Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just another "tell me why I'm not losing weight" thread page 4

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    No, not exactly, however your BMRs will adjust in relation with your new weight so if you don't adjust your intake then you will regain and/or plateau. Many folks don't realize this fact which contributes to weight gain when exercise stops and diet isn't properly adjusted..
    Once I starved out the nutrients, I could not keep up caloric deficit on the level that was needed to keep losing weight. Starvation signals are much more exaggerated. You tend to hit the point when your intake is so low, and you burn so little through the exercise that shifting the fat is just impossible, unless you are confined by a dreadful foe to a cell and not fed.

I am one of 8% who cannot, absolutely cannot "shut up the cake-hole". But I will not be able to survive on coconut butter and meat for 6 weeks either. 10 hours is my personal best on pure fat. Obviously, every morning I am determined to do whatever it takes to lose fat, but by mid-afternoon it turns out that i am not capable. Not to mention organic lamb is not exactly universally available. In fact I was advised we have a shortage here, in Alberta, and I am on the waiting list for lamb for the next year.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-05-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Once I starved out the nutrients...
    Leida, what did you mean with this phrase, exactly?

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    No one here is saying that markers other than weight loss aren't important. It's not like a cancer patient on chemotherapy losing weight is going to cheer over their improved body composition. I'm not saying that poor blood work, hormonal problems, and nutrient deficiencies aren't important. Yes - people can and do suffer from serious legitimate medical issues that affect their metabolism... but ultimately my statement holds true. If someone is chronically fatigued due to a hormonal problem, they will have less energy to move around and do things, and hence will burn less calories, perhaps less than they eat that day, and won't lose weight.

You know what the problem is? Someone comes to this forum asking a simple question, then everyone (seemingly self decidedly a qualified expert) starts playing House MD and rattling things off like insulin resistance, leaky gut, ketosis, thyroid enlargement ect. ect. when for 99% of us reasonably healthy healthy humans these kinds of things simply won't be an issue.

These are all very serious problems which require time and effort to investigate and SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY, and I can guarantee anyone who has to endure serious adrenal fatuige, thyroid problems, a heart attack, or diabetes, or whatever has weight loss on the back of their mind - most of these people just want to feel better and not worry about dying.

If your weight loss stalls don't sound the alarms of all these serious conditions like the world is ending. Jesus Christ, 99.99% chance you are simply eating too many calories and you are perfectly damn fine. track your intake and eat less than your daily maintenance and BAM, fat comes off and guess what, you're perfectly fine. If you eat below your maintenance for 3 months, don't lose a pound, and your energy tanks... THEN it may be time to consider a more serious medical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post

You know what the problem is? Someone comes to this forum asking a simple question, then everyone (seemingly self decidedly a qualified expert) starts playing House MD and rattling things off like insulin resistance, leaky gut, ketosis, thyroid enlargement ect. ect. when for 99% of us reasonably healthy healthy humans these kinds of things simply won't be an issue.
    Again, another spot on post.

I've noticed folks immediately jumping to step ten before even trying step one. Pretty scary stuff...

Leida, what did you mean with this phrase, exactly?
    When I was doing CW, I sadly took a test to determine my methabolic type. It came up with the recommendation that I would do best on 70% carb and under 15% fat. Together with my BMR at the time being 1300-1350 calories, and trying to hit 70% of it from carbs (which mostly consisted of whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, sugar-free jam and fruit), and my proteins coming from Source yogurt. To that add 2.5 to 3 hours a day of excercsise, mostly boot-camps and cardio, some of it teaching fitness classes while working full time and being a mom and a wife... I am pretty sure I developed serious deficiencies that lead to permanent hunger (and I am not talking 'peckish' here, I mean obsessive hunger), dizziness, fatigue and what's most interesting a slow weight gain. I have a feeling that I was running low on nutrients and my body was pushing my brain to find food, any food, that's why I was so hungry, and it was also trying to save fat, that's why I was regaining weight.

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    my plateau is my stress and joint issues. my stressors in my life , i cannot control, at the moment. financial being huge, and other life style stressors. so i believe my cortisol is probably off the chain. can't sprint, did it once , was hurt for months. rotator in shoulder limits weight training and even body weight stuff, so that failure is stressful also. i eat a frittata every day. no lunch, high protein dinners, steak, chicken,salmon, always some veg. steamed always. basically, stopped snacking. having a few dental issues so, eating less nuts and stuff, another stress issue is affording to get the needed dental stuff. I am trying to stay positive, but very hard to know what to do? seems like what i read, Iam not eating enough to lose, but I am just not hungry any more. fasting is easy but not sure if it is the right thing to do. is their other ways to offset the high cortisol and all the negative effects? will increasing my calories help? I live in s. fla and walking is tough. I chafe like hell. so can't walk the way i would like, at times. I am down to one cup coffee still over a liter-2 water, and kefir. should I eat more? not even hungry at dinner anymore, just eat because supposed to eat a certain amount of calories? recently have kicked up my exercise a notch. what would be the best way to get off this plateau. been primal 8 mos. zero offmy waist, nto sure abio=out weight. think is still 226. 5'10

If you are not hungry, do not eat more. In fact, always eat only when hungry, and stop when you are no longer hungry (not full, rather no longer hungry). Your body knows better than a calculator how much it needs. If you are full & don't experience desire to eat any more, you are likely at maintenance. Take away 1/4 of what you eat at every meal. If you consistently run deficits, your hunger will start increasing and become more persistent. Do not afraid to reefed when and if it happens. Try a 14 hr fast, and see if you can eat as if you did not fast after that. If it triggers binge, do not fast. With the workouts do only what you can do; the goal is to get healthier, not to get hurt.

Gotcha, thanks for elaborating, Leida. Pretty scary stuff you were practicing there, and I'm sorry for the advice you were being given at the time. Reading that reminded me a lot of the asinine program "Metamorphosis" as I had a gal recently ask me if it was a good investment.

I really think that identifying macro/micro-nutrient needs early on is important because it makes everything else so much easier. With apps like MyFitnessPal and others doing the tracking for you, it really has become that much easier to calculate. Once you have an idea of BMR/TDEE then simply calculate your PRO/FAT requirements for the day. If you've met micro-nutrient sufficiency along with PRO/FAT then many folks will actually find that they have a lot of "wiggle room" at their disposal. Whether you choose to fill that "wiggle room" with ice cream, veggies, fruits, pizza, chicken, etc becomes much more freedom of choice. I think that helps with long term compliance in a major way because you tend to look forward to these free choices each day...

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Thank you everyone for opinions and suggestions! I don't have time to address everything specifically but I will point out a few things.

-My weekend cheats are not as severe as some of you seem to be imagining. I'd still be under 150g carbs easy, but that feels a lot different to being under 50 or 20g. I'd eat things like corn, or some dairy, or have a coffee. I once had a piece of bread. They're not major blowouts, it's just that I do have quite a social life so I often go to events and am away from home all weekend so being 100% primal isn't very doable at all times.

Primal pete: With all due respect, you are talking to me like a typical doctor (who some in this community love to demonise) would talk to someone eating the SAD who can't lose weight. Please don't patronise me and act like I'm not tracking my calories in and calories out adequately. I have about 30 days of stored food logging, I weighed everything, no guesswork. I'm not about to type all of that out here, but the info I provided in the first post was correct, those ratios were the ranges I had over that 30 days. I can tell you for a FACT, my calories in are less than my calories out, unless my BMR really is freakishly low for my size. I understand the concept you're pushing, and yes a lot of things boil down to burning more than you're taking in, but at this point, with constant rashes, infections and hair loss, I don't think I'm a figure of optimal health, and I feel that this is affecting my weightloss. You don't have to agree, but please don't belittle me.

Stackingplates: I know what you mean about jumping to step 10 before trying step 1, but for me, I have already, in most cases, tried the step 1's. I actually previously studied biochemistry & pharmacology, so I'm well versed on our bodies functionality, and also how to find, read & analyse medical research. I have researched a lot of things myself but it's difficult to know where to look sometimes, which is why I'd come to a place like this for suggestions. Thank you for being concerned about that though, I do see people suggesting really out-there things sometimes where a simple suggestion could be the answer (assuming they haven't tried that).

Quelsen: I wondered if someone would have a suggestion like yours. Recently I've been doing quite a lot of reading about how certain meds (like SSRI's) mess with the metabolism and the way the body processes things. Quite literally, all of my problems started after starting SSRI's. Rashes, food intolerances, irritable stomach, infections, fatigue, deficiencies, you name it. There aren't a lot of points in my health journey that are 100% identifiable, if that makes sense. Like some things, you have a hunch about, but you're not 100% sure what happened or why. But for me, the SSRI's had a definite and huge effect, it really is the turning point I identify. I gained 90lb in about 9 months while on them. I know I have huge problems with inflammation and infection.... but how to actually rid myself of it, I don't know? I have been grain-free for probably almost 2 years, with maybe 10 grain-eating moments in that time. How do you suggest I actually kick the constant infections once and for all? Because I have researched into it for hours and haven't made much progress. My prediabetic state is not helping, which is what my doctor has told me.

Anyway, you've all given me a lot to think about. I'm going to cut nuts/seeds for at least a few weeks, be stricter about my weekends (although they really aren't as bad as my wording may have had some of you imagining :P ), and I might consider cutting the small amount of dairy I'd reintroduced (I usually have none but being on antibiotics I started taking probiotics etc etc). It's just, those small things make primal better for me. Without it, I'm left with meat, vege, and a small amount of fruit. Which is OK, but I love spicing up my salads with cheese and nuts, I feel like they contribute to my happiness hahaha.

P.S. who ever said swap green tea for coffee.... where did you get that info? I have never heard of green tea lowering thyroid function, people usually push it for doing the opposite. If you read this, could you post the link/reference?
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad quelsen is back. He's always so insightful.

It's funny but I read something similar to queslen's thoughts just today on Loren Cordain's website. It's an old post (I've never read Cordain's blog before.)
    Grains and the Brain
    Apparently there is a link between fructose, obesity and mental illnesses (nixxy did not say what the SSRIs were prescribed for.)
    Grain and the Brain | The Paleo Diet

Plus Cordain writes a lot about grains and leaky gut and it's spot on to the stuff quelsen mentioned. I'm really not in the mood to read another CICO debate but with the issues that you seem to have, nixxy, there could be a period of just wait and see healing to do, and you might want to take grains off the table entirely.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast