Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Barefootgirl page

BareFootGirl is offline Junior Member

Cool Primal Journal - Barefootgirl

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone - this is the second time I've tried to make something like the Primal lifestyle work. Although, it's more about the food that I have trouble with and how to balance with exercise to get optimal results then the lifestyle itself. I'm not hard core by any stretch. But I do like the feeling of working out and eating right than not. For me it's all a balance now of trying to stay fit and feeling if not looking young! I know it sounds a little shallow - I'm not. Really!

I can't do this on my own. Although I have a friend who does this, he introduced me to it, I would really like to hear from you. I'd appreciate any feedback/advice you may have for me!

I have nothing really to complain about. I am a relatively healthy 52 yr old woman. I have been active all my adult life. Working out 4, 5, 6, 7, days a week (depending on how I felt and what my life was like). I've done aerobics and all that stuff, running/treadmill (until my knee gave out), stepper, weights and yoga. I maintained yoga throughout my fitness life (for 30 years); the vigorous kind for the last 12. Those last 12 years I focused on yoga, 1. because it was strenuous enough, 2. it was hard to get anything from yoga if I kept tightening the muscles I was trying to work. I even gained a little weight. I used to say that doing yoga gave me my body back. I didn't think that trying to look like Jamie Lee Curtis in Perfect was healthy for me. It wasn't my body, you know? Even though I indulged in sweets (I love them all!), I was able to stay within my target weight. I've always been pretty aware of what I ate and when. And as I got older, I cut down on all the stuff that is recommended by Primal because I was well aware of what sweets, diet drinks, processed foods etc., did to your health and diet. Slowly my diet turned Paleo (give or take) without me even knowing it about 2 years ago. Although I haven't been very strict about it, with exercise and my diet I was able to maintain my health and weight relatively simply until a year ago.

Last April ('11), I added lifting weights to my fitness/yoga regime. To my surprise, I gained 5 pounds in 6 months. And then by the end of the first year of lifting weights I gained another 5! And not in a good way. It wasn't muscle weight because I didn't really see much gains on that front. Yes I started to get definition but not 10 pounds worth! I was gaining on my thighs, my hips and my belly. I was told to eat more protein and I did. But I don't think I have the right balance. Well obviously. I think menopause and the hormonal stuff threw my system out of whack so quickly that I was blind sided. So what to do?

I was so distressed last week that I almost gave up. No I didn't go for the gallon of ice cream but I did consider buying a strawberry shortcake big enough for 20 and having that in one go!

This is what I think happened:
    - yoga and my diet for the past 30 years changed, and so did my body, but not to the point of gaining weight because my hormones and metabolism countered any bad behavior on my part
    - menopause + losing my business + not getting as much yoga (activity) in + adding weights and not eating enough to counter the extra activity + my body stressing out because maybe I wasn't getting enough down time - I don't sleep very well either...
    all added to a quick weight gain (well it caught me by surprise!)

I'm 5'5". Weight - 136lbs.

My fitness regime goals:

- lose the 10 pounds I've gained in the past year (yes that's important to me). mostly because of belly fat and thickening thighs (*sigh*)
    - find a balance between working out, food intake and rest so that I don't gain this weight back
    - maintain a healthy lifestyle for my health, and my jeans!
    - look good!

What I was doing:
    - yoga most days
    - weights alternating upper and lower body - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - this seemed too much for my body

I think I have to not push so hard - not like in earlier years. Slow and steady now as some people are saying here in their journals:

Starting Now:
    Mondays - yoga (vigorous)
    Tuesdays - weights/yoga
    Wednesdays - go to my trainer and do a cardio extravaganza
    Thursdays - weights/yoga
    Fridays - yoga (vigorous)
    Saturdays and Sundays - yoga (whatever I feel like doing)

Day 1: Primal Food Intake Today:

B: almonds + organic unripened banana

S: green tea

L: marinated chicken breast, big green salad with kale, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, cranberries

S: quinoa + green tea

D: apple + organic hard cheese

exercise: yoga (vigorous) - one and a half hours

So that's it for today.

I don't know if these changes will work...I welcome your feedback!

See you tomorrow.

Barefootgirl
    Last edited by BareFootGirl; 06-06-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Have been reading other people's journals and wanted to be more detailed; lay it all out on the table. I will continue to do this if I think I've left anything out...

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    Hi there Barefoot So, barefoot often? Glad to have you here
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

I barefoot most of the time - even got me a pair of those toe shoes. They're great! Thx for the welcome Alessandra! Hey do you know how I can upload a profile pic. Mine doesn't seem to want to come up...

Hi everyone

Woke up feeling good. Not too hungry.

Day 2: Primal Food Intake Today:

B: almonds + a little quinoa

S: green tea

L: grilled salmon, mango, pineapple and onions, big green salad with peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, some feta cheese
    (this is the worst time for sweet cravings! after I eat I want to dive into a nice slice of something sweet and hopefully chocolatey! But I won't - and don't. Drag.)

S: almonds + green tea

D: not sure...(added later) - some veg stir fry and a little beef (very little)

exercise:
    Weights - 3 super sets (very rapid w/break in between), 3sets/15reps (in lbs)

back - wide pulls @ 45, 45, 50
    shoulders - side raises @ 7.5, 7.5, 10
    triceps - nosebreaker @ 15, 15, 20

back - seated cable pulls @ 45, 45, 50
    shoulders - dbl. front raises @ 20, 20, 25
    triceps - pushdown @ 25, 25, 25

back - dead lifts @ 40, 40, 50
    shoulders - seated row @ 5, 5, 7.5
    triceps - dips w/legs up @ 15dips, 15dips, 15dips

yoga for 20 mins to stretch out

About the Paleo way of eating:
    Is buttermilk ok in moderation? what about quinoa? mozzarela? feta?

That's it for today.

See you tomorrow.

Barefootgirl
    Last edited by BareFootGirl; 06-05-2012 at 08:39 PM.

So my third day has come and gone. Still struggling with sweet cravings after I eat my big meal! It's all I can do to not reach for all the sweets that are still in the house. But I am determined to see this through.

Haven't started counting calories, or fats, or carbs. But I think I'll do this till the end of the week and on the weekend take the time to figure all that out. I still don't think I'm eating enough of protein and maybe too much fat...I'll know soon.

I don't have a lot of energy after today, but I'm not hungry - at least I think I'm not. Oh well. I hope I get the hang of this new way of thinking - I'm so used to starving myself and doing without. Unlike some of the people on the forum, I actually like the feeling of hunger! I know, crazy right?

Here's what happened today:

Day 3: Primal Food Intake Today:

B: greek yogurt + strawberries, blueberries, half organic unripened banana

L: grilled salmon, green onions, parsley, big green salad with peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, some feta cheese

D: not sure...maybe some cheese (very little) or chicken

exercise:
    cardio extravaganza -

warm up:
    run in place
    jump rope
    jumping jacks
    straddle forward bend stretch
    straight front leg forward bend stretch
    runners stretch
    sun salutations 6x adding warrior postures
    - 4 mins

ball kicks - 20 ea. side
    hook/upper cut/side kick - 15 ea. side
    three direction kicks - 18 ea. side
    airborne heisman - 30 secs
    swing kicks - 30 secs
    jump shots - 30 secs
    tires - 30 secs
    wadle jades - 30 secs
    circle round the towel - 15 secs ea. side
    up and over - 1 min
    agility - 1 min
    skater - 1 min
    stairs - 1 min
    - 36 mins

Cool down:
    some yoga moves to stretch out and cool down
    - 5 mins

Ab work - The AB RIPPER @ 15 reps each
    - 10 mins

= 55mins

I definitely was tired after this. My stamina isn't what it was before I went away for a month. I got sick during that time too and I think I really weakened. How I know is that before I left I did the Ab Ripper with NO problem. It was so easy to me. Today I really felt it by the end. Gotta build back up! I hope I'm eating enough!!!

That's it for today.

See you tomorrow.

Barefootgirl
    Last edited by BareFootGirl; 06-06-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Here it is for today:

This morning I was exhausted. Mostly from the workout yesterday. At least my body was. So I went off routine and did a fairly low vigorous yoga practice. Some of you may not believe that a yoga practice can be vigorous. A friend of mine put a heart monitor on while practice and even his early (extremely early, morning low vigorous practice averaged out to be the average exertion and heart rate for his age. He was very surprised...I wasn't.

Day 4: Primal Food Intake Today:

B: nothing - sorry - really busy - very busy

L/D: grilled chicken, big green salad with peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli

S: almonds + some white wine

Exercise:

yoga - low vigorous - 1 hour

That's it for now.

Barefootgirl
    Last edited by BareFootGirl; 06-08-2012 at 08:08 AM.

So here it is - Day 7. I have followed my meal plan all weekend except for Friday.

Day 5 - had a banana and an apple w/ almonds for breakfast.

For dinner, I went to a new restaurant here in the downtown of my small town and had a good meal - well, to me a feast.
    Started with oysters (3), and smoked salmon (by the way all of this are small portions (tapas style). Then I had a small tomato and brie tart (soooooo good) and a lovely arugula salad w/ radish and a vinaigrette. After that shared a small charcuterie board w/ a hard cheese, salami, tartine and prosciutto. Yum. Accompanied by a couple of martinis. All in all a good meal but really not very paleo...

Exercise:

Day 6: Primal Food Intake Today:

B: strawberries, peaches and greek yogurt

L/D: grilled lamb (two small racks), grilled ribeye (small piece), big green salad with peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli

Exercise:

none today

Day 7: Primal Food Intake Today:

B: blue berries and greek yogurt

L/D: scrabbled eggs, some cheese, peach, avocado

Exercise:

Back on track, I guess. At least the way I am working this right now. Still have to delve into the Primal reading to get a real grasp of all this...that's my task for this week.

I went off my initial workout plan this week because after Wednesday's cardio workout I felt a little exhausted. I think doing weights and then cardio x-travaganza, and then weights again in a row was a little much for my body. So I changed the plan for this week. Hopefully I'll feel better by the time Wednesday roles around...

Starting Tomorrow:
    Mondays - weights/yoga
    Tuesdays - yoga (vigorous)
    Wednesdays - go to my trainer and do a cardio extravaganza
    Thursdays - yoga (vigorous)
    Fridays - weights/yoga
    Saturdays and Sundays - yoga (whatever I feel like doing)

I'm not necessarily tied to any idea of what works and what doesn't. I just go with how I'm feeling and I really try not to push myself if I feel that exhausted, run-down feeling. I still have to find balance with what and how much I eat with my workout routine. So hopefully this will feel better.

Thanks for tuning in. See you tomorrow.

Barefootgirl

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    That's good that you go with what works and what doesn't. You're listening to your body and that's important.
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

Thx. Alessandra. Wanted to finish reading your journal last week. Couldn't! Hope to be able to catch with you this week!

BFG

Today was one of those days. The kind of day that falls apart before it starts. I don't sleep well at the best of times, but, man, last night...I was awake till 6:30am - no kidding and finally fell asleep till 8am and then fell asleep till 9:15 and then finally got up at 10:15. F*ck. My head was buzzing all day. So obviously, I didn't go to the gym to do weights. I felt much too tired and doing my weights would have stressed my body more. So not even yoga. I didn't feel like it. But I made sure I ate well and a lot. Maybe too much...

In light of this, I'm going to add another "recording section" to my journal. Sleep. Because it contributes to our state of health, and exercise and food intake are determining factors in how well we sleep. It all works together. So..., it will be interesting, at least to me, to see how my sleep changes here-on-out.

Sleep: Duration 1.5 hours + 1hour = 2.5 hours

Day 8: Primal Food Intake Today:

B: nothing - woke up late so had lunch

L: tuna, big green salad with peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, kale (a little mayo, balsamic vinegar and olive oil)

D: 1/2 beef hamburger patty, 1/4 bison patty, baked sweet potato w/butter and ginger

Exercise:

none

Tomorrow is another day...

BFG
    Last edited by BareFootGirl; 06-12-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast