Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 66

Thread: Just another "tell me why I'm not losing weight" thread page 5

  1. #41
    nixxy's Avatar
    nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    300
    Primal Fuel
    Good link, thank you. They were for anxiety and depression.

    It makes me happy to see more health professionals coming round to "alternative" ideas. Sometimes, with all of the reading I'm doing, it makes me wonder why this hasn't caught on more. I don't think I know anyone, besides some bodybuilders I know, who pay attention to carbs/protein/fats or how their diet may be affecting their health. Sometimes I wonder "am I really searching for biased information without realising it?" which would be why all my research gives me the same conclusions... but no, my searches are often generic... the evidence just all points to the same things a lot of the time!

    I think you're right, I need to be stricter. I have probably only had grains twice in the last 3-4 months, but I should make that zero. Perhaps I'll do the whole30, or just continue as I am but with no deviations from primal, and see how I feel after 4-6 weeks.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

    Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

    My blog
    My journal

  2. #42
    Licorice's Avatar
    Licorice is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    I see all these lengthy replies but the answer to your question is simple:

    you're not losing weight because the calories you are consuming are equal to or exceeding the amount you burn.
    You sound as naive as those people that assume overweight people are overeating.

  3. #43
    Lawyerchick12's Avatar
    Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    I see all these lengthy replies but the answer to your question is simple:

    you're not losing weight because the calories you are consuming are equal to or exceeding the amount you burn.

    This thread, as are many others similar to it, is chalked full of overly complicated responses that don't even address this fundamental fact in a specific way. If you wish to improve your body composition by losing body fat, you need to establish a daily calorie deficit which you body compensates with by using it's own fat stores.

    You say you don't want to agonize over food by counting calories... but I've really learned something through my own experiences: counting calories can be a bit annoying, but it's really not so hard with tools like fitday and cronometer, and you save the agony of uncertainty that comes with not counting.

    Should I eat this, that? Not this, not that? I dunno, I dunno... I see this over and over again on this forum when people complain about not losing that last bit of fat, yet they never have a specific plan on how to do it in the first place. Why not just count, set a daily deficit goal, and not think about it for the rest of the day? People say they don't want to "agonize" over counting calories.... when in reality it takes maybe one minute to program food into fit day, then they sit on these forums and bang their heads on their desk scruitinizing the advanced details while completely ignoring the fundamentals. Heck, try and count 80% of the time...that will be better than nothing.

    You should track your progress over a month or two and snap some pics of yourself in front of the mirror. If you don't see noticeable progress in fat loss, then you know you need to tweak things and retry - if you're not counting you'll never know what the problem is in the first place.
    And I detest people who ridicule or belittle other people's opinions and contributions whilst simultaneously making gross generalizations about their warped insights on same said opinions and contributions. If people are taking time out to offer suggestions or opinions, who made u the godly authority on which opinion makes more sense? Believe it or not, your post was also just one of many opinions. It is pathetic how SOME people have some grandeur delusions that their opinion is somehow the overriding authority on a said issue. Your post was extremely patronizing, insulting and condescending.

    I would assume a lot of posters here are very educated and do lots of research on this subject matter. The very fact that a lot of people have chosen to go primal here speaks volumes already. I am an A-type personality. I am extremely meticulous when it comes to counting calories and i KNOW for a fact that based on my BMR calorie calculator, even when I ate under my recommended daily allowances and exercised copious amounts per week, I would NOT lose weight when my non primal carb count was high. OBVIOUSLY I did not know THEN that it was the reason I was not losing weight. I am almost done reading Sisson's primal blueprint and now know that was the reason. I was fit af but could not lose weight and it stressed me out so much not knowing why I was not losing. I have other slight med issues mostly iron related I do not care to divulge but now I am clearer than clear that the calories in vs calories out mantra DOES NOT APPLY to my personal life situation.

    Go have several seats.
    Last edited by Lawyerchick12; 06-05-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling errors :)

  4. #44
    nixxy's Avatar
    nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    300
    I'm glad you two agree with me that he was being belittling, condescending and patronising - I thought I might be over reacting.

    His replies are like he didn't even read my post.

    How did he think I knew my cal ratios and my daily carb intake if I wasn't tracking??

    I won't say much more because I don't want this thread to be personal attacks, but I hope primal pete realises he's not some holier-than-thou guru and we're all idiots. No suggestion he provided has given me any insight whatsoever, I'm already doing everything he suggested. I said I don't want to count forever, not that I wasn't counting. Tracking meticulously for 30 days has given me great approximation skills, and I still track every second or third day just to be sure. The primal lifestyle, to me, will eventually be intuitive and I will maintain my health and eat at appropriate levels once my health is more optimal and I can control my hunger.


    Lawyerchick your post could've come out of my own mouth
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

    Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

    My blog
    My journal

  5. #45
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,522
    I would make a couple of suggestions:

    -it is not uncommon for weight loss to periodically slow down or stop and then start again. You could just try to be patient for a bit and see if it starts up again. In the mean time, focus on getting good sleep and playing.

    -dairy and nuts can be a big issue for lots of people. Especially dairy for women. I would eliminate them for a few weeks.

    -make sure you are getting plenty of nutrient dense foods. Liver at least once per week, brazil nuts (good for thyroid function), oysters for zinc, sea veggies for iodine, and bone marrow and bone stocks. I cannot lose weight unless I am healthy so it is important to keep nutrient dense foods in my diet. Did I read that you are on metformin? It can cause B12 deficiency so make sure you are eating liver and/or taking a subligual methylated B12.

    -I think it is a good thing to eat more carbs a couple times a week. So I would not suggest NOT tightening up things to much on the weekends.

    -How is your snacking? I find intermittent fasting to be a great way to eliminate snacking, increase the size of my meals, and naturally cut calories.

    Good luck!!

    ETA: Oh yeah - please make sure your vitamin D3 levels are good and that you are getting plenty of magnesium
    Last edited by jammies; 06-05-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  6. #46
    quelsen's Avatar
    quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lexington Kentucky
    Posts
    2,972
    nixxy,
    beating systemic infection isnt easy. but doable. your guts are an open wound... literally. what would you do if you could see them

    wash and dress them right.

    well here is the wash for the gut. magnesium citrate
    here is the dressing, coconut oil.

    just like bleeding off the excess glocose you do the work and then wait for the results and i am sorry to say this wont happen in the snap of your fingers. I track people who do this and i posit your best recovery time at 6 months.

    realize that introducing coconut oil will alter other things like cholesterol and ketogenisis, so you may as well get all your bangs for your buck and ride that wave.

    i left you a list of steps that i can elaborate on if you wish, but basically get the stuff out, stop putting the stuff in and wait for it to die of its own accord.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

    Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

    CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


    Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

  7. #47
    Paysan's Avatar
    Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    281
    Nixxy, you might get a lot of benefit from checking out the iodine thread on the forum for ridding yourself of inflammation.

  8. #48
    tcseacliff's Avatar
    tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If you are not hungry, do not eat more. In fact, always eat only when hungry, and stop when you are no longer hungry (not full, rather no longer hungry). Your body knows better than a calculator how much it needs. If you are full & don't experience desire to eat any more, you are likely at maintenance. Take away 1/4 of what you eat at every meal. If you consistently run deficits, your hunger will start increasing and become more persistent. Do not afraid to reefed when and if it happens. Try a 14 hr fast, and see if you can eat as if you did not fast after that. If it triggers binge, do not fast. With the workouts do only what you can do; the goal is to get healthier, not to get hurt.
    how do i then address the axiom i keep hearing, "you're not eating enough".! if you read what some guys eat on lean gains and stuff . and intermittent fasting, some guys eat whole chickens and 1lb beef and side dishes at one sitting. I eat my frittata as first meal of day between 9am noon.then I can go easily to dinner at 7 or 8, not too hungry. the cal in that fritatta is not much. still fat (need to lose 30 for my height).

  9. #49
    Licorice's Avatar
    Licorice is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    And I detest people who ridicule or belittle other people's opinions and contributions whilst simultaneously making gross generalizations about their warped insights on same said opinions and contributions. If people are taking time out to offer suggestions or opinions, who made u the godly authority on which opinion makes more sense? Believe it or not, your post was also just one of many opinions. It is pathetic how SOME people have some grandeur delusions that their opinion is somehow the overriding authority on a said issue. Your post was extremely patronizing, insulting and condescending.

    I would assume a lot of posters here are very educated and do lots of research on this subject matter. The very fact that a lot of people have chosen to go primal here speaks volumes already. I am an A-type personality. I am extremely meticulous when it comes to counting calories and i KNOW for a fact that based on my BMR calorie calculator, even when I ate under my recommended daily allowances and exercised copious amounts per week, I would NOT lose weight when my non primal carb count was high. OBVIOUSLY I did not know THEN that it was the reason I was not losing weight. I am almost done reading Sisson's primal blueprint and now know that was the reason. I was fit af but could not lose weight and it stressed me out so much not knowing why I was not losing. I have other slight med issues mostly iron related I do not care to divulge but now I am clearer than clear that the calories in vs calories out mantra DOES NOT APPLY to my personal life situation.

    Go have several seats.
    Well said.

  10. #50
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,302
    Quote Originally Posted by tcseacliff View Post
    how do i then address the axiom i keep hearing, "you're not eating enough".! if you read what some guys eat on lean gains and stuff . and intermittent fasting, some guys eat whole chickens and 1lb beef and side dishes at one sitting. I eat my frittata as first meal of day between 9am noon.then I can go easily to dinner at 7 or 8, not too hungry. the cal in that fritatta is not much. still fat (need to lose 30 for my height).
    I think some people recommend that others eat more because if you eat too little for too long your body just slows down. Your metabolism slows down and you just stop moving around as much. This might not be you, though. Those lean gains guys, aren't they both lifting super heavy weights and doing intermittent fasting? I'd eat a whole chicken, too, if I went 18 hours without food and then lifted a bunch of super heavy weights. I can put away a pound of steak no problemo after a tough day of sitting on my ass.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •