Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the energy??? page 2

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    As you're not overweight, and probably not particularly insulin-resistant either, you may find you do better somewhere in the moderate carb range. Try 100-150 g a day.

Many folk find that the timing of carbs is far more important than total daily intake. Try eating the bulk of your carbs in your evening meal. This is ideal for promoting insulin sensitivity and muscle gain when it's post-workout, plus it promotes deep, uninterrupted sleep.
    I agree with all of this!! I eat 2-3 servings of fruit right after dinner most days, and sleep like the dead. Some people find that very low carb doesn't work well for them. You have to find YOUR sweet spot. If you feel nasty on 55g of carbs, try a few days on more and see how you feel. I hope that helps!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Have a high carb day.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I track what I eat at cronometer.com. I really like that it not only shows macronutrient values, but also vitamins, minerals, etc. It helps me focus a lot less on the calories and a lot more on the overall composition of my diet. And if I notice any trends of feeling icky, it makes it a lot easier to identify what might be making me feel off.

Hooligan Jones is offline Junior Member
    You'll find your niche. I had trouble finding mine because I need to be in the 20-40g range,which is way too low for most folks. Your body will tell you where it wants to be. At my level 20-40g, I occasionally experienced muscle cramps, so I added coconut water to my diet. An 8.5oz glass of coconut water (11g) after I finish my daily walk did the trick.

My legs are my barometer, if my legs feel a little fatigued when I climb my stairs at the house, it's time for a little carb boost, maybe even a carb reload. It's a process...you'll get there!

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    It took me about 6 weeks to really feel great on this plan. I travelled to see my sister in the 3rd week it was miserable. I was still obsessing over what/when/how much to eat. About week 5/6 I added in sweet potatoes and I felt better, slept better, etc. I typically eat a sweet potato or a banana every night now and all is right with the world. I have also found that when I upped my carbs I wasn't getting the steady 1-2 lb a week weight loss, but instead I will hold at the same weight for 2-3 weeks, then drop 5lbs over the course of a week. I eat about 75-100 on rest days and up to 125 on workout days. I also eat in an 8-9 hr window and that seems to make it possible for me to eat huge meals and the occasional snack with no consequence.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddasah7 View Post
    I just finished Mark Sisson's 21 Day Primal Blueprint challenge and I feel worse than when I started. ...

I keep my carbs on average 55 per day. ...
    The cut-off point for going into ketosis seems to be around 50 g per day. You're around that -- in fact, you may be under it, depending on how you measured, since some counters include fiber, which is non-digestible carbohydrate, so that it doesn't really count.

Here is what i think your problem is. If you're going to become keto-adapted, so that your energy needs are met in a different way, then 21 days may not be long enough for the adjustment. Something like 4 to 6 weeks is often needed.

Om the other hand, if you merely want to reduce carbohydrate, but still keep the kind of metabolism you had before, then you need to eat more carbohydrate. From the figures you gave, your weight looks fine for your height and your body fat percentage looks right, too. So you'd be in what Mark calls the "maintenance phase" for carbohydrate consumption. That's going to mean something more like 100 grams of carbohydrate a day -- see Mark's Carbohydrate Curve:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

So, where's this energy I'm suppose to have?? Where's the improved sleep?? Where's the "feeling the best they've ever felt"??
    You would seem to be in-between at the moment. You either need to increase your carbohydrate consumption or wait to adapt. The prime problem seems to be the energetic requirements of the brain. Your muscles and other organs will run on fat quite happily; the brain can't. It must run on either glucose or ketones. If you want it to run on ketones, you have to wait for your biochemistry to adapt -- which takes time -- if you want it to run on glucose, you need to give it enough. It needs about 600 kcal a day, which is not negligible, and you can soon dip into that if you're not eating a lot and exercise at all briskly.

As one low-carb researcher says, you can be on the mainland or you can be on holiday in Hawaii. But you can't stop the plane half-way and land. There are "islands of safety".

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Another key to energy, which I'm hesitant to mention, is natural sources of iodine. Seaweed twice a week goes a long way toward maintaining thyroid function. While I think it's ridiculous to expect miracles, there is a legitimate use for iodine in the body, and if you're low-carbing it, it's even more crucial. Some oysters will help, too.

I'm also going to support the addition of more carbohydrate on a regular basis. I'll go VLC for a few days a week, then hit the sweet potatoes for the rest of the time.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The cut-off point for going into ketosis seems to be around 50 g per day.
    It might be for a small person who is almost completely sedentary.

Many of us find that we go into ketosis daily eating 100-200 g carbs per day.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    It might be for a small person who is almost completely sedentary.

Many of us find that we go into ketosis daily eating 100-200 g carbs per day.
    Under 50 g is the figure according to low carb researchers who have worked with (literally) thousands of subjects in clinical settings.

Of course "many of us" may not know how to determine whether "we" are in ketosis or not.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Under 50 g is the figure according to low carb researchers who have worked with (literally) thousands of subjects in clinical settings.

Of course "many of us" may not know how to determine whether "we" are in ketosis or not.
    I know - it's very obvious, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone of your limited scientific understanding struggles with it.

I also know that my muscles burn glycogen during activity. This is a basic fact that most schoolchildren learn in biology classes.

50 g is a mickey-mouse rounded figure, and obviously has to be scaled to body size, BMR, and activity levels. Any fool can see that.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 06-08-2012 at 03:36 AM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast