Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything better than Fitday? page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

Thanks to Mark's mentioning Fitday when I discovered this site, I've been using it for a few weeks. It's pretty awesome but it has a couple of serious flaws, in my opinion. I love the reports!

As to the free online version, the rapid auto sign out is really, really annoying. What, our data needs to be secure? Or, is it an attempt to get us to upgrade to a paid version? If so, it's having the opposite effect on me. And apparently the Fitday PC, reasonable enough at $20, does not let a guy use both the online version AND PC. One download of online, and that's it, at least as how I understand it. Not so good for travel or being in the office.

But the biggest flaw with Fitday is the food database. It sucks. It has all kinds of weird things like lots of Puerto Rican foods. It is completely devoid of many common foods. One day I took a swig of regular (Mexican) Coke. Nothing but diet sodas listed. It is often WAY off base, you can just suspect that Brussels sprouts do NOT have 5 grams of fat per cup, eh? The search engine totally sucks, one word often bringing up ten pages of suggestions. I must have three dozen Custom foods by now, sometimes getting a framework of data from Fitday but using either the USDA or packaged data to modify. (nutritiondata.com and fatsecret.com have much more intensive information and use the USDA database.)

Although I have a heavy time investment in Fitday, I'd be more than happy to have a good program and pay a modest amount for it, maybe to $30 or so. I've done some searching without anything jumping out as what I want. Well, there was one that got a great review......and then I noticed that it used the Australian and Canadian db's! All that development and they didn't put the USDA in it? Wow. Google something like Ten Best Diet Software Programs and you'll get a sense of things.

Another thing which is more in the "wish list" category is the inability to break out, in all foods, the three fat types and several carb types, and all vitamins. It would be nice to have an Atkins net carbs category, I do that with some foods when there is a large difference.

Anyway, your experiences or thoughts?

clayberg is offline Junior Member

check out

WWW.DailyPlate.com

food database and exercise log!

clayberg is offline Junior Member

Anonymous Guest

daily burn (was gyminee) has tracking and an okay database of foods:

http://dailyburn.com/

calorie king has an excellent database (you can browse for free), but actual tracking costs

http://www.calorieking.com

i remember going to fitday when just looking around, and searched for 'milk' and the first thing that came up was 'human breast milk'. I believe the correct response to that is 'lolwut?'

Thanks, I'll check these out and anything else that PB'ers suggest.

Yeah, Tim, that's a perfect example of their messed up search abilities. Right after I made the original post, I typed in "beef." Pretty simple, eh? Five things come up, including beefalo and beef soups, but no beef. Had to get it by browsing, and there it was.

I've no experience with tracking. When I'm curious about the makeup of a food item I've had good success with: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

They do appear to have tracking also.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I second Daily Plate through Livestrong.com, that's what I use and it's pretty easy. The database is extensive, but it's also really easy to enter new foods that aren't on there yet.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

WT, I think I recall seeing tracking on nutriondata.com , but it's not the full blown program with reports and such. I was hoping it to be so because they list all the components I would like to track.

mseibel is offline Junior Member

I find nutritiondata.com very useful for analyzing food and food combinations. You can enter a recipe and it will give you a complete nutritional breakdown of the entire recipe, or you can just throw a bunch of foods together under analyze and get the breakdown. It also gives the GI rating and inflammation rating. I use it to analyze all my meals and snacks.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I use CRONoMeter.

Pros:

-free software for Windows, Mac, or Linux

-you can add stuff to the database and edit foods that are in it already

-keeps track of everything, from carbs/proteins/fats and vitamins/minerals to specific fats and water intake

-can track weight, bf%, blood pressure, heart rate, and blood sugar on handy charts

-can set your own targets for everything

-has a notes section

Cons:

-I suspect that some of the data in there isn't accurate

-not online, so if you travel or keep track of stuff at work it's probably not the best option

http://spaz.ca/cronometer/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast