Thread: 8+ lbs. down in a week. page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

8+ lbs. down in a week.

Primal Fuel
    I have been Primal for 14 months. In that time I've lost 90 lbs. There have been 2 or 3 plateaus along the way and my weight loss has been slow, only about 6 1/2 lbs per month, because I've been in a wheelchair for 2 years waiting for a broken femur to mend, I couldn't exercise a lot. Over the past 3 weeks my weight loss stopped and I gained 1/2 to 1 lb. When I weighed this past week I had lost a bit over 8 lbs. I'm pretty sure this isn't initial water loss. I haven't changed what I ate or how much. I don't track carbs or calories because I tend to get rigid and somewhat obsessive in interests I take on and I partly chose Primal because of the freedom of not having to follow a "plan". I ate chicken and speghetti squash for breakfast and it was liberating. Of course, I eat very low carbs and no grains or sugar. The only difference is that now that the break is healed I've transitioned to a walker and now a cane. This move to a cane and walking more has been going on for months and I lost weight at the previous rate I had before. I feel good but I have absolutely no appetite. My stomach growls but I'm not hungry. I force myself to eat because I need the energy and always eat until I feel satisfied. Some of the people I work with that have seen me gradually shrink over time, have been very surprised that I look so much smaller in such a short period of time. Having said all that . . . I need to know if this unusual drop in weight just happens now and then.

deeter is offline Junior Member
    I wouldn't worry to much if you feel good, but usually that kind of weight loss is water weight. With the gain before that could be what happen. I am finally start the primal diet this weekend, with summer here and farmer markets finally open I can do it right. I hope to do half as well as you have!!

Quote Originally Posted by deeter View Post
    I wouldn't worry to much if you feel good, but usually that kind of weight loss is water weight. With the gain before that could be what happen. I am finally start the primal diet this weekend, with summer here and farmer markets finally open I can do it right. I hope to do half as well as you have!!

Thanks, that eases my mind. I managed to not get too concerned since I felt just fine. During that period I also dropped an entire pant size, it made me happy but also that seemed like a huge change for such a short period of time. Up to that point my weight loss hadn't been much more that about a lb. a week or less. Right now I'm trying to get along on one pair of jeans and one pair of dress pants per size just to save money. One of my friends volunteers at Rivivals, a second had clothing store. I think they're just in Calif. I've had her pick me up a pair of jeans for only about $3 or 4 dollars. They were so soft and well broken in and not a rip or tear on them. I'm of the age that prefers my jeans in good shape. I had, after 14 months, gotten to the place, eating Primally, that I'm just not hungry, ever. Soon, I was started to skip meals and just eat very little when it seemed necessary. I have always been a big eater and this change in my appetite was disturbing. I've started to push more vegetables and protein and, since we live in the desert, more water than I sometimes even want. Primal works, but I think it works differently for each individual. If I had been a carb addict before I started I would have been lost. I can also be a very weak person sometimes. I wish you well, this is the best program I've ever been on.

Hi again, Deeter. I might recommend The Significant Weight Loss Support Group. It's part of our forum but I forget how I got there. I'm sure someone can tell you to find and join a group.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Water involved in glycogen storage can make your weight fluctuate by several pounds even within one day, but you can also have large losses without it being water weight.

I weigh myself once a week, using the machine at the pharmacists, in the afternoon when I've been fasting for 16+ hours and have low glycogen stores. I do this every time so I know that the loss each week is unlikely to be water weight.

For nearly 4 months I've lost 1 or 2 lbs per week, but I unexpectedly lost 5 lbs one week, without doing anything differently as far as I could tell. I have no explanation for why this happened.
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-15-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    Water involved in glycogen storage can make your weight fluctuate by several pounds even within one day, but you can also have large losses without it being water weight.

I weigh myself once a week, using the machine at the pharmacists, in the afternoon when I've been fasting for 16+ hours and have low glycogen stores. I do this every time so I know that the loss each week is unlikely to be water weight.

For nearly 4 months I've lost 1 or 2 lbs per week, but I unexpectedly lost 5 lbs one week, without doing anything differently as far as I could tell. I have no explanation for why this happened.
    Weighing after fasting because of low glycogen stores makes sense. I'm trying to remember if the day I weighed I had also just come off a fast. I'm almost sure that was the case. I do try of fast at least once a week. I've gotten into a ritual of how and when I weigh. Usually Sunday morning early, without my nightgown and having gone to the bathroom. I finally stopped weighing so often because I tend to lock myself into rigid routines. This morning, having changed nothing I ate nor increased or decreased my exercise, I gained about 2.5 lbs. This time I hadn't just come off a fast. I'm going to try weighing right after a fast to see if my weight loss doesn't fluctuate so much.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You mention that you didn't lose in the 3 weeks prior to this big drop, but you probably did lose, and it wasn't yet showing on the scale. While we're losing weight, the body resists and seeks homeostasis. There are times when it will fill the empty fat cells with water, and then you can even show a slight gain, since water weighs more than fat. Eventually, it's forced to dump the water, and that's when you experience that 'whoosh' of more weight than seems healthy. You probably lost that weight over 4 weeks rather than 1, and it's only now showing on the scale.

During my own weight loss, this happened to me several times. It's impossible to predict exactly when this is happening, but if you're eating the same way you were when you were losing and suddenly not losing, this is often the reason. It rarely lasts more than 3-4 weeks.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You can't, really, under any normal circumstances, lose more than 3 or 4 lb of fat + muscle per week, so when you see big daily fluctuations that's down to hydration levels, which change for a number of reasons - I gain weight after heavy weight lifting, after eating salty foods, I lose it after one or two days of low carbing, etc. - and sometimes it's just mysterious. I would track on a weekly or less basis if that.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I feel far less concerned about the weight loss now. And better yet, from all the answers, I won't feel depressed about a weight gain, I feel by good eating behavior, I don't deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Weighing after fasting because of low glycogen stores makes sense. I'm trying to remember if the day I weighed I had also just come off a fast. I'm almost sure that was the case. I do try of fast at least once a week. I've gotten into a ritual of how and when I weigh. Usually Sunday morning early, without my nightgown and having gone to the bathroom. I finally stopped weighing so often because I tend to lock myself into rigid routines. This morning, having changed nothing I ate nor increased or decreased my exercise, I gained about 2.5 lbs. This time I hadn't just come off a fast. I'm going to try weighing right after a fast to see if my weight loss doesn't fluctuate so much.
    Weighed myself this morning just before I ended the fast. Happily, I lost about 2.5 lbs. This was about 2 days after I noticed I'd gained the same amount. After this, I weigh at the end of a fast .