Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild game and grains page

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member

Wild game and grains

Shop Now
    I had a question about the negative effects of deer eating corn in Iowa. Whenever I see a deer, it's eating grasses, clover, etc, but DH is a hunter and tells me that in the fall months, deer eat corn that has not yet been harvested or has been spilled on the ground. I would imagine that at some point during the growing season they are also consuming corn.

Does this ruin the meat overall or is it still ok? Assuming the deer eats a diet of mostly grasses and leaves, my thoughts are that the corn will have a small effect, but my thoughts also go back to the age of the deer and the number of seasons it has been eating corn. Just curious what everyone else's thoughts are.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

icz
    icz is offline Member
    Um, i think you are overthinking this one!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I was told the same for Alberta, that elk and mousse are "grain-fed" since they graze at the wheat fields Honestly, though, it's not about perfect, it's about as best as you can... civilization is here, and it impacts everything. And if you have a hunter in the family, that's a cheaper meat anyway, no?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

it is. I just wanted to be reassured that it would be ok as our diet is relatively high in deer meat. It's hard to pass up when you can spend 50 cents on a shotgun shell, shoot it dead yourself and get it processed for $75. That's a freezer full of meat for $75.50!!

Thanks for the reassurance, Leida.

silas is offline Member
    I am from North Louisiana and hunting is a big deal here.
    All hunters feed dear prior to the season with corn,ricebran or wheat-shorts. Now how much of this effects the meat I am not sure . It does add fat to the deer but they are all so lean still when you get sausage made they have to add fat to it.

I don't hunt but I am lining up deer meat for myself. Hunters around here throw away the hearts n organs and do not keep the large bones(marrow) all they keep is the muscle so I will be taking all donations n may go hunting myself.

Hogs are also in abundance in our woods.

When you go through Hunter Ed up here they tell you to field dress your deer before taking it to the locker. Field Dressing according to the Iowa DNR is removing all the internal organs b/c doing so cools the meat quickly so it doesn't spoil. Given that they don't tell you how to dress the organs, I would have no idea what to do to keep them. I'm not ready for internal organs yet... I'm still too young of a Grok to be that adventurous yet (and to think, I grew up on a farm and should have been exposed to this stuff as a kid, but given it was a feed lot, we didn't *need* the organs).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I suspect it does impact the O3:O6 ratio in the meat. However, venison contains very little omega fat overall, so I would not worry about the ratio being skewed a bit.

It is a great source of meat - so eat up!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

otzi Guest
    It's not so much the grain that ruins beef, but all the hormones and antibiotics that go into their feed. Grass fed beef should be free of most of that. If they just fed cows pure grain and let them run loose to nibble on grass and leaves, they'd be fine. But instead they pack them in high-density feed lots and give them a food mix that grows maximum fat in minimal time--way different than a deer eating corn from a cornfield!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    while deer eat green wheat in winter they aren't eating the seeds. In general, though, whitetail deer don't eat grass except as a survival food. they are browsers and can even tolerate eating poison ivy (can be 10% of their diet).

A lot (most) hunters use corn feeders to draw deer to the hunter's blind. We've always don that. Now, I don't think it's a good idea for a paleo lifestyle. Feed deer corn is going to have the same affect as feeding cows corn. It's going to change their omega 6 to omega 3 ratios, not as much as a cow in a feedlot but it must have some affect on the deer's fats.

On eating organ meets. Go to Walmart (if you can't get grass feed) and buy a beef tongue and slow cook it in water as a starter. Seasoning isn't necessary. It may look gross but it taste good and is full of fats making it very tender. Peel the tough skin off after it's cooked. Or you can do like grok and eat it since it is full of collagen.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Using feed, salt blocks and mineral blocks, etc to lure deer is illegal in Iowa. The DNR frowns highly upon it b/c it takes away from the sport of hunting and simply becomes harvesting. Some farmers, however, will "accidentally" spill some grain if he has a deer overpopulation problem to draw them in for the hunters to remove.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast