Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What the HELL do I do now? page 4

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Very workable... we were talking about it last night. The problem is she LOVES pasta, rice, etc. We just need to find some meals that are, as previously states, 'vegetable centric' and she and my son can have the pasta/rice and I'll make and have the meat.
    Well, if she's as big into Italian as my father/brothers/sister/mother is, than maybe try Eggplant Parmesan. In my opinion, it's way better than Lasagna and it's obviously far healthier.

As far as the rice goes, it's not really Primal but neither is it horrible for you. It's just kinda in the grey area so I wouldn't try to pry her off it completely but suggest cutting back on it gradually. I've found that gradually cutting back on things with the family at large is easier than trying to get them to swear off it completely. Small steps first in my mind. As far as alternatives to rice...no clue.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I don't think my wife is being selfish at all. (Though I don't think the above post was in jest!) It's a major change in lifestyle for the whole family and requires careful transition not to upset the delicate balance that is our family equilibrium....OWWW! That hurt my brain! I am getting great ideas from this post and want to thank everyone. This has led to some very positive discussions with my wife.
    It's a strain. My SO is a vegetarian but will eat fish, I was veg for a long time and don't like fish. I love meat.... and chicken and pork. My husband hates beef, pork and chicken.

From the cook's perspective, it is a pain in the ass to make two meals, even having the same sides and a different protein. He misses casseroles (like a big thing of eggplant parm) but I get annoyed because they are a lot of work, I won't eat them and he can't finish them so they go to waste. He misses home made bread- another PITA to make. You are in the opposite spot... so whatever your can do to take work off her plate is great. Fire up the grill for your own chicken and be happy when she makes green beans, offer to clean up etc. etc.

And don't be a jerk about her diet.... and she won't be a jerk about yours. My SO and I concluded that we have different diets needed to be healthy and leave it at that.

The other helpful thing would be a list for your wife of meals/foods you like and can eat. My SO's tastes change a lot so I am now requesting a weekly list of requests for meals. The worst thing about my SO is he is a *(^*%&&% picky eater and stops liking things like a 2 year old. His mom used to make 3-4 options each meal.

Daisynyc is offline Member
    You've already received some great advice. Here's my 2 cents, as a wife and mom who cooks for the family (I am the only one eating Primal): I find it very easy to make a combination meal that suits everyone *most* nights. I try to include a protein, starch and vegetables so that everyone can pick and choose what they will and will not eat. I don't usually eat the starch, but others do so I prepare it. I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask your wife to include a protein even though *she* doesn't eat it, since others might. Perhaps she would be willing to do that 2-3 nights per week, and on the other nights, you make your own meal OR, better yet, you make a meal that includes things *she* will eat that you won't.

My husband and kids get tons of whole, natural foods, so I could care less if they eat "Primal" or not. It's not a religion. They eat far far better, and more "ancestrally" than most people, have great weight, health and energy. It's all good.

GL!

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    I keep meals pretty simple. I buy a huge box of organic baby greens from sams club. It's 4.50 for a box, but they really pack in the greens. My husband and I eat big a&& salads all week and still have more lettuce than we need. I just chop up a few other vegetables and mix vinegar/oil/honey for a dressing. It's so cheap. I also buy chicken breasts there, grill up several & eat on them for a few days. I'm on a blackened chicken kick right now. I make roasts once in awhile in the pressure cooker. They cook pretty quickly & you can eat on the meat for several days for not much money. We usually splurge on ribeyes on the weekends. Whole chickens already cooked are fairly inexpensive for all that you get off it. You can pick the meat off and throw it in bowl and heat up as needed.

jllundqu is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisynyc View Post
    You've already received some great advice. Here's my 2 cents, as a wife and mom who cooks for the family (I am the only one eating Primal): I find it very easy to make a combination meal that suits everyone *most* nights. I try to include a protein, starch and vegetables so that everyone can pick and choose what they will and will not eat. I don't usually eat the starch, but others do so I prepare it. I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask your wife to include a protein even though *she* doesn't eat it, since others might. Perhaps she would be willing to do that 2-3 nights per week, and on the other nights, you make your own meal OR, better yet, you make a meal that includes things *she* will eat that you won't.

My husband and kids get tons of whole, natural foods, so I could care less if they eat "Primal" or not. It's not a religion. They eat far far better, and more "ancestrally" than most people, have great weight, health and energy. It's all good.

GL!
    My wife generally makes meals that include and combine all the ingredients. The typical "Protein // Vegetable // Starch" model is completely foreign to my wife. She makes pasta dishes, goulashes (spell check?), baked goods, and all things COMBINED.

We are working on a menu that accomodates all our dietary needs. Ah! The joy of marriage!

I do love her to death and know that I am lucky to have a woman who is willing to put up with my BS.

Thanks everyone.
    Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
    CW- 179.8 lbs
    Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
    I keep meals pretty simple. I buy a huge box of organic baby greens from sams club. It's 4.50 for a box, but they really pack in the greens. My husband and I eat big a&& salads all week and still have more lettuce than we need. I just chop up a few other vegetables and mix vinegar/oil/honey for a dressing. It's so cheap. I also buy chicken breasts there, grill up several & eat on them for a few days. I'm on a blackened chicken kick right now. I make roasts once in awhile in the pressure cooker. They cook pretty quickly & you can eat on the meat for several days for not much money. We usually splurge on ribeyes on the weekends. Whole chickens already cooked are fairly inexpensive for all that you get off it. You can pick the meat off and throw it in bowl and heat up as needed.
    Those are d@mn fine ideas! If we weren't moving in the next couple weeks, I would totally stock up at CostCo on meats and veggies!

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

UPDATE: After a long talk with the Mrs... we have come to the conclusion that I will eat paleo for breakfast and lunch, Intermittent fast for 24hrs on the weekend, and for dinner she will make what she normally makes and I will add/subtract what I can to not overdo the carbs etc. It is more important to me NOT to upset and argue with my wife than it is to strictly adhere to the paleo plan. As she explained it to me, our son already has special diet need, so that's one meal, now I am drastically changing my diet, that's a 2nd meal, and she would make something else for herself, a 3rd meal. She refuses to make 3 different meals for dinner and I can't say I blame her. I think adding the IF and sticking to a roughly 80% paleo plan will keep me on the path to my fitness goals.

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

~ Abraham Lincoln

mmack66 is offline Member
    Jack Sprat and his wife worked it out. I am confident you will as well.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Great- and over time, you'll find meals that make you both happy.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like a good partnership

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast