Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild game and grains page 2

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sorry. Couldn't resist:

deer.jpg
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Using feed, salt blocks and mineral blocks, etc to lure deer is illegal in Iowa. The DNR frowns highly upon it b/c it takes away from the sport of hunting and simply becomes harvesting. Some farmers, however, will "accidentally" spill some grain if he has a deer overpopulation problem to draw them in for the hunters to remove.
    depends on the state's laws. In Texas it's legal for hunting deer using feeders on private lands
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    I like your sigi, Scott.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Jenn. I laid that on a doctor who balked at the paleo diet as being just another fad diet. He had no comeback and it was obvious the nurse thought the analogy was spot on at the time
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Sorry. Couldn't resist:

deer.jpg
    This is hysterical!!

There is also some concern that baiting may promote the spread of chronic wasting disease.

But the reality is that the deer don't need to be baited to be grain-fed in the midwest. At least in WI, the deer feast on all sorts of crops ranging from apples to corn and everything in between.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

mosin46 is offline Senior Member
    as stated,you're over thinking a non issue. there may be "agricultural" fed deer. where i hunt and i think most deer comes from,you are going to get maybe 30% of food from farms/bait and 70% from "natural" feed. even if the deer get into crops,that isn't going to yield the same outcome as feed lot cattle. they aren't eating ready to eat crops for 365. organ meat? had elk heart 35 years ago. it was wonderful. venison liver is the only kind i like at all. haven't had any from grass fed sheep,goat,cattle liver so can't compare that to store bought liver.

silas is offline Member
    in LA and ARK if we didn't "bait" deer there would be skinny dying deer everywhere cause around here they breed like rabbits!
    As far as corn fed deer,well, I not to worried as sure it might change there levels a lil like feed lot cows but...balance it right back if extra intake of Omega3's and call it a day in my opinion Also if you already whatch you Omega 6 intake< I do then ratio wise it all good I would think.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    There are wild deer in the UK but I think only farmers are allowed to shoot those if they are eating crops. There used to be staghound packs on Exmoor, but hunting with dogs is banned now.

The fast majority of deer are either (a) deer raised on huge estates where they live wild within the landowner's land and are shot for sport primarily or (b) raised on farms for meat (venison) (c) decorative herds ie living in royal parks.

You can't just get a gun license and go out in the countryside taking pot-shots so the problem of corn-fed wild deer isn't a big one here.

We do now have wild boar here being farmed and actual wild boars. I think you are allowed to shoot wild boars and rabbits on private property with the landowner's permission AFAIK. For grey squirrels you have to have a license. There are no wild turkeys in the UK. Pheasants, partridges and grouse are raised for sport by landowners. The first two can be found in supermarkets and are reared on farms too now.

CAFOs don't exist in the UK.
    Last edited by Artichoke; 07-08-2012 at 03:41 PM.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    PrimalCon New York
    I had my hubby slice open the deer's stomach last fall because I feared it was piled full of corn. While there were SOME corn flecks in there, it was predominately grasses and such!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12