Thread: My Primal begining... advice for a newbie? page

Jena is offline Senior Member

My Primal begining... advice for a newbie?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there. I have been on the PB plan for about 3 weeks. The first week I never felt better I was sleeping great, exercising, and full of energy. I decided to "cheat" on that weekend. I had a few beers, cheese and crackers, and a burger (with bun) at my parents' cookout. That was two weeks ago and I honestly haven't felt as good as that first week since. I am in the process of reading The PB book and am hoping that I will get more answers as I read, but I was wondering if this was normal. I have no intention to go back to eating grains or refined sugars, but a little encouragement wouldn't hurt right now. I have been achy, my feet hurt from standing at work, and I am just tired all the time. I feel like the wind has been knocked out of my sails. I am overweight, so I know that can be a source of fatigue, but I just, a month ago, went to the doctor and had a full physical and bloodwork done and I am in perfect health (aside from being technically obese that is). I am sure my doctor would not approve of this style of eating. When I have asked her for weight loss tips she has told me to eat under 1200 calories per day and to exercise for 1 hour every day. She has also prescribed me a powerful stimulant (Adipex) which I took for one month and lost nearly 40 pounds because I literally could not eat anything. That was a couple of years ago. I have gained back that 40 pounds and then some. I want to lose the weight, the right way. I would like to lose about 80 pounds. I just need to get over this fatigue hurdle, or at least be told about a possible light at the end of the tunnel. I am willing to do this right. I am willing to put in the work, but I need a little guidance please. I have been trying to eat plenty of good fat and protein. Lots of eggs, beef, organic fruits and veggies, salmon, almonds... I even made the 'Son of Groks' pizza I found on here tonight and tried that. I am committed to this. The weather here has been very peculiar lately, I am going to start my period soon, and I have been somewhat stressed out lately, so I have a feeling that has something to do with my energy levels, but I can't help but feel I am missing something. Its like I went out, washed my car, got a tune-up, new tires... and forgot to put the gas in. I just feel like I am making some obvious rookie mistake. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome.

One cheat wouldn't have these lasting effects and it seems like you have been on too long for "carb flu." The weather, period and stress probably are factors. Are you getting enough good sleep? what do your daily meals look like? Have you tried skipping meals (IF)?
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Thanks for replying Hedonist. I think I am getting enough sleep, its all I feel like doing really. I slept for 11 hours just now and feel pretty good, so hopefully this will continue throughout the day. My daily meals vary, but yesterday I had 3 eggs with homemade salsa and guacamole for breakfast. I was forced to skip lunch (work) but I had a container of trail mix (almonds, raisins, dried apricots, and dark chocolate) and a container of strawberries and grapes. I made a primal pizza for dinner and had about 2-3 small pieces. I used almond flour, eggs, and olive oil for the crust. Fresh whole milk mots, bacon, and olives for the toppings... oh and organic pizza sauce. Nothing had any added sugar or grains, except the dark chocolate has a little sugar, but I don't eat it very often. On a typical day I try to eat more meat and animal fat, but sometimes it is hard because it is so filling. I have skipped meals, but not really intentionally. I will have to read more on intermittent fasting and see what it is really all about. I also just realized that I have not been getting as much sun exposure as I was in the first week. Maybe that is part of the problem? I will have to get outside for a while today since it is sunny and fairly warm (so far at least!) Michigan weather, ugh... Thank you for responding. I only have one friend to talk to about this stuff and she hasn't been doing this that long either. I appreciate it.

Cristina2 is offline Junior Member
    Honestly that doesn't sound like you are eating enough, to me. Are you tracking your calories? That sounds like too much fruit maybe, not enough protein? And where are the veggies? I know for me, eating a ton of fresh veggies gives me a lot of energy. One time I was in a bad mood recently and opened up one of my salad containers that had kale, bell pepper, celery, broccoli and cucumber in it, and just started eating it by the handful while on the computer, and half an hour later it was gone (3-4 cups or so) and I felt a lot better, haha.

Oh I eat lots of veggies, but you are right I may not be eating enough. There were not many veggies in my day I detailed above I guess, but with the salsa and pizza I did get some. Today I have eaten a ton of broccoli, carrots, and tomatos already. And I might be eating too much fruit, I just love it so much, lol. As my day wore on yesterday I did start to feel better and by the evening I was bursting with energy. I guess I am having a hard time getting enough fat and protein. I just get so full eating this way, its hard. Wow... I never thought that statement would come out of my mouth, haha. I am not tracking calories or anything just yet. I am trying to see how I do just by eliminating grains and sugar, and cutting way back on dairy. Part of the appeal of this program is the ability to do it without tracking all of that stuff, but either way I am committed to doing it. thanks for the advice... I will try to load up on more veggies and protein!