book. As much as I wanted The Vegetarian Myth to be good, I found the constant man-hating, lesbian, faux-feminist ranting to be too much of a distraction. I'd have no problem if it was relevant, but it really wasn't.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast