Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blerg page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Blerg

I was so excited to start LHT by having an appointment with a personal trainer at my local Y. Goodbye, machines; hello, weightlifting.

Except, well, no. That's not what happened. After a 10-minute warm-up (elliptical), I then did interval training with 10-lb dumbbells. There were eight exercises, each done eight times. Each exercise was punctuated by 45 seconds of me side-stepping on and off half of a rubber ball thing. Cardio with weights! (Ugh.) There were three rounds of this. And then there was ab-work on the mat. She recommended 45 minutes of cardio on my off days.

Blerg.

This is not what I expected, and not what I wanted. I am a sad bunny, because now I have to find a different personal trainer, probably at a different gym.

Sad bunny hop...

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you can drop that trainer, but i don't think you need to find a new one. find a program to follow, like starting strength or stronglifts, or go with a bodyweight program like primal blueprint fitness or convict conditioning (bodyweight programs don't require a gym at all). then, you can work with a trainer for one session, just to get you familiar with the movements. follow the program and you won't need a trainer at all.

Thanks, primalrob - that's terrific advice!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    The sad thing is that many good coaches turn to shit because the majority of the general population do not want to be taught how to lift. You should have expressly laid out exactly what you wanted to learn from the coach before starting the session.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    The sad thing is that many good coaches turn to shit because the majority of the general population do not want to be taught how to lift. You should have expressly laid out exactly what you wanted to learn from the coach before starting the session.
    You're absolutely right; I should have done just that. Today my left knee is a mess from all the side-stepping on and off that stupid half-ball thing. Humph.

On the other hand, I just ordered New Rules For Lifting For Women. I figure that this will at least give me an idea about proper form, good technique and whatnot.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I just wanted to put in a plug for the Starting Strength book and DVD for a newbie lifter. I've been doing crossfit for almost a year but was frustrated that my strength gains were plateauing so I decided to start SS on my own in addition. From crossfit I had instruction on form for back squats, power cleans, deadlifts and presses and still reading the book and watching the DVD helped. I have video taped myself a few times working on fixing some form problems that are preventing me from getting to heavier weights. The forum on SS is also great for critiquing form and offering suggestions - but you really need to read the book first - they can always tell when you don't and are asking for advice anyway

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, sounds like the typical McTrainer. 45 minutes of cardio on the off days... ugh, could there be a bigger waste of time?

What is it with PTers and bosa balls?

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    I just wanted to put in a plug for the Starting Strength book and DVD for a newbie lifter. I've been doing crossfit for almost a year but was frustrated that my strength gains were plateauing so I decided to start SS on my own in addition. From crossfit I had instruction on form for back squats, power cleans, deadlifts and presses and still reading the book and watching the DVD helped. I have video taped myself a few times working on fixing some form problems that are preventing me from getting to heavier weights. The forum on SS is also great for critiquing form and offering suggestions - but you really need to read the book first - they can always tell when you don't and are asking for advice anyway
    Hey, thanks! I'll get SS (the book and DVD) also.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Oh man, sounds like the typical McTrainer. 45 minutes of cardio on the off days... ugh, could there be a bigger waste of time?

What is it with PTers and bosa balls?
    Is that what the funky semi-circle rubber thing was? It's pure evil. Damn thing stressed my knees like crazy.

As for my 45 minutes of cardio...the weather is lovely, so I think I'm going to take a lovely walk. Slowly. While the sun shines on me.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    BOSU BALLS SUUUUUCK!!!!!!. what a useless, nay, dangerous, piece of crap.

+1 starting strength.. Changed my life.
    e

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast