Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just another "tell me why I'm not losing weight" thread page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    More protein, less cardio, more weights, no snacking between meals and watch those cheat weekends.

100g-150g/3.5 - 5oz meat is not the same as 100g of protein. You need about 14oz of steak to get 100g of protein.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Didn't read other answers but:

Make sure that your one session a week with weights is HIT. You don't need more than one a week, but make sure that one counts. Body by Science is a good HIT routine.

Have you had any glucose tolerance tests done? A1C?

Low carb with exercise is definitely beneficial for either fixing or at least better management of metabolic syndrome, so you are on the right track.

Sometimes there needs to be some healing and metabolic cleanup before you move on to your next phase of fat loss. In addition there are water fluctuations that could hide fat loss. Ie. you could lose 5 lbs of fat and gain five pounds of water without a noticing, and this would not even be strange.

As for metformin check out this post by Robb Wolf http://robbwolf.com/2012/03/09/paleo...ion-metformin/
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-05-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'd try to keep very close track for a couple of weeks at least. Log your meals, everything that you put in your mouth, measure things, account for cooking fats, all that. I find that sometimes there are little details that you might be missing, like portions that are bigger than you thought or a food that's much more energy dense than you expected.

Also, I see you said tonic water. Tonic has more sugar than many colas--don't let the word "water" fool you. Try club soda or sparkling water if you want fizz.

On the matter of BMR. There's a good body of evidence that shows that a person who's been obese and lost weight actually has to eat fewer calories than a person who's never been fat to maintain a similar body weight. So a 140-pound woman who used to be 200 pounds will have to eat less than her friend who has been 140 pounds for her whole adult life. What you could eat at 147 pounds before you gained is not likely to work for you now. A lot of women around here who've lost significant amounts of weight have found they've needed to be more restrictive on their eating to lose and then maintain. This isn't to say you should vastly undereat, since that has problems too, but that a BMR calculator may not be giving you an accurate picture for someone in your circumstances.

I'd get those thyroid symptoms checked out too. There are some folks around here with thyroid issues who can maybe suggest what tests might help.

And watch out for those weekends. As others have said, it's easy to set yourself back a fair bit over a couple of days. I found that doing a few weeks of stricter paleo--I did a 6-week challenge, others do a Whole 30 thing--can help really set in those good habits. If you do want to relax a bit with friends, then pick some sort of "treat" that's still as primal as possible (so my "treat" on my paleo challenge was honey-sweetened chai made with organic unsweetened almond milk). Don't think only about carbs; think about food quality too.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Stop doing cardio, walk instead. Drink coffee instead of green tea; green tea is high in fluoride which suppresses the thyroid. Consider dropping nuts and vegetables, eat more fruit. I can do super low carbs and feel OK but not everyone can- I wouldn't bother with eating less carbs over the summer anyway.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    okay, for one thing, people suck at counting calories. are you actually eating less than your BMR every day? i seriously hope not! that kind of deficit will have you burning lean tissue in a bad way. not what you want. if you're running that kind of deficit. as long as you're eating primally, i would not be too concerned with the carbs. but you do need to adequately fuel yourself, and i would choose a better exercise regime.

weightloss doesn't happen in linear progressions, and can hit plateaus. this happens. but you need to be taking in the right amount of fuel, or your body comp and health will suffer.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    I gained all my weight while on SSRIs... I'm definitely insulin resistant, and I'm pre-diabetic.
    Doxycycline
    Metformin
    OK here is a lot of information. a shit ton for those who have done their research.

insulin resistant.
    systemic infection
    brain glucose intolerance ( possibly caused by medication, more likely always there )

here is what i would expect you to see in lab work

low HDL
    high LDL
    depressed thyroid action overall
    high estrogen
    low testosterone
    ridiculous high fasting insulin ( NOT blood glucose )
    chronically low cortisol, or skewed results as in high when shoudl be low and vice versa
    many food intolerance

If you want drugs go for them.
    If you trust your doctor listen to her.

however I suggest a different track.

step 1. rid your body of infection.
    step 2. introduce a pure ketogenic diet
    step 3. balance your hormones

how would i do this?

step 1. use Coconut oil and oil of oregano to kill the yeast that are causing the infection.
    find a leaky gut protocol you can live with and seal up those holes in you belly
    step 2. start with a hypoalergenic ketogenic diet (organic lamb) then move to a balance of seafood and grass fed beef. after you reach adaptation include certain carbs sparingly and NO fruit ever.
    step 3. either pay someone a pretty penny to give you drugs OR look into the benefits cold water produces on hormone expression

what i would expect to happen

step 1. after 6 weeks i woudl expect that my need for doxycycline woudl go away, i woudl also expect a host of other random annoyances to dissapear.
    step 2. fasting insulin drops below 10 and cholesterol normalizes. hunger dissapates and caloric need reduces. strenght improves and body begins to rebuild, hair, nails, skin, etc. body waste reduces and becomes less foul.
    step 3. ( assumes the rational choice of cold water versus the money sucking choice of BHRT) Sleep improves, quality of life improves, sex drive changes ( probably more cyclical and stronger) body composition changes. hips and breast round out rolls begin to go away.

my 0.02$
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    You mention being 'more relaxed' about carbs on weekends when you're 'socializing.' If you're regularly eating at a carb level that depletes your glycogen stores (as you suggest you are), then those 'relaxed' weekends will result in a return of that glycogen, along with the water necessary for its storage. That can show on the scale as 5-6 lbs, depending on your body weight. Thus, it can 'seem' as though you're not losing because you keep gaining that water weight each weekend, and it takes about 4 days of your low-carbing to lose it--a perpetual cycle. This process also keeps your body from a regular fat-burning mode, which is the benefit of low-carb eating in terms of weight loss. In other words, your 'relaxed weekends' are impeding loss.

Also, if you're serious about weight loss, I'd lose the nuts (much too caloric and easy to overeat) and try to eliminate snacking in general. If you have a binge-eating history, please don't fast because, as I'm sure you know, research indicates that excessive restriction leads to binges in those so inclined. Instead, try to maintain a more moderate way of eating, gradually reducing portions as necessary.

Good luck.
    THIS x a gazillion. For me personally, I always ate farely healthy through out the week and would be waaaaay more relaxed with my carbs friday evening and all of saturday and it was just a vicious circle and I could not understand why i was not losing but maintaning, now I have lost much quicker when I don't see my weekends as a reason to go significantly over my 150g carb limit.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    I see all these lengthy replies but the answer to your question is simple:

you're not losing weight because the calories you are consuming are equal to or exceeding the amount you burn.

This thread, as are many others similar to it, is chalked full of overly complicated responses that don't even address this fundamental fact in a specific way. If you wish to improve your body composition by losing body fat, you need to establish a daily calorie deficit which you body compensates with by using it's own fat stores.

You say you don't want to agonize over food by counting calories... but I've really learned something through my own experiences: counting calories can be a bit annoying, but it's really not so hard with tools like fitday and cronometer, and you save the agony of uncertainty that comes with not counting.

Should I eat this, that? Not this, not that? I dunno, I dunno... I see this over and over again on this forum when people complain about not losing that last bit of fat, yet they never have a specific plan on how to do it in the first place. Why not just count, set a daily deficit goal, and not think about it for the rest of the day? People say they don't want to "agonize" over counting calories.... when in reality it takes maybe one minute to program food into fit day, then they sit on these forums and bang their heads on their desk scruitinizing the advanced details while completely ignoring the fundamentals. Heck, try and count 80% of the time...that will be better than nothing.

You should track your progress over a month or two and snap some pics of yourself in front of the mirror. If you don't see noticeable progress in fat loss, then you know you need to tweak things and retry - if you're not counting you'll never know what the problem is in the first place.
    Last edited by primal pete; 06-05-2012 at 12:12 PM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    i see all these lengthy replies but the answer to your question is simple:

You're not losing weight because your body doesnt burn calories properly so it wont ever matter what you eat or dont eat
    ftfy
    Last edited by quelsen; 06-05-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    fyfy
    your response doesn't even make sense - are you trying to refute my post? If so, you're not even making a coherent counter-point. What does "burning calories properly" even mean? You can't say that, for weight loss, it won't matter what she does or doesn't eat, that is simply ridiculous.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast