Thread: Paleo Zone page

ColinSc is offline Junior Member

Paleo Zone

Primal Fuel
    I am a big guy 6'4" 300lbs and I just started doing Paleo zone (after doing straight paleo for about 2 months to get ready for the zone approach). I picked the block count for a small female - basically 10 blocks a day - 2blocks per fat/protein/carb for all 3 meals and 2 snacks. I feel a little hungry but not too bad and even 10 Blocks is still a lot of food. I eat mostly fish and spinach with some almond butter thrown in for fats (at least the last 3 days).

I don't plan on maintaining at 10 blocks but I want to "healthily" (which may be incorrect) drop fat quickly. My questions is - is it "unhealthy" to go at 10 blocks only when my size and stature says I should be at 20 blocks? I started doing Paleo zone when I kind of plateaued at 300lbs (I started Paleo at about 335lbs).

My wife thinks I'm nuts for doing it (both Paleo and Zone) - so I wanted to get some advice. I don't really have a target weight, I have a target waist - started at 46 I think I can get down to a 34 in time. Plus I want to fold in Primal fitness / Crossfit when I get to 260lbs - that's my goal at any rate. I guess ultimately - I'd like to get sub 220 and fit (doing muscle-ups and what not) - I know I have a long way to go.

Thanks for any advice.

ColinSC

grayumm is offline Junior Member
    I have no idea what Paleo zone is, and I'm super lazy to open a new tab and Google it, but if they say you should do a 20 block thingy, then do a 20 block thing. I started eating Primal April 12th, (6'4" 225lbs) and I have lost 30lbs since then. (195lbs... still 6'4") I just eliminated refined sugar and grains, I eat as much veggies and fruit as I want, lots of fat, and a modest amount of protein. And I'm on my feet for at least 8 hours a day moving around with work stuff, less than the MaxHR Primal recommends, but moving nonetheless. Good luck, stick with it!
    Learn to swim.

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need."

I plateaued for 3 weeks in the 300-295 range and I guess I got kind of frustrated - I didn't feel like I was eating that much - eating when I was hungry with grass-fed organic beef and leafy greens and avocados (for fats) but I wasn't losing anymore weight - so I wanted to kick it up a notch but still maintain Paleo functionality.

At any rate, I appreciate the advice I may dump the 10 blocks and go up to 18 or so - I don't want my body to go into starvation mode.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't make changes after just a 3 week stretch with no weight loss. Many people find that they lose weight is "whooshes" with little weight loss for weeks and then a few lbs suddenly. It is also possible to lose inches without losing weight.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

baconator is offline Junior Member
    I did the Zone diet for a few months when I was trying to lose weight. I'm an average size female and I was eating 13 blocks. Yes you get to eat a ton of veggies but not a whole lot of protein and hardly any fat. I was hungry!! I did the math and found out I was eating about 1,300 calories. 10 blocks is even less than that. Not a good idea for a man IMO.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hey Colin - check out this lady Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition She has a great blog, and knows her stuff. Tell her I sent you, lol.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinSc View Post
    My wife thinks I'm nuts for doing it...
    I would tend to agree. You are not approaching this in a healthy or sustainable manner.

I wasn't planning on sustaining on 10 blocks, just starting there for a month or two then shifting back into my normal zone blocks. However given the response - I've dumped this plan - I haven't yet decided which way I am going yet though. I am sticking with Paleo zone (I think I was eating too much on strict Paleo - I *love* avocados) but I will modify the block size until i find something that works for me. I will also start folding in Primal fitness now - I did the sprints yesterday - was pretty intense!