Thread: How long is tooooo long to keep broth in the crockpot? page

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

How long is tooooo long to keep broth in the crockpot?

Shop Now
    I tried searching some previous posts about this, but the only thing I found was the 'perpetual bone broth' that basically involved re-using the bones, but draining the broth and refilling with water for about a week.

I got these great soup bones from the farmers market, and they've been simmering on low heat in the slow cooker for 2 days and 2 nights. I have the crazy idea to just keep it on. like forever. Every time I take a cup of broth, add back a cup of water.

Is this a terrible idea? Am I going to destroy all the healthy fats and whatnot by keeping this going for too long?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think the law of diminishing returns will definitely apply here

I will sometimes make "seconds" on my stock when I am lazy and a lot of the broth is gone, I'll add more water and simmer again. The broth just becomes more and more dilute.

In your case, you'll just be drinking water after a while.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    I knew a man (WWII veteran) who kept a pot of beans hot for DAYS. He would eat beans until they were gone and then he'dmake something else to eat for DAYS. He always had something on the stove. Keeping food hot prevents spoilage, just like keeping it cold. I don't know about "forever" but what you're doing sounds semi-sane. LOL

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    I have started saving bones in the freezer, is there an ultimate thread on bone broth and how to make it?

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i think it tastes not-so-great if it has been simmering over 8 hours, but that's just me.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    A good 48-72 hours in the slowcooker for ruminant bones is perfect. I do poultry bones only about 24 hours. At the moment my bison marrow bones & beef tendon have been in for about 50 hours, and they will remain happily bubbling until tomorrow.

TorMag, I don't have the links handy, but if you do a search on the main MDA blog, you'll find several old posts from Mark on making bone broth. Happy cooking .

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I've done "perpetual broth" for about 2 weeks. The first 2 batches will get you most the goodies in the cartilage like glucosamine, chondroitin, gelatin....further brothing seems to further leach mineral from the bone and you can crack em to get some of the goodies inside after they have been brewing a few days. After a couple weeks your left with a sludge of used up grit in the bottom of your pot. Waste not want not . There are traditions called "passing the bone" were a villiage will share a bone until it is gone getting all the goodies out of it.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Good, so it seems that as long as i'm happy with the taste, I could theoretically keep my slow-cooker going for weeks without somehow magically tranforming the contents into something carcinogenic.

Does anyone consume that 'sludge of used up grit' that ends up in the bottom?

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    I have started saving bones in the freezer, is there an ultimate thread on bone broth and how to make it?
    This recipe makes the best flavored and most gelatinous beef bone broth for my taste. My first few attempts made the hous smell funky and it pretty much tasted funky too... But I'm really happy with this (I paint the tomato paste with a spatula for he last 20 mins and lower the temp a bit to avoid burning the tomato paste).
    How to Make "Brown" Beef Bone Stock

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Good, so it seems that as long as i'm happy with the taste, I could theoretically keep my slow-cooker going for weeks without somehow magically tranforming the contents into something carcinogenic.

Does anyone consume that 'sludge of used up grit' that ends up in the bottom?
    I do... Thinking its good for me. Hope I'm right.