Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Living As A Teen; Too many nuts? page

runningforme is offline Junior Member

Primal Living As A Teen; Too many nuts?

Hello everyone! I just officially started my Primal journey today! I've been decreasing my carbs for a while, but after discovering that I am intolerant to gluten I decided to go primal. My problem is this though, I'm still at living at home. My family eats meat a maximum of two times a week. I've been relying on lots of nuts (around 5-6 servings a day of raw flax seed, sunflower seeds, and almonds) for the past 3 months to get enough calories. I've added eggs in (3-4 a day) and meat when I can. I eat lots of veggies and have a Whey Protein shake everyday. Is it healthy to eat this many nuts or should I cut back? What do I replace them with to get enough calories/fat? I do not consume any dairy except for the whey protein and the only dairy I would be able to consume would be cottage cheese or cheap mozzarella cheese.Thank you!

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    maybe eat some fish instead. canned salmon, tuna and sardines are not very expensive, but loaded with protein and omega-3's. nuts have alot of omega-6's, not so good to eat large amounts. and maybe eat more eggs, they are cheap and can be hard-cooked to store in the fridge in case of "emergency".

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HopelessDreamer View Post
    maybe eat some fish instead. canned salmon, tuna and sardines are not very expensive, but loaded with protein and omega-3's. nuts have alot of omega-6's, not so good to eat large amounts. and maybe eat more eggs, they are cheap and can be hard-cooked to store in the fridge in case of "emergency".
    +1 Yes, too many nuts.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Doing occasional nut binges are fine, but it is not advisable to do this more than VERY occasionally. Yep, too many nuts.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Canned fish and more eggs are great advice. Do you have any disposable income? If so, maybe try picking up a package of chicken thighs or ground beef. You can cook them up in large batches and then freeze them for "emergency protein". You would not have to do anything fancy - just salt and pepper and in the oven til cooked. Or pan fry the ground beef with salt and pepper then freeze.

If you are not eating any junk food any more maybe you could convince your parents to give you a little extra protein allowance?

If none of that works, you could consider adding in some white rice with butter or some beans. I would eat soaked beans before consuming and excess of nuts.

Good luck and congrats on finding primal eating while you are still young
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Also if you can you can buy greek yogurt. Delicious with blueberries. And for when you eat nuts, I'd go with macadamias
    well then

Thanks everyone! I'm just having trouble eating enough (I lift heavy 3 times a week and do HIIT 2 times a week), so the nuts were an easy way to do it. Would 2-3 servings a day be alright? What are good fatty foods to eat?

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HopelessDreamer View Post
    Great Advice
    Quote Originally Posted by runningforme View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'm just having trouble eating enough (I lift heavy 3 times a week and do HIIT 2 times a week), so the nuts were an easy way to do it. Would 2-3 servings a day be alright? What are good fatty foods to eat?

See above Sardine in Olive Oil are pretty good, also smoke Mackerels. You can also fry some eggs in Ghee or Mixed Coconut Oil with your Whey ( I do it with my Vanilla Whey, tastes great) etc. Good luck!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Since you are growing and working out you need to make sure you get enough protein. I have a friend that tried to do paleo eating very little meat and substituting with nuts and dairy, needless to say she was always hungry. Good fats like coconut oil and butter will help. Like Jammies said chicken thighs are cheap, I like to toss them in wheat free tamari and roast them. Do you eat sweet potatoes? At your age it is vital that you get enough to eat.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you! I'll try that fried egg!

I do eat sweet potatoes when I can. I'm trying to keep my carbs below 150, but I'm thinking that may have to change in order to consume enough food. I am definitely getting enough protein (1-1.5g/lb), I'm just having difficulty finding fat sources that aren't nuts. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast