Thread: fruit page

PandaRose is offline Member

fruit

Primal Fuel
    So I understand that fruit should only be eaten in conservative amounts. How much fruit should I be eating a day??

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Eat as much as you want ... as long as you are -on average- eating an adequate amount of protein and fat.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Some people are fruit Nazis and say it should be restricted.

I ate 2 pieces today. It was delicious.

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    If there is a nectarine on the counter, and I'm hungry, it's mine!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If you're diabetic, obese, or have some sort of carbohydrate intolerance/malabsorption issue, you might need to be careful with it.

Otherwise, eat as much of it as you care for. I eat up to ten servings daily, sometimes even more.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    If you're diabetic, obese, or have some sort of carbohydrate intolerance/malabsorption issue, you might need to be careful with it.

Otherwise, eat as much of it as you care for. I eat up to ten servings daily, sometimes even more.
    Wow, how does this affect your weight?

I was a total fruit junkie - in one sitting I could easily eat a whole pineapple / 5 apples / multiple bananas etc. When I started on the Primal diet I first gave up refined carbs, then two weeks later I gave up fruit (except berries - lower in sugar).

Giving up fruit I noticed the biggest change in my energy levels. I also dropped quite a bit of fat in a matter of days! (I don't know how much - I don't weigh myself). You don't realise how much sugar is in fruit til you give it up - people argue that fruit is natural, but a lot of it has been genetically modified to be sweeter (I think apples are something like 40% sweeter now than in the 70's).

Maybe it works for some people still eating lots of fruit, but I know I feel better with as little sugar in my diet as possible. If you told me I could live without apples I wouldn't have believed you but weirdly, I don't miss them at all! Bluberries, raspberries etc. are the bomb - I eat lots for breakfast.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Something that my Loving Husband reminded me about is that losing weight and eating healthily are two separate goals. There can be overlap, but they aren't the same thing. So if you're eating to be healthy, enjoy your fruit -- it's so much better for you than processed sugary foods! If you're looking to lose weight, however, you may want to average 2 servings of fruit daily. Berries tend to have more bang for your buck; bananas are great post-workout. The best thing you can do is experiment and see what works for you.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I only eat fruit in the spring and summer, and none in the fall or winter.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    dang! I forgot my cantaloupe pieces I was going to eat today. I eat what I want. I try to stay with in season fruit.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd also like to add there's something awesome about eating seasonally.

When berries are in season, try to eat local ones. Maybe save apples for apple season (fall). Stuff that's not native to your area, eat it when it's naturally in season. You'll save money this way too.

I don't stick strictly to this rule, but in the instance of berries (mostly) I really only eat them much in their proper seasons. They just taste better that way.