Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Road Trip Provisions page

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member

Primal Road Trip Provisions

Primal Fuel
    Okay - so I am going to spending 2 days driving from New York State to North Carolina and on to New Orleans (in search of a new job) and want to spend as little as possible on food on my way - stops for coffee to keep me going, but little else. I also don't want to rely on IFs or typical road fare...

So I am thinking some homemade jerky (I use one of the Paleo Parents recipes for ground beef jerky and it is awesome), sweet potato bars, some homemade nut butter, cut veggies, maybe some dried fruit - to keep me from the fruity candies (a major downfall of mine) and homemade dark chocolate candies, and a gallon of water.

Any other ideas? I know that if I try to fast (I am just not there yet) I will end up stopping and gorging on junk food at some point, and that candies and snacking things tempt me, especially when I am bored. I want to lay in a supply of things I can snack on guilt free, keep my energy up, and not spend ridiculous amounts of money.

Thanks for your input
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'd get some fresh fruit instead of dried. I'd bring a cooler. I'd have some hard boiled eggs in there and some cooked meat that I don't mind eating cold. I also love iced coffee, so I'd make a big batch and drink that instead of buying coffee on the road.

Personally, I wouldn't want all the candy, nut butters, and sweet potatoes if I'm sitting on my butt all day, but I don't tend to need a lot of carb to be happy. YMMV.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Yes, on the cooler. I'm going to be driving down to Florida from Tennessee, about 11 hours, and figure I'll make a smoothie and put it in a thermos in the cooler for the afternoon, but also meatballs, sausages, maybe some kefir, oranges and macadamia nuts. I'm probably going to be taking some provisions for when I'm at my sister's house (They eat mostly SAD) and possibly some frozen meat (as I've been talking a couple of things up), as I'm not sure where to get what. The best rated cooler I've found for keeping ice is the Coleman Extreme, which comes in different sizes. Ice is easy to get on the road so just precook some stuff, meats, boiled eggs, etc . . .

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I'd get some fresh fruit instead of dried. I'd bring a cooler. I'd have some hard boiled eggs in there and some cooked meat that I don't mind eating cold. I also love iced coffee, so I'd make a big batch and drink that instead of buying coffee on the road.

Personally, I wouldn't want all the candy, nut butters, and sweet potatoes if I'm sitting on my butt all day, but I don't tend to need a lot of carb to be happy. YMMV.
    I know if I don't have some of the carby stuff I will stop and buy carby stuff that is not primal or even remotely good for me. If I go with fruit, nut butters, etc it will help me stave off a binge. I can't stand iced or cold coffee, so I am planning stops at Starbucks for a nice dark coffee with heavy cream into my trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Yes, on the cooler. I'm going to be driving down to Florida from Tennessee, about 11 hours, and figure I'll make a smoothie and put it in a thermos in the cooler for the afternoon, but also meatballs, sausages, maybe some kefir, oranges and macadamia nuts. I'm probably going to be taking some provisions for when I'm at my sister's house (They eat mostly SAD) and possibly some frozen meat (as I've been talking a couple of things up), as I'm not sure where to get what. The best rated cooler I've found for keeping ice is the Coleman Extreme, which comes in different sizes. Ice is easy to get on the road so just precook some stuff, meats, boiled eggs, etc . . .
    Cooler is definitely a good idea, and the meats I can eat cold - I made a fantastic pot roast the other day that would make great road food. Each half of my trip will be about 12 hours, and my friend is also far from primal, plus I will be moving into a temporary apartment, and will not go grocery shopping for a couple days, so having some pre-cooked stuff will help in that regard too.
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I always travel with a cooler, it's like a part of my body now. A typical list of foods I pack involve some combination of:

Canned fish (herring, tuna, sardines)
    cold cuts like roast beef or turkey breast and some mustard.
    Hard boiled eggs
    tupperware with fruit, plus bananas
    peeled/cut carrots, celery - good for dipping into nut butters, if you eat those
    Maybe a tupperware with rice, or sweet potato (though you could also just bake some potatoes and keep them whole, wrapped in tin foil)
    zucchini/kale chips (so I'm not tempted to buy the crap kind)
    some dried fruit

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    I make that first drive often.

Try to hit DC before noon or after 7pm, or be prepared for major backups on I95 between DC and Richmond.

My go-to now for road food is cold cuts. I particularly like rolling liverwurst up in turkey breast. Roast beef is good, too. Boars Head brand are gluten free, or look for a deli that roasts their own.

Cut fresh apples, carrot sticks, matchsticked bell peppers and zucchini are also good.

I tend to go for foods I can eat while driving without making a mess. I have no clue how you intend to dip anything in nut butters while driving. And remember, you're going to be sitting on your ass for 12+ hours. You won't need that much food.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    And remember, you're going to be sitting on your ass for 12+ hours. You won't need that much food.
    Yup- I'd do a big breakfast at home, then a good dinner. No need to eat while driving because you are likely snacking while bored. If you are worried about getting light headed or hungry or having a bad reaction to 12 hours of fasting, throw in a can of tuna or something inconvenient and not a favorite to deal with any real need for food.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Oh.

And best fuel prices are going to be in NJ and VA. Wait until you get past DC though. NC will be 20-25 cents higher per gallon thanks to gas taxes.

There's a Shell station off I85 near the Dinwiddie County Airport outside Petersburg, VA that has good prices.

As Magnolia said, big breakfast, 12 hours later until dinner shouldn't be an issue. It's likely boredom or habit eating. So another option is something low-calorie but filling. Bag of baby carrots and beef jerky might be a good option.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Bring a head of lettuce and make lettuce wraps with all the goodies in your cooler.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would recommend going light on food. If I eat carb-dichroic on a road trip, I tend to get sleepy. If I recall, falling asleep at the wheel violates one of the primal blueprint rules. I have done a few epic solo looooong distance drives. Not eating much was a key. Also pulling over for a power nap at the first signs of drowsiness. I would set my alarm for maybe 15 minutes, doze off, jum out of the car after the alarm went off and do a few sprints, and head on down the road. Have fun on the drive. Read Steinbeck's "travels with Charlie"
    Last edited by OneDeltaTenTango; 06-05-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast